News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Tattoo Thread

Started by Bluewind, April 19, 2016, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluewind

After creating this thread asking for help with my tattoo design, I realized we have no dedicated tattoo thread. Since this thread is already talking about tattoos, it's a perfect spot for a tattoo thread to share pictures, designs, questions, tips, stories, and ideas to do with tattoos. :)

Original OP: I'm getting tattooed tomorrow. Here are 2 variations of my design. One has a large curl and the other has a small curl. Being an atheist tattoo, I figured the best people to ask would be yall. I'm open to other suggestions for alterations.

Symbolism: It is a broken infinity symbolizing the beauty in a finite life with hidden lowercase g to take the power away from God and a swirl representing wind and symbolizing that even the invisible is not exempt from scientific proof.

*Scroll down to see a pic of my tattoo!
There is beauty in a finite life.

Poison Tree

While I have no opinion for or against the symbolism, I like the "Large" one purely on aesthetic grounds, presumably because the vertical pieces are closer to the same size as the horizontal pieces giving a more symmetrical look. Of course, depending on the size and location on your body, this may be less of an issue (ie the horizontals may wrap around your arm distorting their apparent size)
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

AkiraTheFighter

Well i'm not gonna tell you which one to get, I'll just give my opinion on the one I like. Which is the large one, It basically looks more even then the small one.

stromboli

Also agree with Poison. Has better symmetry.

doorknob

Wow every one stole the words out of my mouth. I think the large one is better.

Bluewind

Tada! Check out my new ink yall!

AllPurposeAtheist

Just think..someday you'll get old and have a big blue blob on your skin.. Betcha can't wait..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Bluewind

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 21, 2016, 02:10:06 AM
Just think..someday you'll get old and have a big blue blob on your skin.. Betcha can't wait..
The getting old part or the blue blob part? XD

Really, it can be kept beautiful with proper after care, an occasional touch up, and applying sunblock when it will be in the open. And even if it does turn into a blue blob, who cares? One, it's a symbol of finite life so for it to break down and fade would be full circle of its meaning, two it will mean I have lived to an old age, and three rather it's perfect or a blob it will always represent who I was at this moment in my life when I embraced being an atheist. I could never regret such a thing. :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 21, 2016, 02:10:06 AM
This tat was done in 1970.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TomFoolery

No particular symbolism. Just liked it. Hurt like a bitch around the hip bone.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Bluewind

Wow! Nice pieces guys! ^_^

Has anybody else used Tegaderm? It's a fairly new method of healing and I'm loving it! My artist put on some A +D, wiped off excess very thoroughly, did a tight sterile witch hazel wrap to suck out excess plasma, wiped off again, and then applied Tegaderm. It let's it breath because air can move, but liquids can't get in or out. It's clear, sterile, very flexible, feels like wearing nothing, has kept me from feeling sore post tattoo, and protects my ink from germs, dirt, and pain if it's bumped. I can wear whatever clothing I like without it bothering me, I just got out of a nice shower without any problems, and I didn't have to worry about staining my sheets!

My artist said to leave it on 5 days. If plasma builds up, you can either lift a corner, drain, and replace or you can remove it, sterilize and dry, and add a new sheet (they sell it at stores such as Walgreens in the first aid section in the US). All artists recommend using it at least 3 days to get over the worst part of it.

After 5 days, you take it off and the ink will be at the flaky stage. Then it's just a little lotion and gentle soap from there. No hassle and no infection risk like with dry healing. The only thing extra you could do during the healing process is use an ice pack as needed which is recommended even if you dry heal. It's good for after showers or other times when it has some heat in it.

Bluewind

I almost forgot to ask, @Gawdzilla Sama and @TomFoolery , how many hours did you have to sit for them? Did yall do it in one sitting or multiple? What aftercare method did yall use?

TomFoolery

Mine was two sittings, about 3-4 hours each.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Bluewind

Quote from: TomFoolery on April 22, 2016, 03:56:28 PM
Mine was two sittings, about 3-4 hours each.
Ouch! No wonder the hip part hurt. How long ago did you get it? Where did you get the design from?