Have you guys seen the newest robots?

Started by Cocoa Beware, April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 01, 2018, 03:35:50 PM
The problem with the Turing Test is that it really tests language parsing, not actual understanding.  Try typing 'turign tset' into your search engine of choice â€" it will "know" what you mean without any actual intelligence whatsoever.  I also think it's a better measure of the human capacity for anthropomorphicization than it is for actual machine intelligence.  Also, too much depends on the tester â€" I knew people who genuinely thought ELIZA was AI.

Basically, Turing underestimated what was calculable.  Since the test was proposed in 1950, six years before FORTRAN and seven years before the first FORTRAN compiler, when all programming was manual machine code, it's an easy oversight to forgive.

Great idea typing 'turign tset'!  Brute force algorithms solve that error.

I bet the best test of an AI is a ridiculous situation.  Like "I carried my boat to the mouse but why was it on Famaram?  Or "why is a mouse when it spins"?  Or "The warp is climbing the poker"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 03:46:55 AM
Great idea typing 'turign tset'!  Brute force algorithms solve that error.

I bet the best test of an AI is a ridiculous situation.  Like "I carried my boat to the mouse but why was it on Famaram?  Or "why is a mouse when it spins"?  Or "The warp is climbing the poker"?

You are close to leaving the monastery, Grasshopper.  In Chan/Zen it is called a Koan.  The Asians been doing that for 1500 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HWrZqgT8I

What is the sound of one bear clapping?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on August 01, 2018, 03:35:50 PM
The problem with the Turing Test is that it really tests language parsing, not actual understanding.  Try typing 'turign tset' into your search engine of choice â€" it will "know" what you mean without any actual intelligence whatsoever.  I also think it's a better measure of the human capacity for anthropomorphicization than it is for actual machine intelligence.  Also, too much depends on the tester â€" I knew people who genuinely thought ELIZA was AI.

Basically, Turing underestimated what was calculable.  Since the test was proposed in 1950, six years before FORTRAN and seven years before the first FORTRAN compiler, when all programming was manual machine code, it's an easy oversight to forgive.
What would be a good test, then?

Imo, showing up at a party and mistakenly thinking that the attendees are all human would be a hell of a test.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 20, 2018, 05:53:13 PM
What would be a good test, then?

Imo, showing up at a party and mistakenly thinking that the attendees are all human would be a hell of a test.
I really don't know.  I'm inclined to adapting Associate Justice Potter Stewart's obscenity test: "I know it when I see it".
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on August 20, 2018, 07:45:33 PM
I really don't know.  I'm inclined to adapting Associate Justice Potter Stewart's obscenity test: "I know it when I see it".
As an aside, I absolutely hated that definition.  If you want to regulate something, you're going to have to define it.  Going by subjective gut feeling is no way to do things since it leaves room for false positives and false negatives.

Imagine if defamation cases were tried on the basis that the accusation "feels" untrue.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 20, 2018, 08:00:55 PM
As an aside, I absolutely hated that definition.  If you want to regulate something, you're going to have to define it.  Going by subjective gut feeling is no way to do things since it leaves room for false positives and false negatives.

Imagine if defamation cases were tried on the basis that the accusation "feels" untrue.
I think it's okay for now since we don't really have a solid definition of consciousness yet.  We can't realistically define a measurement of consciousness when we can't define consciousness in the first place.

I also don't think it's anything we have to worry about any time soon.  So far, I stand by my statement that AI is to computer science as fusion reactors are to physics: twenty years in the future, no matter what year you're talking from.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

Here's the DJI Robomasters competition that was mentioned in that previous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECr4zgK6cPA
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Not a robot, but it sure looks like fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kB-BGMXxZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKWaNzZb4Y

Too bad that guy wasn't wearing a Green Goblin suit! ;-P
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 01, 2018, 05:27:08 PM
Not a robot, but it sure looks like fun!

Too bad that guy wasn't wearing a Green Goblin suit! ;-P

I'll accept that as real ubnless I see something showing it isn't.  Ever since that guy in the real flying suit, I surrender some doubt.

Unbeliever

It's really hard to see how he can stay upright on that rig. Seems like it would be top-heavy.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 03:18:02 PM
It's really hard to see how he can stay upright on that rig. Seems like it would be top-heavy.

Like humans AREN'T? 

Unbeliever

Only those, like Baruch, whose head is much larger than average.
God Not Found