News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An Autistic Hello ...

Started by marom1963, April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllRight

Welcome!!  I have an adult son with many of the same issues you are living with.  Congrats on going to school to pursue something you love, that is a huge accomplishment that I hope brings you much joy!

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM
Hi. My name is Mark. I am 52 years-old. Because I am mentally ill (autism, obsessive/compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder)I have just now - after much treatment and therapy - gotten to where I can go to college. I am studying mathematics, my life-long passion.

I have spent most of my life in a shell and am not very good at socializing but am trying very hard to learn. I keep offending people w/o meaning to offend them, so I apologize in advance because I know that I will manage to offend somebody here - again, w/o meaning to do it. Mostly I offend people by being what I am told is "blunt". I cannot understand why anyone would want to obfuscate matters, but it seems that people do ... It seems that people do not die - they "pass away" and "go to better places" ???

Frankly, I find the outside World a very uncomfortable place. I find that I am surrounded by people who are desperate to believe the unbelievable - believe anything, so long as it is illogical and cannot be supported by any shred of evidence, everything from Big Foot to God. At my treatment center, I sit in silence, while my fellow group members amaze each other with their ghost stories - every bump in the night is proof of the Great Beyond. The anecdotal evidence of Grandma is better than the best laboratory to these people ... sigh ...

Anyway, I hope to talk to people here who are not so gullible - people who believe in logic, people who believe in - reality.

There is no need to believe in logic it is there governing the universe and a very intangible way.

I also like mathematics very much, do you have a favourite branch of mathematics? My favourite is either topology or abstract algebra.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

marom1963

Quote from: AllRight on April 16, 2016, 09:14:32 AM
Welcome!!  I have an adult son with many of the same issues you are living with.  Congrats on going to school to pursue something you love, that is a huge accomplishment that I hope brings you much joy!
Thank you.
Yes. It's a shame that when we were kids there was not the help available that there is nowadays. It took 7 years of therapy to get me out of my shell enough to go to college - and I need a team to keep there: case worker, licensed clinical social worker, as well as being registered as a student w/a disability. I've got to present each teacher w/my "note" at the start of each semester that details all of my "issues" - talking to myself, repeating what is said to me before answering (and in the same tone that it is said to me), my incessant doodling, my apparent day-dreaming - I am not, just seem to be - my clumsiness, my need to sit further apart from others than usual, my illegible handwriting - DON'T touch me; I cannot stand for anyone but my sister to touch me - ignore my hand-flapping - my speech impediment - the list of words that I cannot pronounce, etc. Oh, and the clocks. I've got several of them w/me at all times.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on April 16, 2016, 10:17:58 AM
There is no need to believe in logic it is there governing the universe and a very intangible way.

I also like mathematics very much, do you have a favourite branch of mathematics? My favourite is either topology or abstract algebra.
Mine is algebra - I prefer not to put the qualifier "abstract" before the word b/c I am forever going back to the foundations and then going forward to analysis. I love the whole of the subject. I also love arithmetic - what is now called "number theory". I would love geometry, if it were not for dyslexia. I am forever confusing shapes, and it is so hard ... But I do love Euclidean geometry simply because therein lies so much that is foundational to formal logic - which is another passion of mine. I am fine w/memorizing Euclid, so long as I do not spend too much time looking at the shapes. I can memorize the definitions, the axioms, the postulates and understand them perfectly, until I see the shapes. Then I become hopelessly confused. This is why I cannot drive a car. I know my left hand - dominant - from my right, until I go to use them. W/habitual activities, I am fine. W/sudden moves, I break things - so, no driving for Mark.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Solomon Zorn

Welcome, Mark!

I frequently offer poems to new members. I think you might like this one:
http://www.solomonzorn.com/read-the-sign.html
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

marom1963

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on April 18, 2016, 08:18:56 AM
Welcome, Mark!

I frequently offer poems to new members. I think you might like this one:
http://www.solomonzorn.com/read-the-sign.html
Thank you. I like the last line best.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

gentle_dissident

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 05:52:54 AM
Thank you ... Still, I'll try not to piss you off ...  This might might work, though - I live in NJ. My response to the recent furor over the passing of legislation to allow transgendered students to use the bathrooms and locker-rooms of their choice was "I don't care". Civilized people should have gotten over nudity a long time ago, end of story. It's time to grow up. Too many other things are really important. Do your body functions or change for gym or class and stop being such a baby about it. If you're the average person, you look much better w/your clothes on, anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGv6exoKkw&feature=em-share_video_user

Flanker1Six

Hey!  Belated welcome from me!  :clap:   Hope you are entertained, outraged, intrigued, and baffled by our crew of rascals!   

PS:  Don't leave any valuables unattended though!   :smiley:

Pipu.Diiding

Hi Mark
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think being blunt is a bad thing. I've had trouble keeping friends due to that. But being blunt = honest especially when we're being asked for our opinions. It's always better to dish it out as clear and honest as possible. :)
We must question the logic of having an all-knowing/powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: marom1963 on April 18, 2016, 08:27:17 AM
Thank you. I like the last line best.
I'm glad you liked the poem.

I commend your ambition and determination, in overcoming some severe social barriers, and attending college. Very inspiring.

If you're interested, here's another poem. It's not religious, but it has a passing reference to mathematics(the speed of light): http://www.solomonzorn.com/beyond-the-blue.html
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

marom1963

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on June 05, 2016, 06:53:26 AM
I'm glad you liked the poem.

I commend your ambition and determination, in overcoming some severe social barriers, and attending college. Very inspiring.

If you're interested, here's another poem. It's not religious, but it has a passing reference to mathematics(the speed of light): http://www.solomonzorn.com/beyond-the-blue.html
It's lovely. I don't see anything religious about it. It's what I would call "secular awe" and proves that awe does not need religion - or even a mention of God.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

I would like to thank everyone who welcomed me to the Forum. Thank you.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

barearth82

Howdy mark, I'm new around here as well. Kudos on getting school going, you can never learn too much. My daughter is autistic as well, and because of her I have met and friended many autistic people. I have found that in these circles there is a more truthful and firm foundation for a friendship because of bluntness and articulation. You'll get no complaints from me! Lol.