Have you guys seen the newest robots?

Started by Cocoa Beware, April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

The Army won't need to train soldiers Taps any more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFUqMApfnY

I think they should call this one Jack Benny, but it looks like the same one as was playing the brass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjkBwZtxp4

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

I will prefer live music of live people, over a recording, or Disney animatronics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote“Onstage at I/O 2018, Google showed off a jaw-dropping new capability of Google Assistant: in the not too distant future, it’s going to make phone calls on your behalf. CEO Sundar Pichai played back a phone call recording that he said was placed by the Assistant to a hair salon. The voice sounded incredibly natural; the person on the other end had no idea they were talking to a digital AI helper. Google Assistant even dropped in a super casual “mmhmmm” early in the conversation.

Pichai reiterated that this was a real call using Assistant and not some staged demo. “The amazing thing is that Assistant can actually understand the nuances of conversation,” he said. “We’ve been working on this technology for many years. It’s called Google Duplex.”

Duplex really feels like next-level AI stuff, but Google’s chief executive said it’s still very much under development. Google plans to conduct early testing of Duplex inside Assistant this summer “to help users make restaurant reservations, schedule hair salon appointments, and get holiday hours over the phone.”

Pichai says the Assistant can react intelligently even when a conversation “doesn’t go as expected” and veers off course a bit from the given objective. “We’re still developing this technology, and we want to work hard to get this right,” he said. “We really want it to work in cases, say, if you’re a busy parent in the morning and your kid is sick and you want to call for a doctor’s appointment.” Google has published a blog post with more details and soundbites of Duplex in action.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1lFMR1uu3o

I'm not especially surprised, this was coming soon, anyway. AI will be taking jobs that few people realized before, such as stand-up comedian, maybe. I haven't yet seen a comedy-bot, but I expect to before long.
God Not Found

Baruch

An AI will be able to do all the posts on all the blogs/forums in real time, and be more intelligent than the monkeys currently doing it.

Pretty impressive, if there isn't a midget inside of it!  "For many of the shows, the Daleks were operated by retired ballet dancers wearing black socks while sitting inside the Dalek."

Surprised you weren't the first to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjSohj-Iclc

It could be partly tele-operated from outside (particularly the stopping to jump over the log part).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I guess great minds really do think alike! I was just about to post that very video, but you beat me to it. So instead, here are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M413lLWvrbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMPLnIRUvQ

And here is a robot arm made from DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9fuSVaszyg

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Since we can synthesize dead actors, and have them make new movies without paying them, why bother with a robot for entertainment?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

It still needs some work, but hey, baby steps.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2018, 04:31:21 AM
I would have killed that dog immediately and without hesitation.  Someone loved that cat.  Pets that kill other pets do not fit in society.  Any one or anything that kills one of my cats is dead on sight.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

I always thought treads were more practical for in-factory movement rather than legs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on May 15, 2018, 06:17:26 AM
I always thought treads were more practical for in-factory movement rather than legs.

WARNING!  Do not try this at home.  Or anywhere else...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOPt9gNuY4

QuoteThere has been a handful of truly wild advancements in the robotics field lately.
These advancements don’t involve the typical rigid robots, made out of hard materials, doing backflips or making pizza’s.
These advancements are bit stranger…
They are inspired by human flesh, muscles, and skin.
Inspired by how humans move, dynamic and fluid.
These advancements may lead to the androids similar to the ones found in HBO’s Westworld or the Film Ex Machina.
Will we ever see androids anywhere near the kind seen in West World or Ex Machina in our lifetimes?
It’s hard to imagine at this point, but these four incredible advances are steps in the right direction.
Alright, the first advancement takes us to the University of Colorado Boulder where researchers are pushing the boundaries of soft robotics.
Soft Robotics is subfield of robotics that is built on how living organisms move and interact with their environment, and deals with compliant materials vs rigid materials.
The researchers at Boulder developed the Hydraulically Amplified Self-Healing Electrostatic Actuator, or HASEL Actuator for short.
The HASEL actuator is a new class of soft, electrically activated devices that mimic the movement of natural muscles.
The HASEL actuator meets or exceeds the strength, speed and efficiency of biological muscles.
The actuators are made of elastic pouches connected to electrode and filled with vegetable oil.
The oil is an electrically insulating liquid and when electricity is applied, the oil is displaced, making the artificial muscle contract, and this can happen in milliseconds, and changing the shape and configuration of the pouches will produce different movements.
Assistant Professor and fellow of the Material Science and Engineering Program Christoph Keplinger says:
“HASEL actuators synergize the strengths of soft fluidic and soft electrostatic actuators, and thus combine versatility and performance like no other artificial muscle before. Just like biological muscle, HASEL actuators can reproduce the adaptability of an octopus arm, the speed of a hummingbird and the strength of an elephant.”
-END QUOTE
And what might be the most incredible part of this advancement, is that the devices are made out of low cost material and can be made for just 10 cents!
The researchers are continuing to improve the technology, the actuators currently take a lot of power but they are working on devices that will operate on one fifth of the power.
And they have secured patents for the technology and currently exploring commercial opportunities.
Who wants to see Boston Dynamics or Handson Robotics license this tech?
I sure do!
The next advancement makes me think of the T1000 or Wolverine.
Researchers at a Belgian University have developed technology that may one day allow robots to have self-healing skin!
The fingers you see are made out of squishy polymers with lots of strands.
The strands of microscopic chains that are held together.
The fascinate part is that the bonds break when you heat the material, and as it cools the chains bond back together.
The team of researchers are now working on a way to load the material with sensors so that eventually when the technology is applied to a robot, it can sense when it has an injury and heal itself accordingly.
Currently it takes about 40 minutes to heal a wound at 80 degrees centigrade, but that should improve over time.
Alright and the third advancement also involves possible robot skin.
But this research was inspired by Octopus Skin!
An Octopus can do so much without a skeleton and it’s skin and change shape and color in absolutely incredible ways.
Let me just show you.
Look at the how it perfectly blends with that ocean plant!
Anyway, researchers at Cornell University in New York and the Marine Biological Laboratory in Massachusetts created synthetic skin that can change shape and texture.

Soft robotics are perhaps the next wave of robotic technology, being more like the organisms we're used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbAqw0sk6M

QuoteAIST has succeeded in making HRP-4C Miim walk like a human being. Her knees are stretched by up/down motion of the waist, the single-toe supporting realizes longer strides, and she mimics the swing motion of human legs.
God Not Found