Have you guys seen the newest robots?

Started by Cocoa Beware, April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: marom1963 on June 03, 2016, 01:04:06 AMI still preferred the World the way it was ...
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."
â€" Woodrow Wilson

marom1963

Quote from: Baruch on April 30, 2016, 08:11:50 PM
There has never been a long term revolt against the 1% ... just a change in who they are.  Marxism is wrong in that respect ... there is no final revolution ... in fact revolution is rare and mostly unsuccessful.  And even when successful, the inevitable corruption sets in.
What I have been saying for years - revolution is pointless - it's just changing one set of assholes for another set of assholes - maybe even bigger assholes, as happened in Russia.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 03, 2016, 01:11:44 AM
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."
â€" Woodrow Wilson
I meant - no robots, no computers, no cell phones ... I liked going to the library and using the card catalog ... I liked being able to disappear for long periods of time w/o hearing a phone ring ... I liked waiting or mail to arrive - it took weeks! - not seconds ... I liked privacy! Or at least the belief that there was something called privacy ... I liked being able to turn the news off ... I liked having a television season that lasted only so long - waiting for the fall premieres and suffering through the summer repeats ... I especially liked knowing less BULLSHIT! You used to be able to shut the World out. Now it comes and finds you. Even if you're taking a shit, it comes to get you. That's not a good thing. That sucks!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Hydra009

There are pros as well as cons.

I can't imagine having to wait for a specific TV show to be airing on TV before watching it (and sitting through commercial breaks).  Or waiting on the papers to get the latest news.  Or having to ask friends if a movie is any good or not.  Or not knowing something and having to sift through reference books at the library or track down a relevant expert.  Or life before USB technology.

Half the programs I watch now are online-only and couldn't exist more than a decade or so ago.  And I hold in my hands an e-reader that can hold possibly hundreds of books, weighs less than a pound, and can last several weeks without needing to recharge.

The future is, for the most part, a huge improvement.

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 03, 2016, 03:58:32 AM
There are pros as well as cons.

I can't imagine having to wait for a specific TV show to be airing on TV before watching it (and sitting through commercial breaks).  Or waiting on the papers to get the latest news.  Or having to ask friends if a movie is any good or not.  Or not knowing something and having to sift through reference books at the library or track down a relevant expert.  Or life before USB technology.  Half the programs I watch now are online-only and couldn't have existed more than a decade or so ago.  And I hold in my hands an e-reader that can hold possibly hundreds of books and weighs less than a pound and can last several weeks without needing to recharge.

The future is, for the most part, a huge improvement.
Not if you're  an old buzzard who liked living in the past, it's not ... Oh, I love my computer (and I hate it, too). But I still miss the World in which I once lived. Most of all I miss the diners where I could sit and puff on my pipe, reading a book, while I sipped coffee and occasionally chatted w/another native New Yorker.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Hydra009

I miss communal meals.  My family still has them, just not as often.  But man oh man, do I not miss the secondhand smoke one bit!  I'm so glad that public smoking is more or less gone and smoking in general is going the way of the dodo.

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 03, 2016, 04:25:47 AM
I miss communal meals.  My family still has them, just not as often.  But man oh man, do I not miss the secondhand smoke one bit!  I'm so glad that public smoking is more or less gone and smoking in general is going the way of the dodo.
Yes, well, what annoys me now is that people take it upon themselves to point out to me that there is "No Smoking here" if I am just holding my pipe. "Yes. Do you see any smoke coming from it? That's smoking. What I'm doing is called 'holding.' Holding has thus far not been banned." One day, I had purposely walked to the middle of nowhere, 100s of feet from anything. A woman happened along and said w/disgust, "Stand there and smoke, why don't you?" I replied, "I will - and I intend to fart, as well." And I got lucky - I cut the loudest, smelliest fart I'd cut in a long time - it completely drowned out the smell of my pipe tobacco.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Flanker1Six

Quote from: Baruch on April 30, 2016, 03:06:05 PM
Sociology trumps technology.  Super-cyber-men ruling super-cyber-slaves.  Immortality will be attempted, but only for the 1%.  Ideal worker humans would only be around for 5 years of less, like the PC cycle.

Those are called Replicants. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicant

Hydra009

Quote from: marom1963 on June 03, 2016, 05:00:26 AM
Yes, well, what annoys me now is that people take it upon themselves to point out to me that there is "No Smoking here" if I am just holding my pipe. "Yes. Do you see any smoke coming from it? That's smoking. What I'm doing is called 'holding.' Holding has thus far not been banned." One day, I had purposely walked to the middle of nowhere, 100s of feet from anything. A woman happened along and said w/disgust, "Stand there and smoke, why don't you?" I replied, "I will - and I intend to fart, as well." And I got lucky - I cut the loudest, smelliest fart I'd cut in a long time - it completely drowned out the smell of my pipe tobacco.
/r/firstworldanarchists

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on June 03, 2016, 02:19:53 AM
I meant - no robots, no computers, no cell phones ... I liked going to the library and using the card catalog ... I liked being able to disappear for long periods of time w/o hearing a phone ring ... I liked waiting or mail to arrive - it took weeks! - not seconds ... I liked privacy! Or at least the belief that there was something called privacy ... I liked being able to turn the news off ... I liked having a television season that lasted only so long - waiting for the fall premieres and suffering through the summer repeats ... I especially liked knowing less BULLSHIT! You used to be able to shut the World out. Now it comes and finds you. Even if you're taking a shit, it comes to get you. That's not a good thing. That sucks!

You are just becoming an old fart like me.  I was able to transition to flip phones (cell phones) but I have no desire for anything more recent.  I resisted getting any cell phone until 2000.  I never carried a pager.  I still have a land line phone to act as a honey trap for commercial callers and bill collectors.  So far I have gotten very little spam on my flip phone.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

My dad says when you get old never trust a fart.

marom1963

Quote from: Baruch on June 03, 2016, 01:01:50 PM
You are just becoming an old fart like me.  I was able to transition to flip phones (cell phones) but I have no desire for anything more recent.  I resisted getting any cell phone until 2000.  I never carried a pager.  I still have a land line phone to act as a honey trap for commercial callers and bill collectors.  So far I have gotten very little spam on my flip phone.
:singing:
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Unbeliever

I realize this is an old thread, but jeez - have you seen the newest robots!? These things are incredibly scary, considering it's the military's answer to the question of future war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiieA-j2XPE

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 30, 2017, 03:57:09 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but jeez - have you seen the newest robots!? These things are incredibly scary, considering it's the military's answer to the question of future war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiieA-j2XPE

FO 4 power armor here we come!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

QuoteAnd rather than be disastrous, it could be a way forward.

This seems a rather slippery slope on deciding what is "forward", though. Stripping humanity of all humanity is arguably going "forward", but should sheer practicality always outweigh humanity?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur