News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What the aliens are watching

Started by TomFoolery, April 19, 2016, 01:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Our television signals radiate into space. Traveling at the speed of light, this is how far they've gotten since we started powerful enough broadcasts in the late 1930s.

If there is anyone out there, I hope they don't judge us too harshly over Happy Days. There's also the hope that they are receiving these signals, but have no idea how to descramble them unless of course they have a direct line to Time Warner Cable and can get themselves a box. Based on TWC's current service times, I'd say the citizens of Wolf 359 have as good a chance of getting a functional box delivered in the next century as I do.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

stromboli

Happy Days? Based on age, "Days Of Our Lives" will get there quicker. Guess we'll be seen as an angst ridden, cheating society full of manipulative schemers versus a vacant brained semi intelligent bunch of shallow and eternally happy people. I'd call that a "lose lose".

doorknob

Some of those older broad casts are much more powerful than the newer ones. They are so powerful that if used today they would spam the air waves.

Nonsensei

In the movie Contact, the first televised broadcast was a speech by Hitler. Was that wrong?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

TomFoolery

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 19, 2016, 06:10:53 PM
In the movie Contact, the first televised broadcast was a speech by Hitler. Was that wrong?

It was the first broadcast powerful enough, yes. There were a few other notable broadcasts from that time, but WWII put a huge damper on the TV industry for nearly a decade.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Unbeliever

If they watch our TV for long enough, they'll see we haven't progressed much in these last decades...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllPurposeAtheist

If they watch Lost in Space they'll figure we're completely lost and the earth completely uninhabited. Doctor Smith killed everyone before stowing away..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AkiraTheFighter

Wait I just realized. We can recover all of the lost episodes of Doctor Who this way. O.o

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 19, 2016, 08:32:57 PM
If they watch Lost in Space they'll figure we're completely lost and the earth completely uninhabited. Doctor Smith killed everyone before stowing away..
If they watch Lost In Space, they'll nuke us!  As well they should--I despised that program and the entire cast!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

If anyone has been watching, best explanation ever made.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Is it too late to publish a TV Guide for different parts of the galaxy?  I'm sure the aliens would like to know what century to tune in to various programs.

Flanker1Six

Not so sure about the alien contact thing; though it has been popular the last 30 years or so.  I see Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk got on the band wagon with some wanna be alien contact project last year.   

The way I look at it is inviting a bunch of highly advanced (as in interstellar travel advanced) aliens you've never met, and know nothing about to your crib (assuming they show up, of course) is the tech equivalent of online dating at serialkillers.com.   NOT gonna end well whether they're friendly or "the other kind".   

Even if they're friendly...............you may count on every government that possibly can, and perhaps even some super rich meddlers; will be busting their asses trying to glom onto some alien tech for whatever their own reasons are.   ANY sudden transfer of advanced tech is highly likely to devastate entire swaths of national/international economies as the old tech is suddenly needless/useless.   That's a whole bunch of social and political unrest, and all the pleasant shit that goes with it.  Say Mr. Spock and his Vulcan Bros suddenly show up  :azn:; flip us the peace sign and give us the transporter platform/beam?  Voila!!!  Depending on the rapidity it's brought into service with.........................there goes billions in transportation industry economy, cars, trucks, railroads, people who build/maintain roads, road making machinery, car tires, you get the drift.  One core tech goes down the drain, then the ripples take effect.   Whole economy is ****** up..............that's when the unrest starts.   Thanks Mr. Spock!   Or course the people raking in the billions in new wealth and influence won't mind so much....................surely they'll look out for the rest of us?     :agreenod:

And what government wouldn't do ANYTHING to get it's hands on some shiny new shit to kill other people with?  Now it's really fun; as the entire world power structure is radically shifted even more quickly than in the above fairly benign scenario.   Gravity polarization for extremely manuverable and fast transatmospheric aircraft anyone?  How about a really small power pack/source to make those directed energy, and electromagnetic party favors small and feasible enough to fit on something smaller than a Zumwalt class destroyer?    **** yea!!  I'll take three!! 

Take that you fill in the blank with most hated group scum!!!  Bbbbbbbzzzzzztttttt!!!!!!!!!!

Bbbbaaahhhh!!!!!  I worry too much.........................what could possibly go wrong?    :evil:

Baruch

This is why Star Fleet has a Prime Directive.  Cuts both ways.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

kilodelta

As the local government representative, I'd like to point out that we have not had contact with extraterrestrial aliens and they have nothing to do with the technology in all cell phones to read your thoughts. Carry on.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know