Transgender Surgery for Inmate Chelsea Manning

Started by SGOS, September 13, 2016, 10:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Oh. I thought she was put in jail for while blowing... Never mind

Sent from your mom.

Baruch

Snowden might not have as many problems, but I suspect he is narcissist too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Laws have been enacted to protect whistle blowers.  The easiest way to circumvent the laws would be to convict her of something else.  I actually don't know what she was charged with.  Nor do I know what harm she did.  When I hear things like "threat to national security" or "treason", my first reaction defaults to "embarrassing government agencies and officials."  Not to say she didn't or couldn't harm the country.  She could.  I just haven't seen the evidence. Nor am I inclined to sift through mountains of evidence and then formulating an opinion as to their validity.

I'm skeptical in the same way I'm skeptical about God.  Without evidence, I just don't have a positive belief of her guilt, anymore than I have a belief that God exists.  But unlike the god issue, I'm not willing to waste years of my life searching for the truth.  And like what I understand about reality and natural laws, what I know about how our system works allows me to understand that a high probability exists that she's just one more victim of the system.  She probably is a very difficult person to work with.  She doesn't belong in the Military either.  But she knows nothing about keeping a low profile, and I assume she is always going to have difficulties in life.

SGOS

Quote from: chill98 on September 25, 2016, 01:15:00 AM
Manning has more issues than gender.  Just reading over the wiki on him/her/whatever indicates there are much deeper problems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Manning

With good time he could become eligible for parole in like 5 or 6 years now.  I think its at least 1/2 an act, attempt to have control over the situation like so many of his other problems have been.  He can wait and do it on his own time/dime.

As far as I know, the government has never paid for this kind of surgery for any one else.  Obamacare doesn't even cover dental work.  All it does is force people to pay for their own insurance, and insurance never pays for any an all medical bills in the first place.  Manning would be receiving extraordinary special treatment, even as an inmate.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2016, 08:22:00 AM
As far as I know, the government has never paid for this kind of surgery for any one else.  Obamacare doesn't even cover dental work.  All it does is force people to pay for their own insurance, and insurance never pays for any an all medical bills in the first place.  Manning would be receiving extraordinary special treatment, even as an inmate.

America is special, because everyone in America is special ... you non-Americans are soo ... jealous!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2016, 08:07:05 AM
Laws have been enacted to protect whistle blowers.  The easiest way to circumvent the laws would be to convict her of something else.  I actually don't know what she was charged with.  Nor do I know what harm she did.  When I hear things like "threat to national security" or "treason", my first reaction defaults to "embarrassing government agencies and officials."  Not to say she didn't or couldn't harm the country.  She could.  I just haven't seen the evidence. Nor am I inclined to sift through mountains of evidence and then formulating an opinion as to their validity.

Which is why the wiki post on manning is an interesting read, in part, because wiki tends to lean left on such issues.

From wiki on Manning:

On February 28, Manning pleaded guilty to 10 of the 22 charges.[15] Reading for over an hour from a 35-page statement, she said she had leaked the cables "to show the true cost of war." Prosecutors pursued a court-martial on the remaining charges.

So there you have it.  Pled guilty and admitted to leaking the cables. 

from wiki:
she was acquitted of aiding the enemy.
Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2016, 08:07:05 AM
But she knows nothing about keeping a low profile, and I assume she is always going to have difficulties in life.
True 'dat.  And there are indications throughout the wiki article on why.  For example:

Manning after the arrest, said Manning had narcissistic traits, and showed signs of both fetal alcohol syndrome and Asperger syndrome. He said that, in leaking the material, Manning had been "acting out [a] grandiose ideation."

There are plenty of reasons to question whether gender identity is a singular issue or a symptom of something else in Manning.

chill98

Quote from: SGOS on September 25, 2016, 08:22:00 AM
  Manning would be receiving extraordinary special treatment, even as an inmate.

And then they can transfer him/her to a civilian institution and be rid of the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalking_Cat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_integrity_identity_disorder

Edit:
I do not think the above disorders are far removed from gender ID issues.

SGOS

Stalking cat?  That's freaky.  The amputee one, not so much.

jackchavez

Jack89

Quote from: Baruch on September 25, 2016, 08:05:21 AM
Snowden might not have as many problems, but I suspect he is narcissist too.
Which seems pretty common with transgender persons.

Baruch

Quote from: Jack89 on September 30, 2016, 03:37:30 PM

It makes sense ... if your problem revolves around your self image ... that narcissist feelings might be a consequence.  I am not claiming that being a narcissist leads you to act out as transgender.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Oh yeah...They are so narcissistic, they risk to spend the rest of their lives with an identity at he bottom of the food chain, making it so difficult they can't even get a normal job or a place in the society, not to mention the risk of surgical operations that might fail, not get fully successful and so on.

That means they are fighters and unconformists. Not narcissists.

Compared to white catholic flock who back lashes out to everything different than them/theirs and see them as a threat to society; create victimisation of their identity at every opportunity with "ME ME ME, everybody is against ME", they are practically real life heroes.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Nonsensei

They live in a society that callously asserts that there's something deeply wrong with them. Is it any wonder they focus on themselves a lot? If you got constantly rejected and treated like a freak you would eventually start to wonder if there really was something wrong with you.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Jannabear

Im for a single payer healthcare system
And I view sexual reassignment surgery and some cosmetic ones for transgender people as extremely important for dealing with gender dysphoria.