News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What the aliens are watching

Started by TomFoolery, April 19, 2016, 01:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanker1Six

Quote from: kilodelta on May 06, 2016, 07:37:33 PM
As the local government representative, I'd like to point out that we have not had contact with extraterrestrial aliens and they have nothing to do with the technology in all cell phones to read your thoughts. Carry on.

Good one!   Watched a tech news report the other day...............pertaining to the increasing prevalence and sophistication of hackers, app vendors, and device manufacturers to monitor our devices in many and varied ways (tracking, spying, stealing, advertising................what's the diff?).  The newsies went on to say that James Comey (FBI Director) routinely puts a piece of tape over the web cam on his office comp....................unless he wants to video chat! 

The good news?   Made me feel like less of a dork about doing it to my web cam for the last several years!   :asmile:

Baruch

In government shops, we don't allow monitors with cameras.  People have their personal smart phones with cameras, but those aren't allowed in classified areas.  If you misuse them in unclassified areas ... you will be asked difficult questions.  The idea that Comey has a monitor with a camera on it, shows how hopeless the FBI actually is.  Next thing you know, he will be keeping government email on a private email server in his home ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

I sincerely hope they don't show up soon.  All I can imagine is an image of me crying while aliens are holding a shit-covered anal probe and saying, "Sorry.  We really thought you were into it..."
This sentence is a lie...

_Xenu_

Quote from: Flanker1Six on May 06, 2016, 11:41:22 AM
Not so sure about the alien contact thing; though it has been popular the last 30 years or so.  I see Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk got on the band wagon with some wanna be alien contact project last year.   

The way I look at it is inviting a bunch of highly advanced (as in interstellar travel advanced) aliens you've never met, and know nothing about to your crib (assuming they show up, of course) is the tech equivalent of online dating at serialkillers.com.   NOT gonna end well whether they're friendly or "the other kind".   

Even if they're friendly...............you may count on every government that possibly can, and perhaps even some super rich meddlers; will be busting their asses trying to glom onto some alien tech for whatever their own reasons are.   ANY sudden transfer of advanced tech is highly likely to devastate entire swaths of national/international economies as the old tech is suddenly needless/useless.   That's a whole bunch of social and political unrest, and all the pleasant shit that goes with it.  Say Mr. Spock and his Vulcan Bros suddenly show up  :azn:; flip us the peace sign and give us the transporter platform/beam?  Voila!!!  Depending on the rapidity it's brought into service with.........................there goes billions in transportation industry economy, cars, trucks, railroads, people who build/maintain roads, road making machinery, car tires, you get the drift.  One core tech goes down the drain, then the ripples take effect.   Whole economy is ****** up..............that's when the unrest starts.   Thanks Mr. Spock!   Or course the people raking in the billions in new wealth and influence won't mind so much....................surely they'll look out for the rest of us?     :agreenod:

And what government wouldn't do ANYTHING to get it's hands on some shiny new shit to kill other people with?  Now it's really fun; as the entire world power structure is radically shifted even more quickly than in the above fairly benign scenario.   Gravity polarization for extremely manuverable and fast transatmospheric aircraft anyone?  How about a really small power pack/source to make those directed energy, and electromagnetic party favors small and feasible enough to fit on something smaller than a Zumwalt class destroyer?    **** yea!!  I'll take three!! 

Take that you fill in the blank with most hated group scum!!!  Bbbbbbbzzzzzztttttt!!!!!!!!!!

Bbbbaaahhhh!!!!!  I worry too much.........................what could possibly go wrong?    :evil:

I think thats the kind of stuff Stephen Hawking is afraid of, even if they were relatively benign in intention.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

TomFoolery

Quote from: Flanker1Six on May 06, 2016, 11:41:22 AM
The way I look at it is inviting a bunch of highly advanced (as in interstellar travel advanced) aliens you've never met, and know nothing about to your crib (assuming they show up, of course) is the tech equivalent of online dating at serialkillers.com.   NOT gonna end well whether they're friendly or "the other kind".   

Interesting you say this, because all of our transmissions are leaking into space anyway. That was the whole point of this topic. They may not literally be watching Bonanza, but they can probably pick up our signal if they are at least as advanced as us and actually looking for it. If they are out there, us trying to avoid drawing attention to ourselves and actively trying to avoid contact would be synonymous with Mormons knocking on the door, you visibly peeking through your blinds and yelling, "no one's home!" They know you're home. Just like aliens would know we're here.

The way I see it is, our planet is relatively stationary on a cosmic timescale. We have no where to hide. So if there are aliens out there, we might as well extend a hearty handshake and await an answer. If something does come, no matter what it is, good or bad, odds were it was coming for us eventually anyway.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Unbeliever

I'm pretty sure no extraterrestrial aliens will show up here before I'm dead and gone, and after that - you suckers are on your own!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 11, 2016, 06:58:17 PM
I'm pretty sure no extraterrestrial aliens will show up here before I'm dead and gone, and after that - you suckers are on your own!

Do you taste better with mayonnaise, mustard or ketchup?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

sarah1690

Happy Days? Based on age, "Days Of Our Lives" will get there quicker. Guess we'll be seen as an angst ridden, cheating society full of manipulative schemers versus a vacant brained semi intelligent bunch of shallow and eternally happy people. I'd call that a "lose lose".
>>me too

stromboli

A whole bunch of TV happened before a lot of you were born. I'm thinking they might catch an episode of Roy Rogers and think he and Trigger are having interspecies sex. Or Milton Berle in drag. Or Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Now that would be a poser. They might figure out hand puppets, assuming they have hands. On the other hand, Mighty Mouse or Superman might put the fear in them and they are staying away.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on June 30, 2016, 04:43:27 PM
A whole bunch of TV happened before a lot of you were born. I'm thinking they might catch an episode of Roy Rogers and think he and Trigger are having interspecies sex. Or Milton Berle in drag. Or Kukla, Fran and Ollie. Now that would be a poser. They might figure out hand puppets, assuming they have hands. On the other hand, Mighty Mouse or Superman might put the fear in them and they are staying away.
Or seen F Troop and thought we are just too stupid to mess with. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

Beyond a few light years our television broadcasts are undetectable.

https://briankoberlein.com/2015/02/19/e-t-phone-home/

For example, the most distant human-made object is Voyager I, which has a transmission power of about 23 Watts, and is still detectable by radio telescopes 125 AU away. Proxima Centauri, the closest star to the Sun, is about 2,200 times more distant. Since the strength of a light signal decreases with distance following the inverse square relation, one would need a transmission power of more than 110 million Watts to transmit a signal to Proxima Centauri with the strength of Voyager to Earth. Current TV broadcasts (at least in the States) is limited to around 5 million Watts for UHF stations, and many stations aren’t nearly that powerful.

One might argue that an advanced alien civilization would surely have more advanced detectors than we currently have, so a weaker signal isn’t a huge problem. However the television signals we transmit aren’t targeted at space. Some of the signal does leak out into space, but they aren’t specifically aimed at a stellar target the way Voyager I’s signal is aimed at Earth. They also lack a clear mechanism for how transform the signal to an image. On Earth this works by implementing a specific standard, which any alien civilization would need to reverse engineer to really watch TV. On top of that, there is the problem of scattering and absorption of the signal by interstellar gas and dust. This can diminish the power and distort the signal. Even if aliens could detect our signals, they might still confuse it with background noise. ...

Beyond a few light years, our leaky TV broadcasts are likely undetectable. As we’ve switched to digital television and lower transmission powers they’ve become even harder to detect.  Any aliens looking for us will have to rely on other bits of evidence, such as the indication of water in our atmosphere or chlorophyl on Earth’s surface, just as we will strive to detect such things on distant worlds. Either way, the first message received won’t be a complex text of information. It will simply be a recognition of life on another world.

Draconic Aiur

Cavebear

I've read that our radio and TV signals are just static before they get as far as Pluto and that reaching The Centuri Trinary is out of the question.  Which might be good thing.  I wouldn't want to be an Incan inviting the Spanish to visit...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 05:31:54 AM
I've read that our radio and TV signals are just static before they get as far as Pluto and that reaching The Centuri Trinary is out of the question.  Which might be good thing.  I wouldn't want to be an Incan inviting the Spanish to visit...

Thanks to quantum mechanics ... EM signals don't just attenuate and attenuate ... once you get down to one photon, that is pretty much it.  Other than thinking you might have a broadcast frequency, that is all you would know.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.