Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black/Blue/All Lives Matter Megathread

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, July 24, 2016, 11:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: doorknob on September 06, 2016, 01:21:16 PM
no discussion is pointless.

If you don't like our discussion then don't bother reading it. Stop trying to shut people up.

ITP guy tries to get me to stop trying to shut people up by essentially telling me to shut up. Three claps for you sir.

But I'm not trying to shut people up. I'm proposing a suggestion that these issues have no Acton able solution. Can I assume that, since you retreated from the main point of my post and decided to give me snark over some insignificant phrase, that you either agree with me or can't figure out how to argue against it?
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

widdershins

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 06, 2016, 05:52:18 AM
As usual on these forums and everywhere else, the discussion is long on causes, reasons, motivations, agendas, and so forth.

And glaringly short on solutions, suggested courses of action, plans for the future, ideas to repair damage.

I get the feeling that it's because there is no practical solution to be had. That the only thing that can truly correct racial tension is time and education. That the controversy of this issue is a manifestation of our powerlessness to summon Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream before it is damn well good and ready to arrive, and that until it does the topic has no practical use as anything other than a political club used to beat opponents into submission.

For example, we can agree that cops too readily shoot black people. What's the solution to that? Prosecution? That only ensures that cops who shoot black people without cause go to jail. It does nothing to prevent other racist cops from continuing to have a hair trigger around black suspects. New training? Forgive me if I put less than absolute faith in the ability of training to erase racial bias in a police officer.

Many if not all of the racial issues in this country have the same problem: no solution. No magic button to push that ends racism. You might say changes can be made and laws passed that enable the social progress necessary to eliminate racism from our society, but laws and changes like that HAVE been implemented in the past yet, according to the "black community" racism is still as healthy as ever.

So, is this discussion pointless? Is there even anything to be done here or are we just exchanging one-ups?
Any correction starts by identifying the problem, which is the point of these discussions.  Even if it can only be fixed by "time and education", that fix doesn't even begin until conversations bring to light that there is even a problem.
This sentence is a lie...

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nonsensei on September 06, 2016, 02:58:22 PM
ITP guy tries to get me to stop trying to shut people up by essentially telling me to shut up. Three claps for you sir.

But I'm not trying to shut people up. I'm proposing a suggestion that these issues have no Acton able solution. Can I assume that, since you retreated from the main point of my post and decided to give me snark over some insignificant phrase, that you either agree with me or can't figure out how to argue against it?
I don't know if this is your point or if it's the opposite of your point, but I think the point of these discussions *should be* about trying to brainstorm what the underlying reasons for the things that happen and how to solve them.

For instance, I personally think the discrimination that happens against black people, violence, and the slavery that even though it's gone and done with, there is something else that we need to deal with. Kind of like when someone keeps sneezing and coughing, you can either grab some lozenges, or you can find out what the cause is and get rid of that. Maybe it's the flu and you need some medicine to wipe out the germs, maybe it's allergies and you need some antihistamine.

I feel like the way this black lives matter movement is going about it is the way lozenges act against a cough. It doesn't get rid of whatever is causing the cough, it just kind of temporarily numbs the throat to make the person feel better while the germs just multiply because you're not treating the disease correctly. Black lives matter fights racism with racism. It's not across the board that it's fighting racism with racism, but it happens way too frequently and it's not made clear enough to the people acting out like this that they are not welcome in this "equality" movement. And I put equality in quotations only for that reason, because it has the potential to be a great cause, but because of a lot of bad apples, the whole tree went rotten. Remove all the bad apples and you have a healthy tree. Remove the violent and and hateful blm members and you have a movement for equality and not for "equality".

Baruch

The reason why one sub-culture has to be opposed to another sub-culture, is that helps The Man.  Divide and conquer boys.

The past can't be changed.  The present is too transient.  Only the future can be better.  How can the future be better ... you have to be a better person yourself, you can then embody a better future, if you live long enough.  It isn't possible to make a better future by beating the other guy over the head with a night stick or by tazering him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I don't admire "thug life", but I think it is more a poverty thing than a racial one.  Poor white kids relate to rap and "thug" as well as poor black, hispanic, and asians do.  And some ignore it when they see a way out out of poverty.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!