News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

An Autistic Hello ...

Started by marom1963, April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marom1963

Hi. My name is Mark. I am 52 years-old. Because I am mentally ill (autism, obsessive/compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder)I have just now - after much treatment and therapy - gotten to where I can go to college. I am studying mathematics, my life-long passion.

I have spent most of my life in a shell and am not very good at socializing but am trying very hard to learn. I keep offending people w/o meaning to offend them, so I apologize in advance because I know that I will manage to offend somebody here - again, w/o meaning to do it. Mostly I offend people by being what I am told is "blunt". I cannot understand why anyone would want to obfuscate matters, but it seems that people do ... It seems that people do not die - they "pass away" and "go to better places" ???

Frankly, I find the outside World a very uncomfortable place. I find that I am surrounded by people who are desperate to believe the unbelievable - believe anything, so long as it is illogical and cannot be supported by any shred of evidence, everything from Big Foot to God. At my treatment center, I sit in silence, while my fellow group members amaze each other with their ghost stories - every bump in the night is proof of the Great Beyond. The anecdotal evidence of Grandma is better than the best laboratory to these people ... sigh ...

Anyway, I hope to talk to people here who are not so gullible - people who believe in logic, people who believe in - reality.

OMNIA DEPENDET ...

PickelledEggs

Hey buddy! Welcome to the forum. We've had a rush of new members, so feel free to poke around and feel at home.

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens, marom.
I think, on average, we're pretty Blunt too.
I anxiously await The day you piss me off, but for now all i can say is you are most Welcome, and glad to have you.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

PickelledEggs

Yeah. For the most part, we are pretty blunt... I get in trouble IRL for that... lol Not everyone likes that apparently.

Hydra009

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AMI have spent most of my life in a shell and am not very good at socializing but am trying very hard to learn. I keep offending people w/o meaning to offend them, so I apologize in advance because I know that I will manage to offend somebody here - again, w/o meaning to do it. Mostly I offend people by being what I am told is "blunt". I cannot understand why anyone would want to obfuscate matters, but it seems that people do ... It seems that people do not die - they "pass away" and "go to better places" ???

Frankly, I find the outside World a very uncomfortable place. I find that I am surrounded by people who are desperate to believe the unbelievable - believe anything, so long as it is illogical and cannot be supported by any shred of evidence, everything from Big Foot to God.
I couldn't empathize more!  Damn, maybe I should get my head checked.  *nervous chuckle*

It's difficult to deal with people people who can't come to grips with reality and cloak unpleasant truths with euphemism.  I suppose their existence is an unpleasant truth in itself.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 14, 2016, 04:59:38 AM
Yeah. For the most part, we are pretty blunt... I get in trouble IRL for that... lol Not everyone likes that apparently.
Everyone likes candor until you're candid with them.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 14, 2016, 05:11:33 AM
Everyone likes candor until you're candid with them.
Eh. I like people being blunt with me. I actually prefer it, if their statement is accurate... which is the reason why I feel it's good that I have a to-the-point way of saying things.

marom1963

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 14, 2016, 04:28:47 AM
Hey buddy! Welcome to the forum. We've had a rush of new members, so feel free to poke around and feel at home.
Thank you.
The more members, the better. It's tiring being so in the minority. I'm the only (open) atheist at my treatment center, at my residence, in my family - sometimes, it seems the World.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 14, 2016, 04:51:29 AM
Welcome to our little band of heathens, marom.
I think, on average, we're pretty Blunt too.
I anxiously await The day you piss me off, but for now all i can say is you are most Welcome, and glad to have you.
Thank you ... Still, I'll try not to piss you off ...  This might might work, though - I live in NJ. My response to the recent furor over the passing of legislation to allow transgendered students to use the bathrooms and locker-rooms of their choice was "I don't care". Civilized people should have gotten over nudity a long time ago, end of story. It's time to grow up. Too many other things are really important. Do your body functions or change for gym or class and stop being such a baby about it. If you're the average person, you look much better w/your clothes on, anyway.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

marom1963

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 14, 2016, 05:11:09 AM
I couldn't empathize more!  Damn, maybe I should get my head checked.  *nervous chuckle*

It's difficult to deal with people people who can't come to grips with reality and cloak unpleasant truths with euphemism.  I suppose their existence is an unpleasant truth in itself.
That's it - they exist. They refuse to live. You can't live until you accept, embrace, death. As long as you go around believing that life is in infinite supply, you can spend what little life you really do have fucking around, believing - not thinking - that you'll get your "reward" on the "other side".  I listen to people all the time, muttering their faith in utter nonsense - "what goes around comes around" - "karma's a bitch" - "God doesn't like ugly" - all sorts of ridiculous statements that could not stand up to the most cursory of examinations. No matter how one defines evil, one can easily find an example of someone evil who died peacefully in bed, surrounded by loved ones, his/her fortune in tact, while millions of good people suffered the "tortures of the damned". Fact is, just about everybody knows hardship of one kind or another at one time or another - doesn't prove a thing, except that life is difficult for everyone, that it's utterly impersonal - the Universe is not out to get anyone.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Mike Cl

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 06:04:06 AM
That's it - they exist. They refuse to live. You can't live until you accept, embrace, death. As long as you go around believing that life is in infinite supply, you can spend what little life you really do have fucking around, believing - not thinking - that you'll get your "reward" on the "other side".  I listen to people all the time, muttering their faith in utter nonsense - "what goes around comes around" - "karma's a bitch" - "God doesn't like ugly" - all sorts of ridiculous statements that could not stand up to the most cursory of examinations. No matter how one defines evil, one can easily find an example of someone evil who died peacefully in bed, surrounded by loved ones, his/her fortune in tact, while millions of good people suffered the "tortures of the damned". Fact is, just about everybody knows hardship of one kind or another at one time or another - doesn't prove a thing, except that life is difficult for everyone, that it's utterly impersonal - the Universe is not out to get anyone.
Welcome, marom,..............to put it bluntly. :)  I am glad you can finally venture out into the world and into college.  So far your 'blunt' observations follow mine.  I agree with you--we are born, we live and we die.  And the universe does not care one way or the other.  It does not help or hinder................it just is.  As Joseph Campbell suggests--the purpose of life is to live.  Follow your bliss to get the most out of yours.  And I guess math is it for you--so pursue it to your hearts content.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AllPurposeAtheist

There's only one way to find out if you go to a better place when you die and it isn't from hanging out at atheistforums.com..
Hey! Have yourself buried 6 feet in the ground in a sealed box and report back on how it is in about 40 years from now.. I'm dying to find out.. Clearly there's a reason certain cemeteries are such popular tourist destinations..People are just dying to get in them!

I know..I know.. THAT'S NOT FUNNY!  I should be ashamed of myself for making fun of the dead.. and in all honesty I am ashamed..
Fucking funny though isn't it?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 04:07:20 AM
Hi. My name is Mark. I am 52 years-old. Because I am mentally ill (autism, obsessive/compulsive disorder, major depressive disorder)I have just now - after much treatment and therapy - gotten to where I can go to college. I am studying mathematics, my life-long passion.

I have spent most of my life in a shell and am not very good at socializing but am trying very hard to learn. I keep offending people w/o meaning to offend them, so I apologize in advance because I know that I will manage to offend somebody here - again, w/o meaning to do it. Mostly I offend people by being what I am told is "blunt". I cannot understand why anyone would want to obfuscate matters, but it seems that people do ... It seems that people do not die - they "pass away" and "go to better places" ???

Frankly, I find the outside World a very uncomfortable place. I find that I am surrounded by people who are desperate to believe the unbelievable - believe anything, so long as it is illogical and cannot be supported by any shred of evidence, everything from Big Foot to God. At my treatment center, I sit in silence, while my fellow group members amaze each other with their ghost stories - every bump in the night is proof of the Great Beyond. The anecdotal evidence of Grandma is better than the best laboratory to these people ... sigh ...

Anyway, I hope to talk to people here who are not so gullible - people who believe in logic, people who believe in - reality.

Welcome. This is cool- several people joining the forum and all of them should fit right in, just weird enough and alike enough to blend beautifully. New voices are always welcome. I'm 67 and retired and still trying new things. My mantra is that the only direction that matters is forward, and looking back with regret is what will kill you. Love that you are still seeking after new things. Never settle, always keep trying.

AllPurposeAtheist

I thought you were older than that Strom..like Strom Thurman old..  I learn something every day..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: marom1963 on April 14, 2016, 06:04:06 AMI listen to people all the time, muttering their faith in utter nonsense - "what goes around comes around" - "karma's a bitch" - "God doesn't like ugly" - all sorts of ridiculous statements that could not stand up to the most cursory of examinations.
That's true.  And yet, these are incredibly popular and longstanding beliefs all the same.  It is frustrating to deal with.

QuoteNo matter how one defines evil, one can easily find an example of someone evil who died peacefully in bed, surrounded by loved ones, his/her fortune in tact, while millions of good people suffered the "tortures of the damned".
Karma can be falsified with just a quick glance around Congress.