News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Horror lovers thread

Started by Munch, April 20, 2016, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

As someone who loves good horror movies, creepy pastas and horror themed games, I thought we should have a thread to talk about our fav creepy, dark and psychologically terrifying movies, games and other genre.

One of my fav horror movies in recent years has to be the Babadook, a psychologically tormenting story of a mother dealing with the death of her husband, their out of control son, and their lives being invaded by a storybook monster named mr babadook.

I loved this movie on two fronts, first was the main actresses role, Elsie Davis, one of the best performances in a horror movie I've seen since the shining, she gave me the chills on her performance alone. The second is just the concept of Mr babadook himself, why he exists, and just how terrifying he is.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

I haven't seen a movie that scared me in years.
I'm not saying I'm especially brave. Lord knows I'm not.
But I can't remember thinking a movie was honestly frightening beyond the American version of The Ring, which I watched when I was in high school.
I've tried, I remember finding personal accomplishment in daring to watch a scary movie. But, I dunno, none of them do anymore.
Real life is what's truly horrible and frightening, sometimes.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I'm also enjoy horror, though I tend to shy away from gory thrillers.  I'm more into Lovecraft stories and stuff like Slenderman and the SCP Foundation.

stromboli

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2016, 12:54:10 PM
I'm also enjoy horror, though I tend to shy away from gory thrillers.  I'm more into Lovecraft stories and stuff like Slenderman and the SCP Foundation.

SCP Foundation for those of us not in the know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCP_Foundation

Sounds interesting. Worth looking at. Thanks for the heads up.

Munch

I love the scp foundation files, some funny, some weird, some scary and interesting ideas.

Going back to creepy pastas, one of my favs the harbinger experiment, making both it and the insidious movies ones that made Tiny Tim songs into something chilling

Hydra009

Quote from: stromboli on April 20, 2016, 01:13:27 PMSCP Foundation for those of us not in the know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCP_Foundation

Sounds interesting. Worth looking at. Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry, I should've included a brief explanation or something.

It's a secret scientific organization whose personnel contain and study anomalous and potentially dangerous objects and entities.  Think about the warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and multiply it.  And that's just for starters.

They have case reports written in a clinical, formal style which contrasts with the chaotic scenes, gruesome details, and disturbing revelations they contain.  Also, heavy use of redaction (black bars obscuring sensitive information) to pique one's curiosity.

Lingo:
SCP - anomalous objects/entities (an endless staircase, a monster that cannot move when a person is looking at it but is terrifyingly fast and lethal when unobserved, a greenish minty goo that must NEVER come into contact with a dead body, a roughly dog-sized amoeba that behaves like a playful dog and helps relieve depression, etc)
O5 council - top members in the SCP foundation that direct its long-term plans.  Identified by number rather than name.
D class personnel - expendable personnel (often death row inmates) used to handle extremely hazardous tasks

Here's a pretty typical entry and decent intro to the setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xE54zD5hsk

AkiraTheFighter

Quote from: Munch on April 20, 2016, 12:13:36 PM

Daww he looks cute. :3 *Pet* *Pet* Who's an adorable senseless killer?

I am a fan of the Horror Genre as well. Though I don't get scared at them cuz I know it's fake. Most of the horror movies I like are the ones that took the time to provide both a realistic story and use practical effects. My faveourate horror series is the Hellraiser series. 1 - 4 is the best, even Hell On Earth even though it's was not the best in the original Quadrilogy. The ones after that were crap though. Fuck you Dimensions! I don't watch modern horrors is cuz they tend to do the whole ghost/possession thing and use allot of cg and cg gore, typical jump scares, eerie music. *Yawn* You know if tv shows like The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf and The Walking Dead can practical effects then why not a big budget film?

Another Horror series I like is The Saw Franchise and Resident Evil.

_Xenu_

Any Edward Lee readers here?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

SGOS

OK, here's one for horror fans.  Keep in mind that this genre usually just bores me, so one that disturbs me may (or may not) indicate something scary.  It might be that certain attempts at horror elicit different reactions from different people, depending a their psychological make up and the fears they carry around in their personal baggage.

Bone Tomahawk 

I rented this from Red Box a couple of months ago.  That usually means it's a new release.

This one did a proverbial number on me.  A week after I saw it, I had a nightmare that borrowed elements from the movie, and believe me, while I dream often enough, nightmares are highly unusual for me.  The following is a very basic description of the plot.  I'm not sure it's what I'd call a spoiler or not.

[spoiler]Bone Tomahawk is not jump start scary.  It's grotesque and disturbing, and while it's extremely gory in a couple of places, I would say it's not gratuitous gore.  I'm not sure what that means to others.  But it seems like the gore is necessary because it sets up the greater horror of the overall situation.  It's also unique.  It starts out like a typical old west plot, with a small town in the middle of nowhere with a sheriff (Kurt Russell), preacher, general store, bar, and the usual drifters passing through.  I thought I was in for another old fashion Western culminating in a climatic shootout at the corral type of plot.  But an odd turn of events happens that at first just seems mysterious, and slowly turns Hellish.  For me it was much more Hellish than just some psychopathic drifter on a rampage type Hellish.  That plot wouldn't be creepy enough to match this one.  [/spoiler]

Unbeliever

I don't get scared when watching horror movies, as long as it's silly supernatural shit happening. But when it's stuff that could really happen, in real life, then I get scared, such that I can't watch things like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.

I think humans invented monsters like vampires, werewolves, etc. so that they could believe that humans are not the most evil sons-a-bitches in existence.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

I don't watch any of that, I get frightened too much reading what real people do. Thats why I only watch stuff that makes me laugh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

I can't do horror. at all. I get horrible nightmares and my imagination takes over in ways that I hate.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 21, 2016, 07:33:48 PM
I can't do horror. at all. I get horrible nightmares and my imagination takes over in ways that I hate.

funny thing is, when I was young, even in my teens, horror and the dark and creepy were things that just were complete no-noes for me. Even back then the nightmare before christmas was in cinemas, well before the internet age, I thought it would be a horror movie and missed seeing it in the cinemas. when movies like childs play and the exocist and IT were on tv I'd dare myself to watch as much of it as I could, but then turn off the tv when it got to something scary or a jump scare, and it would stay in my head for days after.

Now, I've decensortised myself so much, I find movies only aimed as blood and guts horror as funny. Its only those deeper psychological movies that really impact me now.

Unbeliever

Quote from: aitm on April 21, 2016, 07:31:56 PM
I don't watch any of that, I get frightened too much reading what real people do. Thats why I only watch stuff that makes me laugh.

OK, ever seen Dead Alive? It made me laugh 'til I - well, I died!   :hang:

I'm pretty sure this is the goriest movie I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8LIug1cP04
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

I remember growing up in the 80s-90s in the era where the 'video nasty' advertisement put forward by ultra conservative nutjobs made some of these movies out to be more horrific then they actually were. In a way it hyped them up for the better and made some of them famous, even ones that I watch now and think of as just silly.