Rebuttal to image 'atheist atrocity'? Maybe start a trend with an opposing image

Started by DavidOller, April 14, 2016, 04:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 31, 2017, 10:42:19 AM
Germans were 97% religious in the 20th C. Christians did the Holocaust.

Yeah, I know.  But atheist communists weren't any better.  Bad people have all sorts of beliefs and non-beliefs.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

TJ

"Firstly, Hitler was a Christian"

No, he wasn't. He may have claimed to be a Christian, but I can claim to be an astronaut, it doesn't make me one.

Christ's own words: "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"  - Matthew 7:22-23.

"his regime was based on the Christians doctrines"

No, it wasn't. The apostle Peter was told by Jesus: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52) Jesus showed that his followers would not take up weapons of warfare.

The Encyclopedia of Religion and War states: “The earliest followers of Jesus rejected war and military service,” recognizing those practices as “incompatible with the love ethic of Jesus and the injunction to love one’s enemies.”

Baruch

The Papacy was behind WW I, WW II and fascism between the wars.  Mussolini was the chosen one, but Hitler stole his thunder.  Hitler himself was a neo-pagan Catholic ... not unusual BTW.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hitler's Christianity

QuoteTo deny the influence of Christianity on Hitler and its role in World War II, means that you must ignore history and forever bar yourself from understanding the source of German anti-Semitism and how the WWII atrocities occurred.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: TJ on February 01, 2017, 02:30:26 AM

No, he wasn't. He may have claimed to be a Christian, but I can claim to be an astronaut, it doesn't make me one.

Christ's own words: "Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!"  - Matthew 7:22-23.

No, it wasn't. The apostle Peter was told by Jesus: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52) Jesus showed that his followers would not take up weapons of warfare.

The Encyclopedia of Religion and War states: “The earliest followers of Jesus rejected war and military service,” recognizing those practices as “incompatible with the love ethic of Jesus and the injunction to love one’s enemies.”

You mistake the unprovability of faith (Hitler could be a Christian just by declaring he was) with the fact of being a astronaut (it takes actual events to be one).  It is a typical faith-based irrational interpretation of events vs belief.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 09:21:09 AM
Ah, but was he a good Christian?  No true Scotsman.
I've heard that--He's or she's a good christian--all my life.  I would contend that there isn't such a person in that each person would have a different version of what that means.  It is just the typical meaningless statement made by theists all the time; and all the sheeple nod their heads, knowingly.................If I head it said of a business person, I don't do business with them for they will fuck you over every chance they get.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 05, 2017, 09:42:32 AM
I've heard that--He's or she's a good christian--all my life.  I would contend that there isn't such a person in that each person would have a different version of what that means.  It is just the typical meaningless statement made by theists all the time; and all the sheeple nod their heads, knowingly.................If I head it said of a business person, I don't do business with them for they will fuck you over every chance they get.

Thus, the need for government regulations on business.  In my time, I've met a lot of businessmen.  Not one single one of them had any ethics that I could detect. 

I carpooled with one for months and we had amazing discussions.  He never grasped that there were rules other than to be gotten around.  As far as I could tell, he was very typical.

And he was a Repub, BTW...

Baruch

Every force generates an equal and opposite force.  Thus regulations proliferate ... as gambit, counter-gambit.  Eventually it is impossible to follow them, not even read them.  Bureaucracy is the enemy, both in public and private corporations.  And it is like the Hydra, you can't kill it easily, it responds like a bad video game!  Think of it as a dialectic .. I am surprised that Marx didn't think of that.  He hoped for a single unitary government, without any private business at all ... but that is like one hand bribing ... there is always both a briber and a bribee.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

The Encyclopedia of Religion and War states: “The earliest followers of Jesus rejected war and military service,”

but after those two died, the rest of the followers pretty much killed anyone who didn't agree so....yeah...you should probably read more real history and not so much "alternative" history.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

No True Scotsman, eh laddie?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

A problem with comparing theistic vs atheistic views of world leaders is that atheism isn't a belief.  Any idiot can be  atheist. That doesn't mean they act AS atheists in their lethal actions.  But theistic Dictatorial Leaders do have some specific belief and they act thinking they are following that belief.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 05, 2017, 09:21:09 AM
Ah, but was he a good Christian? 

Doesn't matter at all - if he had Jesus in his heart, he's now with God and Jesus in heaven. Unlike Gandhi, who said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 11, 2017, 05:10:29 PM
Doesn't matter at all - if he had Jesus in his heart, he's now with God and Jesus in heaven. Unlike, Gandhi, who said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

SCORE for Ghandi on that one...