Remember, these guys are our slaves, so it's okay if we smack 'em around.
Atlas, The Next Generation
On February 23, 2016, Boston Dynamics released video of a new version Atlas robot.
The new version of Atlas designed to operate both outdoors and inside buildings. It is specialized for mobile manipulation and is very adapt at walking over a wide range of undergrounds including snow.
It is electrically powered and hydraulically actuated. It uses sensors in its body and legs to balance, and it uses LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) and stereo sensors in its head to avoid obstacles, assess the terrain, help with navigation and manipulate objects, even when these are being moved.
This version of Atlas is about 175 cm (5 ft 9 in) tall (about a head shorter than the DRC Atlas) and weighs 180 lb (82 kg) lbs.
In the 2015 Darpa competition of robotics Atlas was able to complete all eight tasks as follows:
1. Drive a utility vehicle at the site.
2. Travel dismounted across rubble.
3. Remove debris blocking an entryway.
4. Open a door and enter a building.
5. Climb an industrial ladder and traverse an industrial walkway.
6. Use a tool to break through a concrete panel.
7. Locate and close a valve near a leaking pipe.
8. Connect a fire hose to a standpipe and turn on a valve
Apparently they are working on a few other projects, here is a funny looking prototype that runs really fast:
My only concern is when the technological singularity arrives and these guys decide to pay us back for the genocide of their ancestors when we play video games.
Honestly, I had no idea robotics had come so far.