News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Coin Collecting Thread.

Started by AkiraTheFighter, April 17, 2016, 08:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: AkiraTheFighter on April 19, 2016, 02:44:50 PM
Awesome collection. The Guy on the 5 mill note looks like a rapist though. XD I want that chest so bad. _D:

Lol
Shoe should know those, btw; Turkish Bin lira
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

AkiraTheFighter

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 19, 2016, 03:15:08 PM
Lol
Shoe should know those, btw; Turkish Bin lira

Dude the back makes him look like a child molester:

LOL

Flanker1Six

I don't collect any coins/money, but I've run across quite a few different currencies during the course of zooming around the globe.   My favorite paper money is the Jordanian Dinar series.........always thought they were attractively designed bills.

****!  I've still got over; well, what started out back when I got it, as well over $100.00 in New Israeli Shekels (NIS).........I didn't exchange it my last opportunity to do so due my flight being late and having to run to get to the connector.  I live in a one horse village, and the local banks won't touch it.  :(

We used to see some honkin' big (to me) bills on my  Iraq gigs..................think the largest I saw was a 100,000 dinar note........which was slightly over $80.00; if I remember rightly.  The Iraqis always preferred USD as it was worth more in whatever black market exchange skullduggery they were into.  They always wanted to be paid in cash; the newer the bills, the better, as there was a sliding BM exchange rate based on the bill's condition.  The band new shiny ones direct from the Federal Reserve Bank were the most desired.

Oh yea.........................coin collecting!

My Grandfather was an avid coin collector, and as there was a more than 60 year gap in our ages; he'd been collecting since back when many of his coins weren't all that old.  And he had a lot of them.....................so many he'd give lesser quality duplicates/triplicates from his silver dollar collection to us grand kids for Christmas.   The newest I had was like a 1916, and the oldest was from (I think) the 1850s.  To this day........................I'm completely baffled why my mom didn't take them away from us for safe keeping and give us some green money in their stead.   Yea!  You can guess where this is going........................the nearest candy store.  Twiddled every last one of those silver dollars away at local stores for candy and comic books and such.   

Shiranu

Quote from: AkiraTheFighter on April 19, 2016, 02:44:50 PM
Awesome collection. The Guy on the 5 mill note looks like a rapist though. XD I want that chest so bad. _D:

Ataturk... the guy who secularized Turkey and almost single-handedly dragged it out of a failing Ottoman state into a 21st century power. And not that I would expect you to... but I probably wouldn't say that around a Turk. Some of them take him very seriously :P.

As for me... I have a few yen...an Irish and a couple Canadian coins... then a bunch of bills from Latin America. Nothing special, I just keep any foreign coins I find at work.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on April 19, 2016, 11:44:05 AM
Actually a Bison
http://www.livescience.com/32115-bison-vs-buffalo-whats-the-difference.html

Bison have a shoulder hump and a massive head versus a buffalo. I have been close enough to a Bison to pet one. they are now raised for meat.

I have eaten buffalo, but I don't like it as much as Angus beef.  And not as much as elk (which is much less gamy than venison).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

I'm not sure how I missed a coin collecting thread, as it's among my vices.  I do Jefferson nickels, slabbed Ikes, British pre-decimal, Polish, Soviet Russian, and am working on a world birth year set for myself (which will ultimately be some 470 coins I'll need to get; I'm only about a third of the way there).  Some of mine can be seen at Omnicoin, which site I recommend, as well as coinpeople.com for a collector-specific forum.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

I am a coin collector. I collect quarters and put them in rolls. I then put the rolls in a sock and inside another sock. Somebody tries to steal my shit I introduce them to my quarter collection on their cheek bone a couple of times. They don't try to steal my shit any more.

PopeyesPappy

Not really coin collecting per say, but I just got back from buying 25 silver coins for us to give to my sister this weekend for her 25th anniversary. I got 10 silver eagles including a 1991 (the year they were married) and a 2016 (25th anniversary year). Plus I got 5 Canadian maple leafs, 5 Chinese Pandas and 5 Australian Koalas. Dude didn't have 25 silver eagles on hand...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

trdsf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on August 25, 2016, 01:13:38 PM
Not really coin collecting per say, but I just got back from buying 25 silver coins for us to give to my sister this weekend for her 25th anniversary. I got 10 silver eagles including a 1991 (the year they were married) and a 2016 (25th anniversary year). Plus I got 5 Canadian maple leafs, 5 Chinese Pandas and 5 Australian Koalas. Dude didn't have 25 silver eagles on hand...
Nice present - what do I need to do to be related to you?  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

I like coin collecting. It's a very sacriligeous hobby.
Judas Iscariot did it. Ending his collection with 30 silver pieces.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: trdsf on August 25, 2016, 10:12:59 PM
Nice present - what do I need to do to be related to you?  :D

It's from my brother and parents too. As for the last part I guess you could marry my brother, but I'm thinking he probably wouldn't go for that.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AkiraTheFighter on April 19, 2016, 08:34:30 PM
Dude the back makes him look like a child molester:

LOL

The image with children is about a national holiday called Naitonal Soverignty and Children's Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Sovereignty_and_Children%27s_Day

QuoteBackground[edit]

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (mid) in Ankara on the "Day of National Sovereignty", present-day the "National Sovereignty and Children's Day", on April 23, 1929.
This national day, 23 April National Sovereignty and Children's Day, in Turkey is a unique event. The founder of the Turkish Republic, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, made a present of April 23 to all the world's children to emphasize that they are successor of the future.[1][2] It was on April 23, 1920, during the War of Independence, that the Grand National Assembly met in Ankara and laid down the foundations of a new, independent, secular, and modern republic from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire. Following the defeat of the Allied invasion forces on September 9, 1922 and the signing of the Treaty of Lausanne on July 24, 1923, Ataturk started his task of establishing the institutions of the new state. Over the next eight years, Ataturk and his followers adopted sweeping reforms to create a modern Turkey, divorced from her Ottoman past. In unprecedented moves, he dedicated the sovereignty day to the children and entrusted in the hands of the youth the protection of this sovereignty and independence.

April 23 National Sovereignty and Children's Day[edit]
Every year, the children in Turkey celebrate this "Sovereignty and Children's Day" as a national holiday. Schools participate in week-long ceremonies marked by performances in all fields in large stadiums watched by the entire nation. Among the activities on this day, the children send their representatives to replace state officials and high ranking civil servants in their offices. The President, the Prime Minister, the cabinet ministers, provincial governors all turn over their positions to children's representatives. These children, in turn, sign executive orders relating to educational and environmental policies. On this day, the children also replace the parliamentarians in the Grand National Assembly and hold a special session to discuss matters concerning children's issues.[3][4]

Children from Macedonia performing folk dance on the street on the "National Sovereignty and Children's Day" at Beykoz, Istanbul in 2014.
Over the last two decades, the Turkish officials have been working hard to internationalize this important day. Their efforts resulted in large number of world states' sending groups of children to Turkey to participate in the above stated festivities. During their stay in Turkey, the foreign children are housed in Turkish homes and find an important opportunity to interact with the Turkish children and learn about each other's countries and cultures. The foreign children groups also participate in the special session of the Grand National Assembly. This results in a truly international Assembly, where children pledge their commitment to international peace and brotherhood.

The importance of April 23 as a special day of children has been recognized by the international community. UNICEF decided to recognize this important day as the International Children's Day.

The man you thought looked like a child molestor is the Turkish general who defeated Ottoman Empire along with quite a few of European forces, the first Prime Minister of Republic of Turkey who abolished monarchy and caliphate, founded a secular state, introduced laicist system and so brought and enforced standardized secular education for boys and girls and formally recognized children’s rights in 1928 when its signed the Geneva Declaration on the Rights of the Child, four years after the document was drafted.

Forget who he is, not important at all. I find it very odd that the first thing comes to a person's mind looking at a standard picture on a note of money; an offical piece of paper depicting a man -obvioulsy an official- giving a group pf children in school uniforms a bouqet of flowers -obviously in an official ceremony- 'makes him looks like a child molestor'.

PS That money is not current.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp