News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

1st of May in Turkey

Started by drunkenshoe, May 01, 2016, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

This is a rough summary what happened here today. I am putting the one below first because you won't see it in any western madia source. Anyway, many events, 1 man run over by a toma (dead), 2 deaths in a probable ISIL bombing. A PKK suicide bomber 2 days ago... a group of naked kids...workers and Kurdish party conflict with cops...tens of thousands in streets...who knows how many in custody...

I am convinced nobody has the slightest idea what is going on in this country. Everything is so absurd... We are insane, why don't you just come and join us? *Insert insane face here. Yes that one.

Ä°zmir - Today

Group strips in protest at May 1 police body searches

Video:https://59.azureedge.net/videos/2016/05/01/20160501154740-1407_240.mp4

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/izmir-group-strips-in-protest-at-may-1-police-body-searches.aspx?pageID=238&nID=98572&NewsCatID=341

QuoteA small group of May 1 demonstrators in Turkey’s Aegean province of İzmir took off their clothes in protest at the police’s insistence on conducting body searches before allowing them inside the square where International Workers’ Day celebrations are being held.

The group was protesting against police checkpoints and mandatory body checks by removing their clothes before entering İzmir’s central Gündoğdu Square.

All participants were allowed into the square after searches by the police.

Meanwhile in Istanbul:

http://www.sozcu.com.tr/2016/gundem/turkiyede-1-mayis-boyle-kutlandi-1210793/18/

https://youtu.be/8qeMcds79Dc

https://twitter.com/sendika_org/status/726696395068035072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Greens are as calm as usual

Feminists

Others are labour groups... leftrists...

http://sendika10.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/he-1mys.jpg

https://youtu.be/0huC4XwGfrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Oge2uNqRw

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-may-day-turkey-idUSKCN0XS0XL

QuoteTurkish police fired tear gas and water cannon and detained more than 200 people after scuffles broke out at May Day celebrations in Istanbul and some anti-government protesters tried to breach a ban on access to the main Taksim square.

Security was tight across Turkey's biggest city, which was hit twice this year by attacks blamed on Islamic State. Around 24,500 members of the security forces were deployed for the May Day celebrations, according to the Istanbul governor's office. Police scanned the streets from helicopters overhead.

"Some illegal groups who want to damage the peace and safety of our people attempted illegal marches and demonstrations primarily around Taksim square ... under the pretext of May Day celebrations," the governor's office said.

"A total of 207 people have been detained and some 40 Molotov cocktails, 17 hand grenades, 176 fireworks ... and lots of illegal posters have been seized," it said.

A 57-year old man was killed when he was run over by a police water truck while trying to cross the street, broadcaster CNN Turk reported. The governor's office said he was struck as the vehicle was maneuvering.

Taksim square was home to May Day celebrations until 1977, when dozens of people were killed during demonstrations, dubbed the 'bloody May Day'. The square was reopened for celebrations in the late 2000s but was shut again in 2013.

It became the main rallying point for 2013 anti-government protests in which tens of thousands of people demonstrated against President Tayyip Erdogan, then the prime minister.

A usually bustling square lined with cafes and hotels, Taksim was entirely cordoned off on Sunday and filled with riot and plain clothes police. Public transport leading to the neighborhood was shut down.

Thousands of people attended celebrations in a designated area in Bakirkoy district near the airport. The mood was bittersweet with many people criticizing the government for keeping Taksim off limits.

"Nobody has guns or bombs. People will come and express themselves, but the state prevents them even from coming to the area they allocated," union member Fatma Akaltu said.

Brief brawls erupted in Bakirkoy, where police detained several supporters of the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) after they chanted "Long Live Kurdistan".

Gaziantep Today ISIL

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36181138

2 cops dead, 22 injured. Bomb loaded truck to the headquarters.

Bursa 2 days ago PKK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/27/female-suicide-bomber-wounds-13-in-turkeys-bursa-in-latest-attac/

A sucide bomber killed herself and injured 13 people.

I think I am depressed.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Cocoa Beware

Aside from Ankara and a couple others, those are all basically the largest cities aren't they? You seem to have everyone from hippies to fascists caught up in this.

I hope you are not in any danger. Please be safe.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on May 01, 2016, 04:39:10 PM
Aside from Ankara and a couple others, those are all basically the largest cities aren't they? You seem to have everyone from hippies to fascists caught up in this.

I hope you are not in any danger. Please be safe.

Thanks. I am OK for now. There are a few other cities, but it seems things didn't go wild there. On top of all this there is a war in the southeast. 

Things are so absurd, so unbalanced...it's scary. The country cannot even collapse normally ffs.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Sorry for the violence of course.  Turkey may be having a collective nervous breakdown after the bad last 15 years.  Maybe Turkey needs to be more like Europe.  Have your whole country take a month off for holiday in S Europe, but not in August when the other Europeans have bookings solid, and leave a sign "Will return in one month".  It is already May, and that is a lovely time of the year.  After y'all let your hair down, maybe you can deal with things more chill.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

It's enough for Turkey to stay as Turkey right now. Who cares about being like Europe or something else. I swear it is what you say. Country is having a collective break down. From liberals to fascists, to left to right...you name it.

Country is dead. It's finished. Very bad times are coming...Like evil-dark... I am not used to use the word 'evil' literally, but I dunno. May be, it is time?

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 01, 2016, 05:55:48 PM
It's enough for Turkey to stay as Turkey right now. Who cares about being like Europe or something else. I swear it is what you say. Country is having a collective break down. From liberals to fascists, to left to right...you name it.

Country is dead. It's finished. Very bad times are coming...Like evil-dark... I am not used to use the word 'evil' literally, but I dunno. May be, it is time?

Not saying what to do, particularly with family staying behind ... but Jews didn't regret leaving Germany or Poland early.  If you were a professor, I would suggest a visiting scholar position at a university outside of the ME.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

You know..for all of the dumb shit we're accused of regularly here in the states it remains relatively peaceful the vast majority of the time here. People bitch and complain daily acting AS IF THE gubnit is about to clamp down and take all our guns away and send grandmas off to death camps and blah blah blah, but on average it's generally really very peaceful.
Sure, we have problems like everywhere else and there is crime like everywhere else, but on the average day you can go to the store, buy your pack of chewing gum, whatever and nobody really fucks with you.
When I read about the problems facing Turkey it makes me cringe and worry about your well being Shoe..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

I'm trying not to worry about it. I've been very lucky compared to majority in this country, not to mention the whole region. If I die, I die. I hope not this young, but it is just luck you know.

Let's not think about the worst.

SoldierofFortune

Fuck these Non-Govermantal Organisations... The people who join these organisations think sincerely that they can change by protesting things which need to be changed...but they are unaware that they are abused by those who establish these organisations...

Tell me one thing that have been changed by protesting in a mass :D

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 02, 2016, 03:04:26 PM
Fuck these Non-Govermantal Organisations... The people who join these organisations think sincerely that they can change by protesting things which need to be changed...but they are unaware that they are abused by those who establish these organisations...

French, Russian and Chinese revolutions ... but maybe those exceptions prove the rule?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on May 02, 2016, 11:33:41 PM
French, Russian and Chinese revolutions ... but maybe those exceptions prove the rule?

Dynamics aren't the same...

That revolutions was funded by Soros?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 02, 2016, 03:04:26 PM

Can you give us an example of these organisations and their abuses or some solid reason why people shouldn't go out in 1st of May which has been the international workers' day for the last 200 years, not to mention an ancient holiday going on for tens of thousands of years celebrating spring and life?

drunkenshoe

1st of May has nothing to do with some Revolution. It's a day people go out and shout, protest whatever they want, whatever they think is wrong; acting out; expressing themselves.

Baruch

Going to avail yourself of the open visa for Turkish citizens to visit the EU?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on May 03, 2016, 07:33:29 AM
Going to avail yourself of the open visa for Turkish citizens to visit the EU?

As I told you before, it's not a real deal, Baruch. But what is it good for anyone even if it was real? Europe is a very expensive place to be a tourist and it's also a hostile place. I have seen a few places in EU. Also it is not a wonder to me, if you consider what I have studied most ofl my life.