News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Tattoo Thread

Started by Bluewind, April 19, 2016, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: Bluewind on April 22, 2016, 04:21:32 PM
Ouch! No wonder the hip part hurt. How long ago did you get it? Where did you get the design from?

I got it last June. I had a friend design it for me.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Bluewind

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 22, 2016, 05:14:49 PM
I got it last June. I had a friend design it for me.
Well your friend is very talented and so is your tattoo artist. The line work is divine and it looks like it healed beautifully. :)
There is beauty in a finite life.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Bluewind on April 22, 2016, 03:32:58 PM
I almost forgot to ask, @Gawdzilla Sama and @TomFoolery , how many hours did you have to sit for them? Did yall do it in one sitting or multiple? What aftercare method did yall use?
It took five men four hours to do all twenty tats, one for each of us. One of the team drew that on the flight from Seattle to Hong Kong, and we got it done there while we had a sixteen hour layover. This one is the last one left. After care consisted of not getting it dirty.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Flanker1Six

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 21, 2016, 12:08:21 PM

No particular symbolism. Just liked it. Hurt like a bitch around the hip bone.

Nice detail work and there are no: skulls, skulls with daggers, H/D logos/jargon, flames, or exes names in it!  Very nice!

Don't have any myself; thought about it many times over the years though.  In the end.................it's a fairly permanent choice, and given my "somewhat" mecurial nature.............I could easily love it for fill in the blank;  wake up the next morning and detest the damn thing!  I know I'm not manly enough to lean into the belt sander and 60 grit long enough to get rid of it!  :)

Bluewind

@Gawdzilla Sama
I love your stories. So many are bittersweet, but still wonderful :)

@Flanker1Six You can always go for a henna tattoo. They last about 2 weeks and can be very beautiful. It's fine if you never go through with a permanent tattoo, but if you get the wild hair and get worried about changing your mind later, just do research and find something very meaningful to you and then wait one year. If you still love it and it still means something to you, odds are that it still will later. If you hate it, then you just saved yourself a headache ;)

TomFoolery

Quote from: Flanker1Six on April 22, 2016, 06:23:10 PM
Don't have any myself; thought about it many times over the years though.  In the end.................it's a fairly permanent choice, and given my "somewhat" mecurial nature.............I could easily love it for fill in the blank;  wake up the next morning and detest the damn thing!  I know I'm not manly enough to lean into the belt sander and 60 grit long enough to get rid of it!  :)

Having a large piece that runs from one set of sexy bits to another isn't as weird as you'd think. Mine isn't in a place that's usually exposed, so often I forget I have it. Except when I'm fresh out of the shower, looking in the mirror and putting on deodorant, and then it looks like the fox is laughing at me as it moves with my skin. I laugh every time and then go about my day.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Gawdzilla Sama

The most awesome tattoo I've seen was on a guy's back. Across his shoulders was an English landscape, woods and a manor house. Below that were several people on horseback. Lower still was a pack of hounds. And at the "bottom" you could see a fox's tail as it disappears into it's "den". He said it was a two year project.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Bluewind

@TomFoolery
Ha ha! I love it. That's the perfect way to enjoy a tattoo. Plus with it being covered, you don't have to worry as much about fading :)

@Gawdzilla Sama
Oh my god! That sounds insane! I bet it was a beautiful sight to see. I wonder if he ever expanded it into a full suit?

I'm getting a good laugh out of my tattoo today. The ink from the epidermis is being flushed out of my body by plasma, so I have a plasma buildup that's stained black underneath my Tegaderm. It's good for it because it keeps it moist, but it looks so weird! I took a pic of it and sent it to two friends. The uninked one automatically thought something horribly wrong had happened and my entire tattoo had blown out. The inked one who used the dry heal method thought it looked really freaky and thought something was wrong at first. Then she said it looked like I had the predator symbol on my leg. I laughed my ass off at them. XD

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Bluewind on April 23, 2016, 01:42:33 PM
@Gawdzilla Sama
Oh my god! That sounds insane! I bet it was a beautiful sight to see. I wonder if he ever expanded it into a full suit?
I saw rather more of it than I wanted to see.  :huh:
PZ Myers

Flanker1Six

Quote from: Bluewind on April 22, 2016, 06:33:47 PM
@Gawdzilla Sama

@Flanker1Six You can always go for a henna tattoo. They last about 2 weeks and can be very beautiful. It's fine if you never go through with a permanent tattoo, but if you get the wild hair and get worried about changing your mind later, just do research and find something very meaningful to you and then wait one year. If you still love it and it still means something to you, odds are that it still will later. If you hate it, then you just saved yourself a headache ;)

Those (henna tats) were fairly common in some circles in Israel, Jordan, and Iraq----I'd actually kinda forgot  about them as I've been back in the US  for about 4 years.   

Bluewind

Yeah, henna tattoos aren't that common here, but they are done. The only place I've personally seen it done was for the Indian American community.

Bluewind

My Mamaw use to sing Red Red Robin by Doris Day (link to me every morning when I was a kid to wake me up. I decided I want to get something to remind me of that song tattooed in the area behind my ear to remind me that she will always be a part of me (I have a bigger piece I'm saving for later). I know it will hurt like hell, but I like that spot for this.

I'm thinking a robin would be my best bet or a robin feather, but I'm not sure which one as neither are actually red. I suppose the American one would be best as I am in the US. I thought of replacing the orange with red, but I'm not sure if it will end up looking like a bird other than a robin.

I've yet to nail down a style. I know it can't be realism because the area is too small and almost the robins I've found are all in realism or actually sparrows. I've only crossed out a few others leaving tribal or black work with a flash of color (to help identify it as a robin), old school (the small birds I've found I've really dislike so far), neo traditional, new school, and cartoon off the top of my head.

Anyway, I would love some opinions on this. I would like to have a better idea of what I want so I won't waste too much of my artist' time.

PS: Before anyone asks, I'm not getting a fast food mascot or a comic book character instead :P

Bluewind

I had a new tattoo designed, but then my dad lost his dog. I used the money I saved up to adopt him a really sweet little guy. I can get a tattoo any day. :)

chill98

My ex has a tuttle tat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Tuttle

He arrived in San Fran as a navy recruit and the first day in town he got his tat.  He had no idea this was "the man" until later.  We would go into tat shops (mid 80s) and when he would say he had the tuttle tat, shop would stop and they would discuss the tattoo and how things had changed from the 'old days' to then.

Example: his tat has a flag and they would discuss how in the past, they filled in the stars and left the field light (opposite of a flag color) and that was because of the amount of ink and for blurring. 

Maybe next time he stops by I will get a pic and quiz him a bit to refresh my memory.

Bluewind

Quote from: chill98 on January 19, 2017, 06:02:44 AM
My ex has a tuttle tat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyle_Tuttle

He arrived in San Fran as a navy recruit and the first day in town he got his tat.  He had no idea this was "the man" until later.  We would go into tat shops (mid 80s) and when he would say he had the tuttle tat, shop would stop and they would discuss the tattoo and how things had changed from the 'old days' to then.

Example: his tat has a flag and they would discuss how in the past, they filled in the stars and left the field light (opposite of a flag color) and that was because of the amount of ink and for blurring. 

Maybe next time he stops by I will get a pic and quiz him a bit to refresh my memory.
Wow! I got to say that's pretty amazing. How has it held up? Has he ever got a touch up on it?