If there is no God. Then someone explain life.

Started by g2perk, August 17, 2016, 01:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 05:09:13 PM
You seek proof another one that doesn't understand

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Can you order a few issues of Hooked On Phonics? Please?

aitm

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 05:09:13 PM
You seek proof another one that doesn't understand

The proof is the babble says the sky is water. But you're just another one too brain damaged to understand what the truth really means.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

sdelsolray

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 10:39:22 AM
God blinds the eyes of the unbeliever simply because they choose not to believe. You will be able to read it but not understand it.

How convenient.  Believers just claim special knowledge or a special frame of reference because they are......special.  Smarmy and cowardly is more accurate.

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 10:39:22 AM
And no where in the entire bible does God say He wants to confuse his people.  Actually He says He is not the author of confusion.

Except where he does, like in the Tower of Babel myth (confuses the languages).

Baruch

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 09:41:21 AM
I meant to say the earth was formless and empty.

Tohu wa bohu .... is the original Hebrew.  It is hapax legomena ... there are no other ancient texts to tell us what these words mean ... not even the rabbis know what they mean, and it is right there at the start of Genesis ... or Bereshit as it is called in Hebrew.

So the rabbis and priests have made a guess.  Your guess or mine, is as good as theirs.  Maybe it meant that the Earth at that time was made of lox and cream cheese ;-)

The Bible was written by Jewish men (most likely).  The old testament was written by guys under the influence of vino, the new testament was written by guys under the influence of ouzo.  It is special because it is Jewish and old ... not because it is Christian.  Christianity had nothing to do with it.  Gentiles had nothing to do with it either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

None of you know what time it is.  You think that you are alive, but you are wrong.

Here where I am it is about 5pm, but in London it is about 11pm.  What time is it?

Relative to people of the past, we are impossible dreams of the future.

Relative to people of the future, we are ancient legends ... if not legends in our own time.

You are only alive here and now, you are not alive in the distant past or the distant future.

Are you alive?  Are you dead?  Are you a dream?  Choose one, objectivists!

This is Earth, Heaven and Hell ... at the same time ;-)  No need to question what the pre-life or after-life are like, you are living it.  You just lack the perspective to realize it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: g2perk on August 22, 2016, 02:00:55 PM
Ok first let me ask you are wanting to know what the bible means about the things you are taking from It are you trying to discredit it. Let me know so I can help you to understand it.

I'll just say this. The bible is no ordinary book, you cant just pick it up and read the words then think you understand enough to have a debate about it. It doesn't work like that. Every letter in the bible was written to people in certain areas who had different cultures which in turn had different meanings of words. Like I said true understanding of this book comes with knowing Gods will for his people. If the soul reason you read this book is to go back a debate another person and to try and find untruths then you will never understand.

Don't try that, “Only believers understand,” bullshit with me, little Christian. I was a believer for many years. I was as completely convinced, that it was the word of God, as you are. I thought I saw the hand of God in everything. I devoted my life to Christ, and read the Bible voraciously. I used to preach the Word to all my friends and family, and even attended Bible-College, with the intention of becoming a minister.

Only at Bible-College, they made the mistake of including a class in logic, as part of the curriculum. I took the class in the hopes of proving that the Bible was true, through logic. That didn't happen. What did happen is that I started down a path of improving my reasoning skills(something you are completely lacking), and years later, started to allow myself to question the infallibility of it. Little by little, I began to realize that it was not only fallible, and full of self-contradictions, but steeped in ignorance and superstition, as well.

You are correct in that some of the Bible is allegory. But you are not free to say that everything that contradicts common sense, is not to be taken literally. The books of Psalms, Proverbs and Revelation, can be taken, in parts, as non-literal, but Genesis is meant to be read as history. It has always been understood by believers to be literal. It is only because we can now discredit it's claims, that believers are twisting their brains into pretzels, in order to redefine the nature of so many Bible stories, especially those in Genesis.

Believing in the Bible, for an adult, is an act of self-deception. There are many questions about life and nature, that have yet to be answered. But you will NOT find the answers in the Bible, or any other ancient text. There is no owners-manual for life.

Come out of the Cave, and look around. Accepting the unknown, as unknown, is not as scary as it seems.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: aaron2016 on August 23, 2016, 03:40:25 AM
Yeah, some people believe that everything was created with the hand of God, some think that it's the matter of evolution. And people have tried to find the answer for thousands years. I think the answer depends on your faith.
New members are expected to post an introductory thread, in the "Introductions" forum, before they start spewing bullshit.

mauricio

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 23, 2016, 04:27:54 AM
New members are expected to post an introductory thread, in the "Introductions" forum, before they start spewing bullshit.
savage as fuck

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: mauricio on August 23, 2016, 04:35:59 AM
savage as fuck
Oh, come on. You were thinking the same thing. I woke-up ready to rumble...

mauricio

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 23, 2016, 04:40:50 AM
Oh, come on. You were thinking the same thing. I woke-up ready to rumble...

i gotta admit i did and your post made me laugh. Now i gotta go to sleep it is 3 AM here, enjoy a peaceful morning.

g2perk

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 23, 2016, 02:15:04 AM
Don't try that, “Only believers understand,” bullshit with me, little Christian. I was a believer for many years. I was as completely convinced, that it was the word of God, as you are. I thought I saw the hand of God in everything. I devoted my life to Christ, and read the Bible voraciously. I used to preach the Word to all my friends and family, and even attended Bible-College, with the intention of becoming a minister.

Only at Bible-College, they made the mistake of including a class in logic, as part of the curriculum. I took the class in the hopes of proving that the Bible was true, through logic. That didn't happen. What did happen is that I started down a path of improving my reasoning skills(something you are completely lacking), and years later, started to allow myself to question the infallibility of it. Little by little, I began to realize that it was not only fallible, and full of self-contradictions, but steeped in ignorance and superstition, as well.

You are correct in that some of the Bible is allegory. But you are not free to say that everything that contradicts common sense, is not to be taken literally. The books of Psalms, Proverbs and Revelation, can be taken, in parts, as non-literal, but Genesis is meant to be read as history. It has always been understood by believers to be literal. It is only because we can now discredit it's claims, that believers are twisting their brains into pretzels, in order to redefine the nature of so many Bible stories, especially those in Genesis.

Believing in the Bible, for an adult, is an act of self-deception. There are many questions about life and nature, that have yet to be answered. But you will NOT find the answers in the Bible, or any other ancient text. There is no owners-manual for life.

Come out of the Cave, and look around. Accepting the unknown, as unknown, is not as scary as it seems.
So you have been where I am. In that logics class what exactly made you change.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 22, 2016, 05:16:17 PM
Can you order a few issues of Hooked On Phonics? Please?
"Hooked on Phonies", I think.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: g2perk on August 23, 2016, 07:56:05 AM
So you have been where I am. In that logics class what exactly made you change.

That class didn't change my opinion of the Bible. It set me on a path of reasoning. When you start to see that most of your beliefs about the Bible, and God, are based on circular reasoning, and rationalizing, it gets harder to justify your faith. You have to question those"truths" in such a way, that allows for the possibility you have been wrong, all along. It takes some serious self examination.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 23, 2016, 08:38:06 AM
That class didn't change my opinion of the Bible. It set me on a path of reasoning. When you start to see that most of your beliefs about the Bible, and God, are based on circular reasoning, and rationalizing, it gets harder to justify your faith. You have to question those"truths" in such a way, that allows for the possibility you have been wrong, all along. It takes some serious self examination.
Sounds like "The Outsider's Test of Faith". "If you were not a believer in your current faith, would the evidence believers present make you accept the truth of their position?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: aaron2016 on August 23, 2016, 03:40:25 AM
Yeah, some people believe that everything was created with the hand of God, some think that it's the matter of evolution. And people have tried to find the answer for thousands years. I think the answer depends on your faith.
Wrong.  The answer depends on replicatable data and observations.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan