News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

You're all wasting your time

Started by DeltaEpsilon, August 18, 2016, 10:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

12000 years suddenly we have "new" atheists….
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

GSOgymrat

Just out of curiosity I scanned my past one hundred posts and nine were about religion.

Solomon Zorn

C'mon man! Don't be a buzzkill! It's like fishing. You never know how long you will have to wait, but if you do it right, you might catch one, eventually.

I consider the time I spend arguing with theists to be productive, even if only for my own mental exercise. But I will admit, that there usually comes a time when it is pointless to continue.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 20, 2016, 05:39:34 AM
Just out of curiosity I scanned my past one hundred posts and nine were about religion.

How many were about "social justice"+religion?
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 20, 2016, 10:04:29 AM
C'mon man! Don't be a buzzkill! It's like fishing. You never know how long you will have to wait, but if you do it right, you might catch one, eventually.

I consider the time I spend arguing with theists to be productive, even if only for my own mental exercise. But I will admit, that there usually comes a time when it is pointless to continue.

Yes, it's a huge workout repeating your opinions over and over again.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Getting older so far has already been a lot of doing more stuff you don't really enjoy doing but have to do because it's expected of you.
And I can deal with that. I don't mind.
But that means that the free time I do get, I'll spend however I damn well please. And I enjoy hanging out on this forum in the way I enjoy doing it; talking about the things I enjoy talking about and reading the things that interest me. It's 'wasting time'... Most of the best things in life are 'wasting time'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

AllPurposeAtheist

I have better things to argue about.  For example,  I purchased some canned tropical fruit from Kroger the other day and while it was really tasty and delicious I was NOT absolutely delighted and the can clearly says that if I'm not absolutely delighted with my purchase they'll do whatever it takes to make it right. Really tasty and delicious is just not good enough anymore. I DEMAND to be ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED!   Fucking grocery stores..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 19, 2016, 05:54:51 PM
New Atheism is a contemporary intellectual movement uniting outspoken atheists. The New Atheists' philosophies and arguments are generally consistent with those of their predecessors; what's "New" is a difference in style and profitability.

The new and improved arrogant prick movement.. oh goody..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 20, 2016, 10:08:43 AM
How many were about "social justice"+religion?

I count twenty-one about social justice. I am much more interested in social justice and politics than religion. I've never been interested convincing people atheism is better than religion but I do believe in a secular society. Keep church and state separate. I like psychology, philosophy, sociology and political science and don't consider these topic a waste of time.

Sal1981

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 18, 2016, 10:40:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I agree with a lot of the arguments that you guys make. I just think that arguing with stubborn theists is a waste of your time. Theists are notorious for using the samge incorrect arguments ad nauseam, you're not that different other than the fact you're right.
Some people change their minds, not many I'd wager though. But I'm not here because of theists dropping their insightful rhetoric.

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 18, 2016, 10:40:56 PMHumans are innately stubborn and irrational creatures. Some substances ("mind altering" drugs) may make them more open but otherwise trying to convert theists to atheists is an exercise in futility. People should just accept atheism, separate church and state, prevent theists from poisoning the minds of children and prevent the government from funding churches. You should do what you can in those regards and turn your passion for complaining about the stupidity of theists and "social justice warriors" and turn that passion to STEM. Do your part to keep irrationality from the minds of our impressionable youth and the state.
I agree on the last part the most.

After a certain age mindsets solidify and it becomes very difficult to change minds that were set in stone at a young age. Best we can do is educate and lead by example and hope new generations of kids aren't as easily swayed by religious rhetoric; and going by Pew research it seems that is the case, millennials are notoriously irreligious while the farther back you go, the more religious they are.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 19, 2016, 05:54:51 PM
New Atheism is a contemporary intellectual movement uniting outspoken atheists. The New Atheists' philosophies and arguments are generally consistent with those of their predecessors; what's "New" is a difference in style and profitability.

Is there actually such a movement?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 21, 2016, 09:56:33 AM
Is there actually such a movement?

No one defines "the new atheism" when they use the term, as if it is self evident, so we are often left to guess what this means.  From the context, I assume he means, Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins and other writers who have been discussing atheism, while shedding new perspectives of theism, as it atheists bring the issue before the public.  It is often meant as a pejorative, as if the "old atheism" were better than "new atheism."

To me, it just means a greater collective mindset to talk about it.  This forum could be a part of the new atheism, a place where the topic can be discussed in a public, rather than remain hidden in a closet.  This results from a very slight increase in the percentage of people who have accepted their own atheism, and I suppose that could be called new, but nothing about the basic philosophy, if you want to call it a philosophy (probably not a good use of the word) changes.

New words and phrases often resonate so well with the public they often get used so much, with everyone using them in most any way they want that they become charged, but still lack precision that allows for clear communication. 

widdershins

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 20, 2016, 10:09:27 AM
Yes, it's a huge workout repeating your opinions over and over again.
It's more than a repetition of opinions.  It's a repetition of opinions as a response tailored to a particular stupid thing someone said.
This sentence is a lie...