News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Infant Circumcision Immoral?

Started by Bluewind, April 14, 2016, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonsensei

Quote from: Bluewind on April 14, 2016, 10:15:33 PM
I have to say, I'm really enjoying this conversation. Everyone is bring up some great relative points. I love how Nonsense i put it saying that men are divided depending on how they themselves look. I really wish that the procedure had a minimum age it could be preformed unless it was done for a medically necessary reason or (maybe) if a parent was Jewish or one of the religions that REQUIRE it (not encourage or are neutral about). Otherwise, they can wait until the age of consent (18 or older) and if they want it done, they can get it done and if not, they get to stay intact. After all, you can't uncut a foreskin. ;)

I think its worth pointing out that if we wait until guys are 18 and let them decide, probably not very many guys would elect to have it done. I bet the practice would die out rather quickly if we left it up to the guy.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

AllPurposeAtheist

Yes, the wonderful parents I love and care about were so morally bankrupt they had me snipped. OH THE SHAME!  THE  DEGRADATION!  THE HUMILIATING FEELINGS!
On the other hand (no pun intended...Ok, it was intended) I rather like my pecker and still love my folks  as morally corrupted as they were.. But by GOD they weren't litter bugs and too immoral to burn houses, villages, women and children! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Bluewind

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 14, 2016, 11:19:49 PM
I think its worth pointing out that if we wait until guys are 18 and let them decide, probably not very many guys would elect to have it done. I bet the practice would die out rather quickly if we left it up to the guy.
Then again, some guys get their junk pierced, so it would probably still exist even if it's to a lesser degree.
There is beauty in a finite life.

Shukhov

Considering that it is done without consent of person being circumcised I think it is wrong. It's not vaccination, it's just religious practice which may or may not have some upsides so I see no reasons for doing it.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Nonsensei on April 14, 2016, 11:19:49 PM
Isn't that the point?

And yeah. Some women think it's weird, but that is also because in societies where circumcision is the norm, by default, it leaves people with uncircumcised dicks as the abnorma, aka "weird". And weird grosses people out.

Mr.Obvious

Uncut and glad for it. No scalpel coming anywhere near to my junk or that of my kids when i have them.
It has no benefits this day and age, perhaps once it did. But if it doesn't now, i'd rather keep al blades away from my pecker.

That said, i'm not sure i'd argue it immoral for most parents. While it is a Remnant of a bygone age born from religion and tradition, i imagine many don't see it that way. Call it ignorance, but i think many buy into The idea that it's The healthy thing to do. Even if it isn't, if you truly believe that and act in The bestwil of someone who can't make that decision yet, i don't think you can call it immoral.
If you, incorrectly, believe there to be only upsides to circumcission and only risk and downsides to not having it done, would it not be immoral not to do it and protect your Son from Harm?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Bluewind

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 15, 2016, 02:35:08 AM
Isn't that the point?

And yeah. Some women think it's weird, but that is also because in societies where circumcision is the norm, by default, it leaves people with uncircumcised dicks as the abnorma, aka "weird". And weird grosses people out.
Agreed. When you really stop to think about it, we have this thing happening every day that everyone considers normal that is actually an immoral act. That's not to say all men dislike it or even think about it, but at the very least they should have been consulted before they had their bodies permanently altered. It is no different than if parents started cutting off part of their babies' left ear because Vincent Van Gosh did it.

@Mr.Obvious Then again, there have been plenty of societal norms that have later been deemed bad, unhealthy, or even immoral. The fact that the medical community pushes for it here and can even do it at times without asking the permission of the parents shows it to be immoral as well. A doctor wouldn't chop off a kid's little toe just because a parent wanted it gone, so why are the chopping off foreskins?

Mr.Obvious

Oh don't get me wrong. I want this practice gone, at least in this forced, almost mandatory way. All i'm saying is that i wouldn't deem an uninformed, ignorant decision an immoral one for lacking insight. There is a clear right and wrong here. But morality is based on perception of what we think is reality, not The full reality itself, if that makes sense.

Bluewind

Yes it does. I'm just saying that that makes what the medical staff is doing immoral because they are well educated people who should put their foot down on the matter. By endorsing and outright encouraging it, they are causing laypeople to believe that it is the correct thing to do. If they can't refused to do it or actively disagree, they could at least discouraged parents from doing it. I think the numbers would go down then.

Baruch

Quote from: Bluewind on April 14, 2016, 10:15:33 PM
I have to say, I'm really enjoying this conversation. Everyone is bring up some great relative points. I love how Nonsense i put it saying that men are divided depending on how they themselves look. I really wish that the procedure had a minimum age it could be preformed unless it was done for a medically necessary reason or (maybe) if a parent was Jewish or one of the religions that REQUIRE it (not encourage or are neutral about). Otherwise, they can wait until the age of consent (18 or older) and if they want it done, they can get it done and if not, they get to stay intact. After all, you can't uncut a foreskin. ;)

In ancient times, some Jewish men, had a foreskin reattached (obviously from a fresh donor male).  No anesthetic.  This circumcision made more sense in ancient times ... people didn't have much opportunity to wash regularly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on April 14, 2016, 08:00:35 PM
I have heard a lot of women say this. It makes me sad. The most common reason I hear for doing it is that they want their kid's penis to look like Dad's. I am a woman, so I don't know a lot about the psychology of that. How important is that to boys?

Didn't get to see my dad's junk very often, but while we were both circumcised, we weren't matching ... his was much larger than mine when I was 5 years old ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Had a discussion with a Urologist about it about 6 years ago. He said it was an unnecessary operation and in an adult, quite painful. He had never personally seen a health reason to perform one.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Bluewind on April 15, 2016, 04:56:09 AM
Yes it does. I'm just saying that that makes what the medical staff is doing immoral because they are well educated people who should put their foot down on the matter. By endorsing and outright encouraging it, they are causing laypeople to believe that it is the correct thing to do. If they can't refused to do it or actively disagree, they could at least discouraged parents from doing it. I think the numbers would go down then.

Oh, Well i was just talking about The parents.
I have to ask though; do doctors really, ActiveLy encourage this practice where you live? I can't relate because it is not being encouraged where i'm from. If it is really ActiveLy encouraged by docs; yeah that shit Should stop.

Bluewind

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 15, 2016, 11:51:39 AM
Oh, Well i was just talking about The parents.
I have to ask though; do doctors really, ActiveLy encourage this practice where you live? I can't relate because it is not being encouraged where i'm from. If it is really ActiveLy encouraged by docs; yeah that shit Should stop.
As it is often done automatically unless the parents tell the doctor specifically not to, I thing I can safely say it's encouraged. The very fact that it's the standard speaks volumes. There are even instances where the parent told them not to and they did it anyway!

Gawdzilla Sama

Luckily for me, I was a second son.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers