News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I kinda feel bad

Started by aitm, April 25, 2016, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

But….I never thought Prince was all that good.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Quote from: aitm on April 25, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
HAHAHAHA

PickelledEggs

In your defense, I am on the same page.

Also, in your defense, it seems like no one talked about prince for a good... almost 10 years, until his death this past week. All of a sudden they are all his biggest fans.

_Xenu_

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 25, 2016, 05:29:47 PM
In your defense, I am on the same page.

Also, in your defense, it seems like no one talked about prince for a good... almost 10 years, until his death this past week. All of a sudden they are all his biggest fans.

Same thing with Michael Jackson. He was the butt of late night comedy jokes for years, but he dies and suddenly people start glorifying him.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 25, 2016, 05:29:47 PMAlso, in your defense, it seems like no one talked about prince for a good... almost 10 years, until his death this past week. All of a sudden they are all his biggest fans.
Chappelle's show did really popular bit about him, he also played at the Super Bowl in 2007 and made it into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2010.  He wasn't as huge as he was, but he was still playing shows.  Not bad, all things considered.

SGOS

I'm sure I've heard him play and sing something, but I can't remember that I did.  But still, that's too bad that he died, and fairly young too.

Baruch

America is jealous of China and Russia ... we want to put our dead celebrities into glass cases like Lenin and Mao.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Johan

Quote from: aitm on April 25, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
Neither was Elvis and we all know how that went.

Actually, you're kind of right. For a non-musician or someone who wasn't otherwise a dedicated fan, Prince was not by most measures all that good i.e. popular. But here's why. He didn't have to be.

He had some early minor success at a very young age. And at the exact right time, he did Purple Rain which made him a metric shit ton of money. And that allowed him the luxury of being able to put out whatever the fuck he wanted to put out for the rest of his life. He didn't have to do Purple Rain II and he didn't. Now it very true that lots of other acts have been in that same position and still put out lots of other easily accessible (i.e. popular) material over the course of their careers. But he didn't have to and he didn't. However just because it didn't get air play doesn't mean it wasn't good and it was. Tons of it. Springsteen is an icon, but he's put out some world class stinking shit piles over the years. Prince was truly a master. Not exactly hugely popular over time, but a master none the less. People like Joe Jackson will probably be regarded in similar fashion when they go.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

I never particularly liked most of Prince's music, but he has this one really catchy song:

"Purple rain, all in my brain
Lately things they don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

<-- may or may not be Wolf Blitzer

Shukhov

Prince? Don't know, don't care.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

Solomon Zorn

I never listened to him either, but I hear he was a pretty talented guitar player, in addition to writing songs for a lot of other artists.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mike Cl

From what I heard, he has enough unpublished stuff to make another 100 albums or so.  I guess he would go on long stretches where he recorded a new song or two every day.  Not too bad for a JW.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

Time to piss off the little lady when I tell her that I could fucking care less about dead celebrities.  They're famous so we should all go into mourning for x days?
That said I'll be sure to sob uncontrolably into my pillow over the passing of prince just as soon as an airplane flies over and drops a million dollars in my front yard..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FaithIsFilth

Never cared for his music either.

Draconic Aiur

listened to some of his music slept through it