An Economic Explanation For the Evolution Of Intelligence

Started by Xerographica, April 30, 2016, 08:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

Here's my nutshell explanation that I just posted on Greg Stevens' blog entry... Evolution Q&A: Why did only humans become intelligent?

You really did the theory of evolution justice!   I, on the other hand, really suck at doing theories justice.  Watch...

So... humans are exceptionally intelligent.   What is exceptional intelligence good for?  It's good for solving exceptionally hard problems.   But why did early humans, out of all the animals, need to solve exceptionally hard problems?    It's because out of all the animals, early humans had the greatest ability to (simultaneously) allocate the widest variety of resources.   This exceptional ability was the result of having hands, arms and... walking upright.

With quadrupeds... all four limbs are primarily dedicated to allocating a single resource... the animal itself.   But this specialization is a continuum that ranges from horses to raccoons to chimps.    Horses obviously have four legs.   All their limbs are quite specialized to allocating only the horse itself.  None of the horse's limbs are remotely capable of allocating other resources.    What about raccoons?  Do they have four legs?   Well, their front limbs are reasonably capable of allocating other resources.   Chimps definitely do not have four legs.   They have two legs and feet and two arms and hands.  They are quite capable of allocating other resources with their arms and hands.

As front limbs become less dedicated to only allocating the animal itself and more generalized to  allocating other resources... there's an increase in the total variety of resources that can be (simultaneously) allocated.  This creates a more difficult/complex allocation problem.... which requires more brain power/storage to optimally solve.   Well... a distinct advantage is given to exceptionally intelligent individuals.

Since you're fond of using lions as an example... let's compare them to zebras.  It would seem that the front limbs of the lion aren't as specialized to self-allocation as the front limbs of the zebra are.  Lions certainly use their front limbs to allocate themselves... but they also use their front limbs to allocate their prey.   But perhaps the biggest difference is that the mouths of lions are quite capable of carrying/allocating resources (food, cubs, other?).  Do zebras use their mouths to carry anything?   Not so much?  Therefore, lions are faced with more complex (allocation) problems than zebras.... and we should suspect that lions are more intelligent as a result.

So.... for lack of a better word... more "resourceful" body types put greater selection pressure on intelligence.   Humans are the most intelligent animals because our body types are the most "resourceful".

TomFoolery

I would say that humans are not the only intelligent species in this planet. If you look across a number of ecosystems, each has a handful of species that are incredibly intelligent and have even shown evidence of tool use and a theory of mind. The problem is that we can't communicate with them, and we assume because they haven't invented iPhones yet that they may be smart compared to lichen, but they aren't people.

Dolphins, whales, squid, corvids, raccoons, apes, elephants... And I would point out that each is poised to be the backup, dominant intelligent species should humans ever go the way of dinosaurs. If you look at the Drake equation, one factor is the ability of a planet to develop human-level intelligence, which presumes tool use, abstract thought, and an interest in interstellar communication. I look around at many species on the planet and wonder if we're not looking at the common ancestors of species that may one day do these things in the absence of people.

Having hands definitely made things easier for us, but have you ever seen the dexterity that raccoons and most monkey species possess? Walking upright became an advantage on open plains, but there may be some scenario in which tree dwellers might once again have the upper hand. There may be a scenario when land-based species have massive die offs, and ocean dwellers would be better positioned to flourish.

It's easy for humans to think we're the pinnacle of intelligence, but we're only able to have this perspective from a biased point of view, and through a rather narrow timeline. We can only consider the fate of our species from the span of time in which we've been dominant. We have no idea if modern humans would have been able to hack it tens of millions of years ago or tens of millions of years from now.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Xerographica

TomFoolery, do cats look both ways before they cross a street?  Cars certainly put a selection pressure on cats.  This pressure shifts the population of cats to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction?   (see... Evolution via Roadkill).

Each year a flock of introduced parrots eats the figs on my neighbor's tree here in Southern California.  These parrots then fly around and poop the fig seeds out.  Some of these seeds germinate... and a few of the seedlings mature and bear fruit.  Parrots put a selection pressure on fig trees in California.  This pressure shifts the population of fig trees to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction? 

Hummingbirds are only native to the Americas.  What would happen if they were introduced to Africa?  The hummingbirds would pollinate some flowers and not others.  Hummingbirds would put a selection pressure on plants in Africa.  This pressure would shift the population of plants in Africa to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction?

Honey bees are not native to the Americas.  They have pollinated some flowers and not others.  The honey bees put a selection pressure on plants in America.  This pressure has shifted the population of plants in America to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction? 

Consumers are allowed to shop in the private sector.  They give their money to some producers and not others.  Consumers put a selection pressure on producers in the private sector.  This pressure has shifted producers in the private sector to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction?

Consumers are not allowed to shop in the public sector.  What would happen if they were allowed to shop in the public sector (aka pragmatarianism)?  Consumers would give their money to some producers and not others.  Consumers would put a selection pressure on producers in the public sector.  This pressure would shift producers in the public sector to some degree in some specific direction.  To what degree?  And in what direction? 

For humans... I argued that complex carrying put a significant degree of pressure on our ancestors in the direction of greater intelligence.  I can see this same pressure possibly eventually resulting in raccoons and monkeys being as intelligent as we are.  But this same pressure isn't relevant to the other animals that you mentioned.  I've shared a few thoughts on octopuses here.

Every species has individuals that are exceptional in different ways.  Some individuals are exceptionally fast/slow, tall/short, weak/strong, colorful/drab, intelligent/dumb and so on.  In order for these exceptions to become the rule... there has to be some pressure that makes them the rule. 

If you, or anybody else, is interested... here's a playlist of different animals carrying things

Baruch

Economics may put pressure on human evolution, but it isn't rational pressure.  Economics is based on the arbitrary criminality of humans.  So yes, criminality puts pressure on human survival ... either you gang up (government) on the criminals, or become one.  Of course to stop the criminals, you have to become a criminal, so governments are just the largest most successful gangster.  And yet the government, needing criminals (and terrorists) to justify itself, never quite manages to control them (and even teams with them).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

-free to use- 2 hands are very very big advantage...right...especially thumb is the most important among fingers...it works for holding something - for example a stone or a thick stick that is sharpened...

early humans were miserable...until 13,000 years ago -agricultural revolution-

humans don't have strong paw like lions... humans can't run like cheetahs...But instead of, humans can invent ''tool''...

there is a theory that the reason that causes for humans' brain to get bigger was controlling and using fire and cook their meet in fire...Cooking in fire is like second stomach...The energy for digestion was used by brain...

Flanker1Six

Quote from: Baruch on May 05, 2016, 12:55:45 PM
Economics may put pressure on human evolution, but it isn't rational pressure.  Economics is based on the arbitrary criminality of humans.  So yes, criminality puts pressure on human survival ... either you gang up (government) on the criminals, or become one.  Of course to stop the criminals, you have to become a criminal, so governments are just the largest most successful gangster.  And yet the government, needing criminals (and terrorists) to justify itself, never quite manages to control them (and even teams with them).

You guys/gals aren't going to hold it against me if Trump accepts my application for Assistant Dictator...............................eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr; I mean Vice President are you.   Don't worry!  We're gonna win in November!  I can't tell you how (if I did you'd be embarrassed!), but it's a sure thing!   Don says it pays really good, and if I work hard, listen to him, and say Yes Boss! a lot............he'll let me skim off the top, pick out my own super models, and buy a used Prius with taxpayer funds!  ****!  It'll be wwwaaayyyyy better than televangilist!  :high5: Almost honest; in fact! 

Don't worry!  If any of you get snagged up in one of our drag nets for independent thinkers, individualists, godless heathens, or hooliganism  :bigsorry:...............I'll make sure you get a cushy job at the reeducation camp..............................eeeeeerrrrrrrr; I mean The American Institute for Greatness Learning Center. 

I'll still be able to post here won't I?   :friends:   And they call it a gang!   MU HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!!!!

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on May 05, 2016, 04:55:37 PM
-free to use- 2 hands are very very big advantage...right...especially thumb is the most important among fingers...it works for holding something - for example a stone or a thick stick that is sharpened...

early humans were miserable...until 13,000 years ago -agricultural revolution-

humans don't have strong paw like lions... humans can't run like cheetahs...But instead of, humans can invent ''tool''...

there is a theory that the reason that causes for humans' brain to get bigger was controlling and using fire and cook their meet in fire...Cooking in fire is like second stomach...The energy for digestion was used by brain...

Eating raw meat isn't energy efficient.  But using a different energy source other than chewing and digestion ... doesn't get counted against you in the near term (other than global warming) ... and produces a much better product that is more efficient (in a micro sense).  Net net ... probably the post-stone-age eating consumes more energy than just chewing raw meat ... but it matters who pays.  If the environment pays instead of the individual, the individual will beggar the commons.  And you won't have to pay up for 10,000 years.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Flanker1Six on May 05, 2016, 06:26:19 PM
You guys/gals aren't going to hold it against me if Trump accepts my application for Assistant Dictator...............................eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr; I mean Vice President are you.   Don't worry!  We're gonna win in November!  I can't tell you how (if I did you'd be embarrassed!), but it's a sure thing!   Don says it pays really good, and if I work hard, listen to him, and say Yes Boss! a lot............he'll let me skim off the top, pick out my own super models, and buy a used Prius with taxpayer funds!  ****!  It'll be wwwaaayyyyy better than televangilist!  :high5: Almost honest; in fact! 

Don't worry!  If any of you get snagged up in one of our drag nets for independent thinkers, individualists, godless heathens, or hooliganism  :bigsorry:...............I'll make sure you get a cushy job at the reeducation camp..............................eeeeeerrrrrrrr; I mean The American Institute for Greatness Learning Center. 

I'll still be able to post here won't I?   :friends:   And they call it a gang!   MU HAH, HAH, HAH, HAH!!!!!!

If you "know important people" that is exactly what happens.  The folks who get first cut at the dollar spigot for the last 8 years have laughed all the way to the bank.  White collar criminals aren't as colorful as Crips and Bloods of course.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Harassed

cook meat fire kills parasites.  big advantage.
larger brain for generalist species, that can survive in many environments.
100,000 yr global glaciation cycle for 1M years, is selection pressure for species that adapt easily.

Why Mennonite Links to Mexico Cartels Are Nothing New
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTz9LHyrfMAhUrsoMKHYYTCa44ChAWCCMwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.insightcrime.org%2Fnews-briefs%2Fwhy-mennonite-links-to-mexico-cartels-are-nothing-new&usg=AFQjCNFaHIxY7IStzCeb4C9l1Iiz5p4sBw&bvm=bv.121070826,d.amc 
I'm Atheist/don't care since forever
Then Harassed by MENNONITE BRETHREN ORGANIZED CRIME
Like I'm on their top 10, atheist devil list
24/7 surveillance, swarming, stalking, character defamation, threats, intimidation
Their false image will be exposed
Thumpers want to take me to court. Go ahead