Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An Autistic Hello ...

Started by marom1963, April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Divina

A warm welcome, from a newbie to a newbie. 😁

Baruch

Welcome also.  I hope some form of Internet dialog will be more comfortable, make more sense, then the everyday.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I know..As atheists we're all so enlightened to be the anointed logictarians.. There's nothing magical about it, but to read some atheists you might think that we're the only people who ever experience logic ot who have the least bit of use for science.. I don't feel special and don't buy the reasoning behind the notion that anyone who believes in a god is completely void of logic.
It's only a part of who people are..
It's like saying that anyone who doesn't wear blue socks must be color blind..
I'm not saying religion makes a bit of sense. It doesn't, but it doesn't automatically make anyone void of logic either..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Bluewind

Welcome my dear! First off, you aren't "mentally ill". Just toss that out the window. Saying you are ill implies that something is wrong with you or you are sick. You're not. Your beautiful brain just functions differently than the average person's does and with therapy and the right medication, you can do just fine. As someone with OCD, major depression, and social anxiety (large crowds freak me out!) who just happened to have 2 years of college for Occupational Therapy (had to drop out because of Hemiplegic Migraines), I feel comfortable telling you that. Pull a Naurito and turn your greatest weakness into your greatest strength ;)

I fellow math nerd! √-1 ♡ Math! You would probably love the fact that some of use the empty set symbol to signify that there are no dieties. I have a symbol I made (rough draft in my signature and better example on the last page of my intro) that's a broken infinity that I'm getting tattooed on me soon.

You don't have to worry about being blunt here. We're cool with it. We have a forum specifically for people to argue in! So don't worry.

When it comes to Autism and Aspergers, it's rare to find one that's NOT an atheist or at least agnostic. Your brain is a force of logic and diety worship goes against the very core of who you are! I hope you find someone like minded where you are or at least someone who belongs to one of the less judgey religions. :)
There is beauty in a finite life.

gentle_dissident

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM
The anecdotal evidence of Grandma is better than the best laboratory to these people ... sigh ...
Being able to LARP all day long could be considered a plus.

Welcome. I feel ya.

Unbeliever

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM
Hi. My name is Mark. I am 52 years-old. Because I am mentally ill (autism, obsessive/compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder)I have just now - after much treatment and therapy - gotten to where I can go to college. I am studying mathematics, my life-long passion.

I have spent most of my life in a shell and am not very good at socializing but am trying very hard to learn. I keep offending people w/o meaning to offend them, so I apologize in advance because I know that I will manage to offend somebody here - again, w/o meaning to do it. Mostly I offend people by being what I am told is "blunt". I cannot understand why anyone would want to obfuscate matters, but it seems that people do ... It seems that people do not die - they "pass away" and "go to better places" ???

Frankly, I find the outside World a very uncomfortable place. I find that I am surrounded by people who are desperate to believe the unbelievable - believe anything, so long as it is illogical and cannot be supported by any shred of evidence, everything from Big Foot to God. At my treatment center, I sit in silence, while my fellow group members amaze each other with their ghost stories - every bump in the night is proof of the Great Beyond. The anecdotal evidence of Grandma is better than the best laboratory to these people ... sigh ...

Anyway, I hope to talk to people here who are not so gullible - people who believe in logic, people who believe in - reality.

A hearty hiyo  to ya!

You needn't worry too much about giving offense, since offence can't be given - only taken.

I don't know if I believe in reality or not - since I'm still trying to figure out just what it is. I've been reading a lot about mathematics recently, myself, since I hadn't gotten deep into it before. The history of the subject is really fascinating, such colorful people!

Welcome to our funhouse!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hijiri Byakuren

From one autistic person to another, I understand your struggle. "Normal" people are so hard to understand. Sometimes I think they're the ones who need special ed, not us. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 14, 2016, 08:47:50 PM
From one autistic person to another, I understand your struggle. "Normal" people are so hard to understand. Sometimes I think they're the ones who need special ed, not us. :lol:
I am not autistic--well, I don't think so.  Anyway, I wanted to be 'normal' or considered so, while growing up.  In the middle of adulthood, it dawned on me I would much rather be healthy than normal.  What the hell is normal anyway????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 14, 2016, 10:18:22 PM
I am not autistic--well, I don't think so.  Anyway, I wanted to be 'normal' or considered so, while growing up.  In the middle of adulthood, it dawned on me I would much rather be healthy than normal.  What the hell is normal anyway????
From my autistic perspective, "normal" is a mental defect which causes people to expect perfect comprehension of body language and vocal tone.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Bluewind

Quote from: gentle_dissident on April 14, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
Being able to LARP all day long could be considered a plus.

Welcome. I feel ya.
Immediately thought of this video XD
Religious People Are Nerds by College Humor
There is beauty in a finite life.

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 14, 2016, 11:57:01 AM
That's true.  And yet, these are incredibly popular and longstanding beliefs all the same.  It is frustrating to deal with.
Karma can be falsified with just a quick glance around Congress.
:histerical:
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: Divina on April 14, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
A warm welcome, from a newbie to a newbie. 😁
Thank you.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: Bluewind on April 14, 2016, 02:34:34 PM
Welcome my dear! First off, you aren't "mentally ill". Just toss that out the window. Saying you are ill implies that something is wrong with you or you are sick. You're not. Your beautiful brain just functions differently than the average person's does and with therapy and the right medication, you can do just fine. As someone with OCD, major depression, and social anxiety (large crowds freak me out!) who just happened to have 2 years of college for Occupational Therapy (had to drop out because of Hemiplegic Migraines), I feel comfortable telling you that. Pull a Naurito and turn your greatest weakness into your greatest strength ;)

I fellow math nerd! √-1 ♡ Math! You would probably love the fact that some of use the empty set symbol to signify that there are no dieties. I have a symbol I made (rough draft in my signature and better example on the last page of my intro) that's a broken infinity that I'm getting tattooed on me soon.
Empty set - that's funny! A little sad for the empty set, though ... My sister gets migraines. She has something that comes in doses that she squirts up her nose. If she gets it just as the migraine starts, it stops the migraine dead in its tracks. I forget what it's called - have you heard of it? It's a miracle, according to her.
Well, thank you very much. Very encouraging.
You don't have to worry about being blunt here. We're cool with it. We have a forum specifically for people to argue in! So don't worry.

When it comes to Autism and Aspergers, it's rare to find one that's NOT an atheist or at least agnostic. Your brain is a force of logic and diety worship goes against the very core of who you are! I hope you find someone like minded where you are or at least someone who belongs to one of the less judgey religions. :)
OMNIA DEPENDET ...