what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

I think 'the Light' is a reference to the sun.  In that area and time (Biblical Jesus) sun worship was important and widespread.  I'm sure Christmas is rooted in things like 'The coming of the Son (Sun); the Son (sun) is reborn; and all the other references to the Son are really references to the pagan worship of the sun.  At one point in this season, the sun reaches the point where it shines the least for the entire year; and then, the next day it shines a little more, and is in effect reborn.  I would imagine this time was celebrated from all time.  I can imagine the ancients being pretty tired of the middle of winter and the lack of food right about in this time frame.  Christians just took over a pagan celebration--not an original belief in their tiny little brains.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 07, 2016, 09:24:16 AM
I think 'the Light' is a reference to the sun.  In that area and time (Biblical Jesus) sun worship was important and widespread.  I'm sure Christmas is rooted in things like 'The coming of the Son (Sun); the Son (sun) is reborn; and all the other references to the Son are really references to the pagan worship of the sun.  At one point in this season, the sun reaches the point where it shines the least for the entire year; and then, the next day it shines a little more, and is in effect reborn.  I would imagine this time was celebrated from all time.  I can imagine the ancients being pretty tired of the middle of winter and the lack of food right about in this time frame.  Christians just took over a pagan celebration--not an original belief in their tiny little brains.

That makes sense.  I always thought "light" meant "knowledge", but that may well be a context of modern day English, and influenced by the commonly held Christian interpretation of "knowing" that which is logically unknowable through a belief in God.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on December 07, 2016, 12:52:42 PM
That makes sense.  I always thought "light" meant "knowledge", but that may well be a context of modern day English, and influenced by the commonly held Christian interpretation of "knowing" that which is logically unknowable through a belief in God.
I think you are right, SGOS, that 'light' meant knowledge as well.  I would also think that from the beginning of our species, we realized that the sun was the bringer of life.  Without the sun there would be no life.  So, if Jesus was the light, he would not only be the bringer of knowledge, but of the very life of earth itself.  And the christians being the clever devils they are, took all the pagan symbols and holidays and sayings and incorporated them into their own religion--and called it unique.  And it succeeded far too well!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

I always assumed that being "light of the world" just meant that he was holy and a source of hope and goodness, as opposed to the world's darkness that represents evil and hopelessness. The writer may have been intentionally vague, to make the reader come up with their own answers, to fill it in with whatever makes the most sense and means the most to them.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 07, 2016, 02:26:36 PM
I always assumed that being "light of the world" just meant that he was holy and a source of hope and goodness, as opposed to the world's darkness that represents evil and hopelessness. The writer may have been intentionally vague, to make the reader come up with their own answers, to fill it in with whatever makes the most sense and means the most to them.
It seems to me that the entire bible was cobbled together from material like that.  One can read any number of meanings into much of it.  I think that was done on purpose.

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on December 07, 2016, 07:32:54 AM
Those that could read were part of the power elite, and probably looked to the Bible for lessons in sounding all "hoity toity" to the masses.

And that explains all the "thees" and "thous" they spew when they want others to see just how pious they are. So they can get away with stuff because they're so far above suspicion due to their "love of God's Holy Word." 
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

fencerider

As thou hast said, the Bible was constructed to match the editors preconceived notions of their god. Listen to what I tell thee and save thyself from trouble. Peradventure a saucer full of little green men landed, and thou didest not give to them a Bible, then they could not perceive the existence of that god.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

The only meaningful "bible" would be one that was written at the time by those who could demonstrate the same-time existence of "him".  And guess what?  There isn't one...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

widdershins

Free fried chicken would be a good reason to believe whatever you want to tell me.  I don't know what the hell is up with the stereotype with black people and fried chicken.  I'm white and I don't know ANYBODY who doesn't like fried chicken?  It's my favorite food.  You have fried chicken Friday at your church and I'll worship the hell out of your fairy every Friday...after dinner.
This sentence is a lie...

Baruch

Quote from: widdershins on December 09, 2016, 04:25:21 PM
Free fried chicken would be a good reason to believe whatever you want to tell me.  I don't know what the hell is up with the stereotype with black people and fried chicken.  I'm white and I don't know ANYBODY who doesn't like fried chicken?  It's my favorite food.  You have fried chicken Friday at your church and I'll worship the hell out of your fairy every Friday...after dinner.

Commensality ... public sharing food as a social act ... is a fundamental religious act going back to the Stone Age.  In tribal society is it called a potlatch.

Saying grace before or after eating, or both ... is also a fundamental prayer practice.

The religion of the hermit and the ascetic ... isn't much to right home about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

oh wow!!! I didn't know it was that easy. If I did I would have started making fried chicken a long time ago.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Blackleaf

Quote from: widdershins on December 09, 2016, 04:25:21 PM

They know. They have only begun to test the limits of the fried chicken.

--Fulke Greville--

godmessenger

There are surprisingly many reasons to believe in the Deity. We ourselves are proof that Existence is at least equal to us, and then superior because it created us. None of us created ourselves, so it is essential that the first being have no physical body, but have the capabilities of an powerful entity. This means that existence itself has intellect and person.

Blackleaf

Quote from: godmessenger on January 18, 2017, 11:28:32 PM
There are surprisingly many reasons to believe in the Deity. We ourselves are proof that Existence is at least equal to us, and then superior because it created us. None of us created ourselves, so it is essential that the first being have no physical body, but have the capabilities of an powerful entity. This means that existence itself has intellect and person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduMIUt9M3M
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: godmessenger on January 18, 2017, 11:28:32 PM
I don't know about you, but my mom and dad created me.  We (I guess you mean humans) are proof of evolution--your fictional god has nothing to do with it.  As for being superior, I find your fiction to be inferior to other fictions, such as Bugs Bunny and Paul Bunyan.  The first being had no body?  Then how was it a being???  Oh yeah, I'm sure you believe in nonmaterial material things.  It does seem that some existence has intellect, but you seem to be totally lacking it.