75 dead in Nice in apparent terrorist attack

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 14, 2016, 08:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siberia

I'm kind of in a hurry, so excuse me if i miss a point.

The link, again, is that their appeal to join is not religion, but social values attached to it.
AL was created way before the existence of ISIS and they officially disbanded, yes, while it's "cultural arm" still goes around calling Spaniards "invaders" (seen this myself) and claiming ownership of monuments.
no bombings, no attacks, just hate speech, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that AL or any of it's members are linked to ISIS, i'm just saying the approach tactics are the same, and i used it as an example of non religious based propaganda.

Also, I don't believe i can give an informed opinion on why the KKK is marginalised at the moment, that's why am actually reading about the topic.
But I am pretty sure there is more than one big factor in the mix.

I don't see why i have to explain what is a radical muslim. My intention is not to say "all muslims are great except for few bad apples", anyone who accepts principles of discrimination and hatred based on the teachings of a book, to me is a radical.
I just don't agree with the idea that a complex terrorist organization under whatever religion is based just in that.

BTW the spanish inquisition was created to wipe out the money of the jew bankers (who actually had lended tons of money to the crown) and used as an excuse all sorts of crazy "sins" to take in money.
Whatever you were jailed or killed. (you had to pay a rent for your prison cell if you where arrested)
God was just an excuse.

(Also, the wiping out of other religions who actually had economical influence at that time left a pretty easy to govern Catholic country)

no one expects the spanish inquisition

pr126

NO More
QuoteNo more flags of foreign countries posted on Facebook in a spirit of solidarity. No more empathic Twitter hashtags. No more empty statements by heads of government declaring that “the terrorists have failed in their effort to turn us against one another.” No more equally empty statements by other heads of government expressing their own country’s support for “our ally in its time of grief.” No more calls for love in the face of hate, or candlelight processions as a response to murder. No more clicking of tongues and shaking of heads over the horrible loss of lifeâ€"as if people had died in a one-off natural disaster, a hurricane or tornado or tsunamiâ€"followed, after a few days, by a return to normal. Until the next time, of course.

No more attempts to psychologically analyze every new jihadistâ€"to probe his troubled family or professional life in an attempt to figure out what “turned him to violence and extremism.” No more reflexive reassurances that “this has nothing to do with Islam,” that a handful of bad guys have “hijacked” a “peaceful” faith, and that “the great majority of the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims are, of course, peace-loving people who utterly reject this kind of action.” No more slick pivoting to the subject of gun control, or American homophobia, or whatever other diversion seems useful under the specific circumstances. No more blaming of Europeans’ supposed failure to accept or embrace or integrate or employ Muslims, or of Muslims’ alleged poverty or hopelessness or frustration or alienation.

No more hand-wringing by journalists, as they stand mere yards from the bodies of the dead, about the possible “backlash” against Muslims (which never really materializes). No more declarations by U.S. officials that the mere mention of Islam in connection with Islamic terrorism is “dangerous” and “counterproductive” because it “alienates” the Muslim allies and Muslim communities whose help we need in fighting this problem that we dare not properly name. No more respectful TV interviews with representatives of “Muslim civil-rights organizations” that have been proven over and over again to be fronts for terrorism.

No more outrageous lies by government and media that, almost fifteen years after 9/11, keep so many Americans so outrageously in the dark about the world in which we live now. No more of the despicable day-to-day efforts by the same actors to keep those Americans who do get it in line, to instill in them an unholy fear that, if they dare to address the problem honestly, they’ll be thrust forever out into the darkâ€"beyond the realm of decent society, unacceptable, unemployable, unfriendable. No more societal tyranny by those who (because they’re cowardly, or feel powerless, or have no sense of responsibility to preserve the precious gift of freedom that their own forebears fought and died for and have bequeathed them, or are, inconceivably, unconcerned about the world their own children and grandchildren will inhabit) treat as enemies not those who seek to destroy them but those who dare to speak the truth about it.

No more ignorance. A couple of weeks ago, Adam Carolla recorded his podcastâ€"one of the most popular on the Internetâ€"before an Amsterdam audience. Carolla, an Angeleno, asked locals about life in the Netherlands. They painted a thoroughly rosy picture. He asked about religion. They depicted a near-utopian secular country free of reactionary faith. Poof! Down the memory hole went Pim Fortuyn, Theo Van Gogh, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Geert Wilders. And Carolla didn’t challenge any of it. Then, just the other day, in an interview on Joe Rogan’s podcast (which is even bigger than Carolla’s), gay conservative Milo Yiannopoulos served up some basic facts that everybody in the U.S. would know by now if the mainstream media were doing its jobâ€"facts about the levels of Muslim rape in Sweden, about the scale of antigay animus in Muslim communities, and about the systematic efforts by European governments to obscure these and other ticklish matters. Rogan, who is no fool, and who has interviewed hundreds of people in an effort to educate himself about the world, was shocked by all of it. (“Wow! Wow! Wow!”)

In the years after 9/11, major acts of Islamic terrorism in the West seemed to come along every year or so, leaving plenty of time in between to go back to pretending that everything was fine and to resume mouthing benign platitudes. Now they’re happening so often, one right on top of the other, that we can hardly keep track of them. The only upside is that it’s getting harder and harder to maintain that pretense.

The time for shock is over. The time for heaping up flowers and candles and stuffed animals at the sites of atrocities is over. The lies and ignorance and cravenness must end, and the simple facts must be faced. The free, civilized West has, for years now, been the target of a war of conquestâ€"a war waged in many forms (of which terrorism is only one) by adherents of a religion that preaches submission, intolerance, and brutality, and our leaders and media, with few exceptions, continue to play a game whose fatuity, fecklessness, and pusillanimity have become increasingly clear. After Nice, no more.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

The irony of cowards calling people weak knees is a bit funny.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

marom1963

There is some question as to whether ISIS is actually responsible for this attack. But, because they have claimed credit for it, they must be punished for it, regardless of whether they actually authored it, even if it was just a guy "going postal."
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

pr126

The one thing must never be discussed, questioned, examined publicly is the ideology that motivates the "radicalised" read devout perpetrators.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: pr126 on July 17, 2016, 04:29:01 AM
The one thing must never be discussed, questioned, examined publicly is the ideology that motivates the "radicalised" read devout perpetrators.

Are you familiar with Bill Warner, PhD?

https://youtu.be/MidmZItX_ws

pr126

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 17, 2016, 05:09:06 AM
Are you familiar with Bill Warner, PhD?
Yes I am.
However what I meant was the mainstream media, such as cnn, BBC, newspapers, governments, politicians, so on.

Internet, YouTube, blogs are something else. They are regarded as dissidents, islamophobia, bigoted, racist, haters, liars, and other invectives.

chill98

Quote from: Siberia on July 16, 2016, 03:31:34 PM
The link, again, is that their appeal to join is not religion, but social values attached to it.
AL was created way before the existence of ISIS and they officially disbanded, yes, while it's "cultural arm" still goes around calling Spaniards "invaders" (seen this myself) and claiming ownership of monuments. no bombings, no attacks, just hate speech, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that AL or any of it's members are linked to ISIS, i'm just saying the approach tactics are the same, and i used it as an example of non religious based propaganda.

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.  I kind of see the connection you are trying to make, I just don't agree that it is valid. 

Also, I don't believe i can give an informed opinion on why the KKK is marginalised at the moment, that's why am actually reading about the topic.
But I am pretty sure there is more than one big factor in the mix.
Fair enough. 
I don't see why i have to explain what is a radical muslim. My intention is not to say "all muslims are great except for few bad apples", anyone who accepts principles of discrimination and hatred based on the teachings of a book, to me is a radical.
I just don't agree with the idea that a complex terrorist organization under whatever religion is based just in that.

It is, in this case and many others, the primary driver.

BTW the spanish inquisition was created to wipe out the money of the jew bankers (who actually had lended tons of money to the crown) and used as an excuse all sorts of crazy "sins" to take in money.
Whatever you were jailed or killed. (you had to pay a rent for your prison cell if you where arrested)
God was just an excuse.

(Also, the wiping out of other religions who actually had economical influence at that time left a pretty easy to govern Catholic country)

From Wiki on the start of the spanish inquistion:

"Alonso de Hojeda, a Dominican friar from Seville, convinced Queen Isabella of the existence of Crypto-Judaism among Andalusian conversos during her stay in Seville between 1477 and 1478.[16] A report, produced by Pedro González de Mendoza, Archbishop of Seville, and by the Segovian Dominican Tomás de Torquemada, corroborated this assertion...

Spanish monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella requested a papal bull establishing an inquisition in Spain in 1478 in response to the conversos returning to the practice of Judaism. Pope Sixtus IV granted a bull permitting the monarchs to select and appoint two or three priests over forty years of age to act as inquisitors...

Thomas Madden describes the world that formed medieval politics: "The Inquisition was not born out of desire to crush diversity or oppress people; it was rather an attempt to stop unjust executions. Yes, you read that correctly. Heresy was a crime against the state. Roman law in the Code of Justinian made it a capital offense. Rulers, whose authority was believed to come from God, had no patience for heretics". The monarchs decided to introduce the Inquisition to Castile to discover and punish crypto-Jews, and requested the pope's assent..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition#Start_of_the_Inquisition

I don't disagree that there were additional motives, a corruption of the original intent,  to maintain support; including accusations by unnamed accusers, who in an effort to steal land/holdings business, etc from their neighbors, used this same religious motivation to achieve their personal goal.  But that does not diminish the influence of the religion of the region to achieve whatever goal was desired.  And you can't fall back on the "no true scotsman..." here either because without the religion, the effect would not have occurred.

If you disagree with this wiki representation of what happened I am willing to read info provided. But the basic motive is there, A religious leader went to the crown and claimed there was an affront to the Crowns God Given Mandate, that you are to rule as a representative of God's plan for Spain, with the Pope's blessing and verified by two other godly witnesses to set the whole thing in motion.

Kraut and Tea

I hate how the regressive left keeps wimpering "nuffin to duh with muh islum"

Shiranu

I hate how idiots think that's what rationalists are saying. That, and how they think talking and  behaving like white trash rednecks rocking, "Obama? Nobama!" bumper stickers somehow makes them look sophisticated.

aitm

I remember hearing or reading a few years back, that those who engage the most in road rage also have the most bumper stickers…….a rather obvious observation once brought to your attention.  To reasonable people this would be a pretty handy bit of information. To the less informed it is a mere wick to the mine that lays beneath us all…..simply waiting to blow.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Kraut and Tea on July 17, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
I hate how the regressive left keeps wimpering "nuffin to duh with muh islum"

Yeah, because in Europe a man killing 84, injuring 300 without any obvious motivation is shocking.

They do not consider mass shootings as some sort of a natural selection and go with 'Yeah well that happens, dude. You know, stupid people and psychos with guns' like in the US. I think you know that. Did you have this before?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp