News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Infant Circumcision Immoral?

Started by Bluewind, April 14, 2016, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Not a word on FGM?

I know, I will be slapped down for mentioning it.

aitm

Quote from: infidelguy on July 29, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
None of my boys were circumcised.

Well, Hello Reggie, always an honor when you stop by and visit with us.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

For the original question; I don't think so, no.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Quote from: pr126 on July 29, 2016, 11:30:06 AM
Not a word on FGM?

I know, I will be slapped down for mentioning it.
Why would you be slapped down?
I see them as very different issues though.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Six of one half of the other. Think its the parent's decision.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mermaid on July 30, 2016, 07:29:44 PM
Why would you be slapped down?
I see them as very different issues though.

Completely different. That is more like cutting off the head of the penis for the sole purpose of making sure the man couldn't have as much sexual pleasure (in the culture pr is talking about, anyways).

That said, there are Christians and pagans who do the same and far worse that I don't know the details on as well... the Christians I would assume is also for puritan reasons, the pagan I have seen various reasons between tribes, from sewing it shut to keep demons in to "its fashionable" in other more developed countries.

FGM as we address it is just the clitorectomy ( spelling?), but all sorts of FGM are extremely common across central Africa, and have been long before the Abrahamic religions arrived.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

randomvim

where do you get your morals?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

randomvim

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 14, 2016, 07:54:35 PM
Theres no hygiene advantage that cannot be achieved by simply washing yourself regularly.

The only other advantage is that, at least in America, women are so used to seeing a circumcised penis that you might run into those who simply find the foreskin "gross". Could become an issue for your son if the girl he likes wont go near him because he isn't circumcised. Then again if shes that hung up on it maybe shes not the right girl.

In my experience the majority of women don't seem to give a shit as long as you are keeping it clean.

Beyond those two points theres really no other advantage I can think of. Someone once said to me that it reduces instances of penile cancer. I think that kind of cancer is already pretty unusual, but I also have a problem with the logic of cutting off a piece of the body to keep from developing a cancer associated with it. Shall we do pre-emptive hysterectomies too? Beat breast cancer today with mandatory hysterectomies!

Yeah not so much.

1. I here the "just wash it" remark about zits and that is referred to as false. why or how would it be true for any other bacterial issue? not saying circumcisions would be the right response, just unclear by yours.

2. I'd agree with the gross comment. I do believe America had circumcisions standard by hospitals after ww1 or maybe a little before?

3. hysterectomies are not same as circumcision and you know it is not.

Jason78

Quote from: Bluewind on April 14, 2016, 07:31:28 PM
Is Infant Circumcision Immoral?

For the last time...  "Yes!".

It's wrong to perform unnecessary surgery on someone that can't consent to it.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

Quote from: randomvim on September 11, 2016, 02:58:51 AM
where do you get your morals?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Social experience.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: randomvim on September 19, 2016, 10:39:26 PM
That dictates how we all should act?
There is no way we should act, but some actions have better results than others. Experience is a good way to figure out what those are.

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

TrueStory

This is one topic that i have changed my mind on because of this forum.  There was a former member hell bent on no circumcision who made some pretty compelling arguments.  I'm circumcised and if I have a son I will not do that to him even though i'm quite happy with myself.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Cavebear

Quote from: Bluewind on April 15, 2016, 12:05:45 PM
As it is often done automatically unless the parents tell the doctor specifically not to, I thing I can safely say it's encouraged. The very fact that it's the standard speaks volumes. There are even instances where the parent told them not to and they did it anyway!

At MY time, it was consider hygenic and non-controversial.  Can't say I've missed my foreskin...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!