If there is no God. Then someone explain life.

Started by g2perk, August 17, 2016, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 01:43:13 PM
The first two are of the old testament and war was among them, and God allowed killings to take place to those who were trying to exterminate God's children. Understand this God had a plan and it was to send his son to this earth. God used the hebrews as the ultimate bloodline to accomplish this. So why wouldn't he protect his investment.
Okay, so that whole genocide stuff isn't that bad, then.  When war is among you (a very euphemistic way of putting it), you gotta do stuff like killing women and children in self defense.  Makes complete sense.

QuoteBut God still didn't teach hate.
Clearly, a conclusion reached without much familiarity with the Bible.

QuoteGod teaches us not to associate, marry and a few other things with unbelievers. The reason is simple and logical. Unbelievers would try and manipulate believers minds and try to get them to believe in there own Gods. Example is The story of Sampson.

He teaches to love your neighbor. That doesn't mean you have to eat with them.
I notice you skipped over the parts where it says unbelievers are wicked, evil people whose mouths must be stopped up.  Gee, I wonder how.  Maybe they got time-outs?

g2perk

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 23, 2016, 02:27:40 PM
The supreme irony of all this is that in the 10th century, g2 would have been burnt at the stake for his "metaphorical interpretation of the bible" heresy. In the absence of science to tell them otherwise, the church interpreted the bible exactly as it appeared: to be 100% literal truth. That is, 6000 year old earth/universe, seven day creation, flood and all had to be swallowed at face value or you would be put to the torch. Although a metaphorical meaning could be extracted from the text to apply to your own life, what is described in the bible was taken as literally 100% cross-my-heart-and-hope-to-die true. Not "true for you" weaksauce â€" capital-T True, enforced with punishments and death.

Then the Enlightenment came around and ruined the party for the church. God, once the master of everything, saw huge retreats in his domain as science explained large chunks of the world properly. Much of what was once attributed to the actions of God is now explained by scientific theory which has no room for God. And the church fought tooth and nail at every step against this tide of discovery. Now God hides in the small holes in our knowledge, dreading the time that science comes along to mop up.

The bible, once held to be the absolute true and literal word of God, is now regarded as "metaphorical." Where the hell was this interpretation in the 10th century? Oh, right, it was heresy. Now that science has shown that the literal interpretation is not tenable, the faithful are forced to fall back on this weaksauce "metaphorical" defense, and I say 'defense' because that's exactly what it is: a defensive maneuver trying to weather the onslaught of a much stronger foe.

In any other endeavor, what happened to believers would be fairly called a "rout." In any other endeavor, it would lead you to question the basic foundations of your position. But no, the believers stubbornly cling to the faint hope of rescuing the veracity of the bible by this pathetic "metaphorical" defense. You, g2, insist up and down that you are right, and assuming you're not a poe, you have only one question from me: if your fellow faithful could be so confused about what is literal about the bible and what is "metaphorical" for centuries on end, and to make errors equivalent to saying that the Earth could comfortably fit in a tennis court, what gives you any credibility in saying that any of the bible is true? What rational basis do you provide for us to believe your claims when you and your camp have been shown to be so very, very wrong in the past?

The teaching of the bible always be a battle of metaphorical interpretation and literal interpretations, that is the exact reason Jesus was crucified on the cross. The Jews thought Jesus was committing hersey buy saying he was the son of man, and he would tear down the temple and rebuild it in 3 days. Jesus was talking about his own body being hung on a cross, buried, and rising again.

The same exact thing is happening now as we speak. Misunderstandings of Gods word has been going on since the first sermon was preached.
You talk about having all the facts in place to prove something exist and I can with that. But lets say one day history is revealed and The Holy Book Is True. I would venture to say that it would not Chang one thing about Gods word that brings a man to salvation. It may help others to believe easier but that's it.

What if the evidence is in you. In me, in us. The heart and soul of the bible is to teach us about LOVE. At least that is the intent. The horrible stories that you read in the bible , be it true or false are meant for us to learn from not judge.

One other thing I would like to point out is that if the interpretation of the bible is suppose to be literal, then why does Jesus rebuke the Jewish leaders for not understanding the bible. They were high priest and students of Gods word.

So no Its not suppose to be taken all literal.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

g2perk

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 23, 2016, 01:28:22 PM
Only when it comes to life-changing questions.

Now, have you ever even considered, with any seriousness, or honesty, that it is possible that you are wrong?
You know It never crossed my mind that I could be the slightest bit wrong. I'm very serious. Never.

I look at it this way. First,  I don't gamble but if I would I want a shore bet. If I am wrong about God I have nothing to lose..all is lost anyway. But if I'm right I have everything to gain.

g2perk

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 23, 2016, 02:41:08 PM
This assumes an intelligent creator applies.
You're assuming that simpler systems filter down from more complex ones. However, everything we know about how the world works suggests that the opposite is true. It's not that I insist there is no "higher" creation: there is merely no reason to think we should look for one.
If.
Logic, like most things, isn't worth much in a vacuum.
Didn't I say what if...[emoji19]

PickelledEggs

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 03:16:29 PM

So no Its not suppose to be taken all literal.
Where in the bible does it say that?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 03:32:20 PM
You know It never crossed my mind that I could be the slightest bit wrong. I'm very serious. Never.
This is exactly what I thought, and why this argument is futile. Your mind is closed to even the possibility that you are wrong, so no amount of reasoning is going to convince you.

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 03:32:20 PMI look at it this way. First,  I don't gamble but if I would I want a shore bet. If I am wrong about God I have nothing to lose..all is lost anyway. But if I'm right I have everything to gain.
Pascal's Wager? It's not true at all. For most people, true worship of God involves countless sacrifices in their lives. Not out of brotherly love, but out of devotion to God. You have plenty to lose, in this life, because of your faith, and much to gain by disposing of it.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Unbeliever

Quote from: g2perk on August 19, 2016, 08:00:43 PM
The simple truth of the creation story is that God is the author of creation. In Genesis 1, we are presented with the beginning of a divine drama that can only be examined and understood from the standpoint of faith. How long did it take? How did it happen, exactly? No one can answer these questions definitively. In fact, these mysteries are not the focus of the creation story. The purpose, rather, is for moral and spiritual revelation.

Quote from: The Creation Story - Bible Story Summary•In summary, the simple truth of the creation story is that God is the author of creation. In Genesis 1, we are presented with the beginning of a divine drama that can only be examined and understood from the standpoint of faith. How long did it take? How did it happen, exactly? No one can answer these questions definitively. In fact, these mysteries are not the focus of the creation story. The purpose, rather, is for moral and spiritual revelation.

Quote from: g2perk on August 19, 2016, 08:00:43 PM
As for as plants go the interesting part of the account is that God did not create the plants in the manner we might assume He did. Instead of creating a world filled with full-grown plants, God actually created seeds and planted those. We understand this from the word "sprout,"which refers to God allowing the earth to produce plants through germination (sprouting). The Hebrew word dasha tells us that God used processes identical to what we see on the earth today. Plants spouted, grew to maturity, and produced seeds.

Quote from: How Old is the Earth According to the Bible and Science?The interesting part of the account is that God did not create the plants in the manner we might assume He did. Instead of creating a world filled with full-grown plants, God actually created seeds and planted those. We understand this from the word "sprout,"8 which refers to God allowing the earth to produce plants through germination (sprouting). The Hebrew word dasha tells us that God used processes identical to what we see on the earth today. Plants spouted, grew to maturity, and produced seeds.

Quote from: g2perk on August 19, 2016, 08:00:43 PMAs for as the earth being over 14 billion years old that is just a theory according to multiple scholars. The big bang is a theory as well. Since most of the measurement merely involve the counting of annual layers, they are unlikely to be grossly inaccurate. Therefore, the young earth paradigm that the earth is merely 6,000 years old is falsified by both the Bible and science. The vast ages of the earth does not diminish the power and glory of God, but establishes that God thought that preparing the earth for human habitation was worth the billion of years of preparation Since God is not subject to the temporal dimension of this universe, it all happened "instantly" for Him.

Quote from: How Old is the Earth According to the Bible and Science?Since most of the measurement merely involve the counting of annual layers, they are unlikely to be grossly inaccurate. Therefore, the young earth paradigm that the earth is merely 6,000 years old is falsified by both the Bible and science. The vast ages of the earth does not diminish the power and glory of God, but establishes that God thought that preparing the earth for human habitation was worth the billions of years of preparation. Since God is not subject to the temporal dimension of this universe, 48 it all happened "instantly" for Him.

Cut'n paste much? I knew this didn't sound like g2perk!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Sources must be mentioned.
Quotes must be quoted.
That's just ethics.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Quote from: sdelsolray on August 20, 2016, 01:50:07 AM
As to your first paragraph, it is a copy and paste from this creationist whore webpage:  http://christianity.about.com/od/biblestorysummaries/p/creationstory.htm

As to your second paragraph, it is a copy and paste from this creationist whore webpage: http://www.godandscience.org/youngearth/age_of_the_earth.html

I needn't go further.  You are a plagiarizer.  Instead of thinking for yourself, and writing your own thoughts, you cheat, copy and paste, pretend it is your own writing and hope no one will find out.

Ha! I see you beat me to it!  :high5:
God Not Found

g2perk

PickelledEggs

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 05:31:36 PM
John 2:19

John 2:19 is
"Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”

And don't worry, I'll send you to Purgatory soon when I get around to it. By the end of the night. You can join Randy and PhattMatt

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on August 20, 2016, 10:31:40 AM
And Ouroboros eats his tail and disappears ;-)
I heard Ouroborus referred to as "autophagous." I though it an interesting word.

God Not Found

g2perk

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 23, 2016, 05:29:13 PM
Sources must be mentioned.
Quotes must be quoted.
That's just ethics.
Yes we covered this already...its a older post.

g2perk

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PM
John 2:19 is
"Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”

And don't worry, I'll send you to Purgatory soon when I get around to it. By the end of the night. You can join Randy and PhattMatt
What...do you even understand it

PickelledEggs

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 05:39:18 PM
What...do you even understand it

[mod]Have fun in Purgatory.[/mod]