What's Happening to Trump's Campaign?

Started by SGOS, August 30, 2016, 12:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on October 23, 2016, 10:13:59 AM
Wasn't Trump a member of the Reform Party for a spell?

Yes, I read somewhere that he actually sought the nomination for President of the Reform Party, but withdrew early on.

AllPurposeAtheist

Denial is definitely on the rise. Give it a few years and we'll see a large group of people claiming that Trump never ran for president at all and was only put in place by 'the Clinton war machine' by Clinton central casting and every nasty word ever uttered by Trump came directly from Hillary Clinton.  This line of reasoning has already been put out there on Facebook and other forms of social media.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on October 22, 2016, 07:32:34 PMI will say this ... a lot of people are going to be retracting a lot of negative comments when Trump's campaign is over and he goes back to being a Democrat.
Nope.  He said what he said and proposed what he proposed, so his damaged reputation is damaged for good.  He was kind of a dick back then too, there just wasn't as much of a spotlight on him then.

I suspect that not long after Clinton takes office and does something widely disagreeable, you'll reference posts praising Clinton and ask the posters if they regret their support.  I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't.

I'll preemptively answer that question in advance:  I think that Clinton is the only remaining realistic option for those of us who don't want a Supreme Court stacked with Scalia clones.  I don't agree with her 100%, and obviously, not all criticisms of her are baseless, but she has a decent platform and she seems capable enough to serve as President - a rare quality these days.  So no, I'm not planning on regretting my vote.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 23, 2016, 02:05:58 PM
Nope.  He said what he said and proposed what he proposed, so his damaged reputation is damaged for good.  He was kind of a dick back then too, there just wasn't as much of a spotlight on him then.

I suspect that not long after Clinton takes office and does something widely disagreeable, you'll reference posts praising Clinton and ask the posters if they regret their support.  I'd be extremely surprised if you didn't.

I'll preemptively answer that question in advance:  I think that Clinton is the only remaining realistic option for those of us who don't want a Supreme Court stacked with Scalia clones.  I don't agree with her 100%, and obviously, not all criticisms of her are baseless, but she has a decent platform and she seems capable enough to serve as President - a rare quality these days.  So no, I'm not planning on regretting my vote.
^This.  Yep, yep and yep!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ideologues will never suffer regret ... there are still Russians who praise Communism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I'm going to be completely honest... The more I research Clinton, the more I regret it.

It makes me realise how stupid the people who act like she is the great Satan are behaving...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

People magnify themselves, by the size of the opponents they claim to be opposing.  Some people think they are action heroes from a video game.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 23, 2016, 02:05:58 PMNope.  He said what he said and proposed what he proposed, so his damaged reputation is damaged for good.  He was kind of a dick back then too, there just wasn't as much of a spotlight on him then.

Which is why, when he goes back to the party of Clinton and Kennedy, he will fit in very well and people will have to either forget (which they do so easily) or eat their words (which they never do).
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

If Trump turned Democrat, that would be something, although I'm pretty sure he would still be Trump.  I would think Democrats should be worried that he might bring his plague to the Party.  I doubt they want him.  A few, perhaps.  There's always a few.

Atheon

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 30, 2016, 01:07:42 PM
I'm still hoping for a third party victory. But I'd take Hillary over Trump any day.
The probability of a third party victory is essentially zero.

But Hillary is 1000 times preferable to Trump.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

Not to mention that nobody seems to be able to articulate just what it is they expect from a 3rd party AS IF just being a 3rd party is great just because of the number 3. Tell me what you expect from a 3rd party and I can almost guarantee you'll be disappointed.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 24, 2016, 01:03:57 PM
Not to mention that nobody seems to be able to articulate just what it is they expect from a 3rd party AS IF just being a 3rd party is great just because of the number 3. Tell me what you expect from a 3rd party and I can almost guarantee you'll be disappointed.

I expect a 3rd party to lie, just like the 1st and 2nd parties do.  So disappointment is a sure thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 24, 2016, 01:03:57 PM

Third parties mostly fail because they can't create a national structure.  If half of them could get together, they might accomplish something.  But they wont. 

Suppose a 3rd party candidate DID win the Presidency.  You've seen how the Re pubs adopted a "just say 'no' to Obama"?   Well both parties would do that to a 3rd party person.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 26, 2016, 02:01:15 AM
Suppose a 3rd party candidate DID win the Presidency.  You've seen how the Re pubs adopted a "just say 'no' to Obama"?   Well both parties would do that to a 3rd party person.

The only solution would seem to be to vote Republican.

Cavebear

No, the rational decision would be to have a functional government.  Haven't we had enough of governmental blockage of important issues. 

Wouldn't it be nice to have a full Supreme Court, infrastructure bills, tax reforms to clear out the loopholes, and some sense that the world thinks we can function?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!