Arab Youth Survey shows declining support for ISIS

Started by Hydra009, April 13, 2016, 03:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/12/vast-majority-young-arabs-isis-shunning-poll

QuoteOnly 13% of Arab youths said they could imagine themselves supporting Isis even if it did not use much violence, down from 19% last year, while 50% saw it as the biggest problem facing the Middle East, up from 37% last year, according to the 2016 Arab Youth Survey.
Even 13% is worrying large, but it's down from 19%.  At least it's an improvement.

QuoteThe majority (53%) agreed that maintaining stability was more important than promoting democracy (28%). In 2011, 92% of Arab youth said “living in a democracy” was their most cherished wish.
Given the circumstances, particularly in Yemen and Syria, this is an understandable reaction.  Though I hope that after some sort of stability is attained, interest in democracy goes back on the upswing.  Clearly, autocracy isn't working out.

QuoteOverall, 39% of Arab youth viewed the bloody conflict in Syria as a proxy war fought by regional and global powers, 29% saw it as a revolution against the Bashar al-Assad regime, and 22% believed it was a civil war among Syrians.
Well, they're not wrong...

QuoteDivisions were also evident in Arab youth perceptions of the US, with 63% considering it an ally and 32% as an enemy.
I'm not sure how I should feel about this.  On one hand, a majority viewing the US as anything other than the Great Satan is a good thing.  On the other, the 32% who are like that is disturbing.

QuoteConcern about poor job prospects was observed across the Arab world, where one in four 15- to 24-year-olds are jobless â€" the highest youth unemployment on the planet, according to World Bank. The International Labour Organisation believes up to 75 million young people are without a job in Arab countries.
Hence the migrant crisis.