Why Won't Obama Release bin Laden's Corpse Photos?

Started by SGOS, May 02, 2016, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Something to the get the SJW juices flowing

http://www.businessinsider.com/photo-of-bin-ladens-body-wont-ever-be-shown-2016-5
Matt Bissonnette, one of the SEAL Team Six operators on the raid, partially outs the reason in his book, "No Easy Day." The book reads, "In his death throes, he was still twitching and convulsing.  Another assaulter and I trained our lasers on his chest and fired several rounds," Bissonnette wrote. "  The bullets tore into him, slamming his body into the floor until he was motionless."

But this is perhaps the most measured and polite description that one could give of how operator after operator took turns dumping magazines' worth of ammunition into bin Laden's body, two confidential sources within the community have told us. When all was said and done, UBL had over a hundred bullets in him, by the most conservative estimate...

The real issue is not that bin Laden was turned into Swiss cheese, but rather that this type of behavior has become a Standard Operating Procedure in this unit. Of course, these attitudes and behaviors do not come out of nowhere. Endless back-to-back combat deployments, PTSD, broken families, and war itself all play into it.

Now you know the real reason that the Obama administration has not released pictures of Osama Bin Laden's corpse. To do so would show the world a body filled with a ridiculous number of gunshot wounds.

The picture itself would most likely cause an international scandal, and investigations would be conducted that could uncover other operations, activities that many will do anything to keep buried.

I always wondered why they dumped his body in the sea.  That seemed too weird to me, like it was a way of showing the world what useless garbage we thought he was, but it actually makes more sense to me if it was for the purpose of destroying evidence.

I don't actually care that he was shot up so much, but I would have preferred to see him brought to trial.  Somehow dyeing in an assault seems like it was too easy, and perhaps even a bit too glamorous.   

GrinningYMIR

It scared the world in a way, the Americans showed the world it was willing and able to track down people after a manner of time, and kill them. No laws were obeyed and he was treated as an enemy combatant, which he was, in a manner of speaking. He was killed without trial because we didn't want him to live. He may have weasels out of dying or someone may have tried to rescue him or whatever. But as soon as he became the man after 9/11, the us was after his blood. And they got it when they riddled him
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on May 02, 2016, 02:01:24 PM
I always wondered why they dumped his body in the sea.  That seemed too weird to me, like it was a way of showing the world what useless garbage we thought he was, but it actually makes more sense to me if it was for the purpose of destroying evidence.

If they put his body anywhere that was identifiable, that in and of itself would become hotly contested. You'd get Westerners wanting to desecrate the grave and faithful adherents seeking to recover the remains. Not worth it.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 02, 2016, 02:01:24 PMI always wondered why they dumped his body in the sea.  That seemed too weird to me, like it was a way of showing the world what useless garbage we thought he was, but it actually makes more sense to me if it was for the purpose of destroying evidence.
Same reason I presume they don't want to release death photos.  No fanfare, nothing on display, no public burial, no grave site for his followers to flock to.  Nothing.  He planned and helped enact the most devastating terrorist attack in the history of the US - they wanted him gone entirely.

SGOS

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 02, 2016, 04:44:12 PM
It scared the world in a way, the Americans showed the world it was willing and able to track down people after a manner of time, and kill them. No laws were obeyed and he was treated as an enemy combatant, which he was, in a manner of speaking. He was killed without trial because we didn't want him to live. He may have weasels out of dying or someone may have tried to rescue him or whatever. But as soon as he became the man after 9/11, the us was after his blood. And they got it when they riddled him

It's true that it's hard to predict the outcome of a trial, and it would have been a disaster if he got off.  Yeah, dead is good enough.  But what a trial that would have been to watch.

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on May 02, 2016, 05:21:10 PM
If they put his body anywhere that was identifiable, that in and of itself would become hotly contested. You'd get Westerners wanting to desecrate the grave and faithful adherents seeking to recover the remains. Not worth it.

OK, I'm starting to change my mind here.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2016, 05:27:20 PM
Same reason I presume they don't want to release death photos.  No fanfare, nothing on display, no public burial, no grave site for his followers to flock to.  Nothing.

In a way, being fed to the fish with no one knowing where is a reasonable finish.  He already had enough notoriety for one life.  No need to create something that might become a monument, be it only a flat granite plate set on the ground.

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2016, 05:27:20 PM
He planned and helped enact the most devastating attack in the history of the US - they wanted him gone entirely.

and notably, his victims were almost all just innocent civilians going about their day.  I've always thought of him as just an asshole.  Even "terrorist" gives him a status I'll happily deny him.

Baruch

I would have set up a grave for him.  Then droned the visitors once a day.  Sort of like a roach motel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.