Have you guys seen the newest robots?

Started by Cocoa Beware, April 26, 2016, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 26, 2018, 04:32:42 PM
Would YOU turn your loved one into a robot clone? Swedish scientists are using AI to build androids that are 'fully conscious copies' of dead relatives, report claims

Lucky for me I have no dead (or live) relatives to turn into robots - or to turn me into a robot. It seem pretty spooky to me. But hey, different strokes, and all that!
I might volunteer myself for that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I wonder is the robot "clones" would be given human rights? Otherwise it wouldn't be anything I'd care to do.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 27, 2018, 01:16:51 PM
I wonder is the robot "clones" would be given human rights? Otherwise it wouldn't be anything I'd care to do.
True.  I was thinking more about the possibility of being sent to Mars without having to worry about food and water.  Or even on a grand tour of the solar system, getting installed into a form capable of handling the world-girdling seas of Europa and Enceladus, the sulfur and quakes of Io, or the deep chill of Titan, Triton and Pluto.

I mean, why would I stick around Earth if I was digitized and immortal?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I've read sci-fi in which the spaceships were controlled by human brains. Sounds like fun?
God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 27, 2018, 02:59:54 PM
I've read sci-fi in which the spaceships were controlled by human brains. Sounds like fun?
I don't know that I'd want to be a full-sized spaceship.  I want to get down on the surface (or in the water/liquid methane) for myself.  I promise to bring back plenty of samples!  Okay, getting one from Venus might be a little tricky.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 26, 2018, 04:32:42 PM
Would YOU turn your loved one into a robot clone? Swedish scientists are using AI to build androids that are 'fully conscious copies' of dead relatives, report claims

Lucky for me I have no dead (or live) relatives to turn into robots - or to turn me into a robot. It seem pretty spooky to me. But hey, different strokes, and all that!

I would go for the robot or android for myself.  I don't find live boring as I grow older.  I think I could happily live to 1,000 or 10 if I didn't wear out.  I'll assume there is an "off"switch" though.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 04:29:40 AM
I would go for the robot or android for myself.  I don't find live boring as I grow older.  I think I could happily live to 1,000 or 10 if I didn't wear out.  I'll assume there is an "off"switch" though.

So would you be Data or Lohr? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 01:34:53 PM
I'd be Locutus!

Irrelevant ... he is a cyborg, not an android.  At least as a cyborg, the organic part of you would still be alive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Damn, I can get away with nothing with your vast ability to catch my errors! ;)

You're the monster from my id.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 02:19:58 PM

Well, it wasn't one of the options, so technically, you are free of the criticism.

Unbeliever

Well, with my luck I'd end up as Marvin, from the Hitchhiker's Guide.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 02:55:40 PM
Well, with my luck I'd end up as Marvin, from the Hitchhiker's Guide.

LOL!  Oh man, I remember him.  And he saved the day, didn't he?

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 02:19:58 PM

You to Krell, with you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.