News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheist/Agnostic Tattoos. Good or Bad?

Started by Bluewind, April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluewind

If you had the option right now to get a permanent mark on your body (easily hidden spot or very public area) showing that you are an Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, or other type of non-theist, would you do it? Before you think about the pain and such, in this hypothetical situation the tattoo would be painless, instant, well designed to your taste, free, and can never be removed for the rest of your life.

Follow up questions
1. What is your opinion and reaction to those who get real world tattoos symbolizing that they are not theists and of the images themselves?
2. Would it be dangerous for those like us to have a visible tattoo showing their beliefs?
3. Is it hypocritical and/or wrong for people to get religious tattoos (which is a very popular subject for tattoos) if their holy text says it's wrong or a sin if it's done to show their faith?
There is beauty in a finite life.

Mr.Obvious

Not too big a fan of tatoos, honestly; don't see The appeal.
But if that's your thing, i don't see why not.

1. It's their bodies, they can do as they please with them as long as it don't hurt anyone other than them.
2. Not where i live. But i live in a very moderate place.
3. Wrong is a big word. Hypocritical? Maybe. Thoughiimagine ignorance would play a major role, like christians wearing mixed fabric and eating shrimp.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shukhov

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM
If you had the option right now to get a permanent mark on your body (easily hidden spot or very public area) showing that you are an Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, or other type of non-theist, would you do it? Before you think about the pain and such, in this hypothetical situation the tattoo would be painless, instant, well designed to your taste, free, and can never be removed for the rest of your life.

No, I wouldn't do this. For some reason it reminds me of SS and it's practice. I can't shake the feeling that such display of allegiance has some sinister overtones or at least it is my first reaction to such idea.

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AMFollow up questions
1. What is your opinion and reaction to those who get real world tattoos symbolizing that they are not theists and of the images themselves?

Don't care. It is not affecting my life.

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM2. Would it be dangerous for those like us to have a visible tattoo showing their beliefs?

Depends on location. I don't think that I would be in real danger in Poland though I can be wrong.

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM3. Is it hypocritical and/or wrong for people to get religious tattoos (which is a very popular subject for tattoos) if their holy text says it's wrong or a sin if it's done to show their faith?

Yes. But while hypocritical it don't hurt the others so I don't really care.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

PickelledEggs

Here's my view on tatoos. It's your body, so it's important that you don't care what other people think about what you get tattooed on you. I don't have any, but I do want some. I might get some blasphemous tattoos eventually when I get around to it, but whether or not other people approve or not, shouldn't bother you. You're decorating your body with art that you like from a tattoo artist that you like. Would you hang a painting on your wall because other people like it? no. You hang it on the wall because you like it. Same goes for your skin.

The concern about it being dangerous... I don't know where you live. If you live in Saudi Arabia, I would be careful with what you get. If you live in the south, maybe be careful? I live in NJ and most of the people I know either are non-religious or if they are religious, they aren't zealots. Only a few are fanatics, and they are so few that they wouldn't dare do something drastic. Maybe a few words about how they think I'm going to hell, but no threats or anything.

I personally say go for it, but that is all dependent on if it's safe for you, which in most areas of the U.S., for the most part it is safe.

Shiranu

If you like it and it means something to you, go for it. It's just flesh and blood, in 100 years how many people do you think will care that you marked your philosophy with ink upon your skin?

Then again, I am heavily biased towards tattoos, even if I have yet to get any done... as someone who loves anthropology, I want one simply for it's historical context as something mankind has done for thousands upon thousands of years, for spiritual reasons to simply aesthetics and rank. Tattoos are, in a historical context, one of the most human things in the world.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Bluewind

Interesting replies :)

I got this idea for a hypothetical question as I'm about to get my first tattoo and decided on a symbol I made for my beliefs. I happen to be talking to other people about it and got asked several questions. Would I still want it when I was 80, could my beliefs ever change, would I keep it hidden, would it cause me to get harassed, could I just wear my pendent which could be taken off when needed instead, and so on. They weren't being dismissive or negative, just cautiously supportive. I realized after just a few short months of saying I'm an atheist that I am willing to permanently mark myself as one until they day I die and I wondered if others would do it too if they had the chance. I've also talked to people (both like us and not) that disapprove of us getting non-theist themed tattoos as well as those who love the idea. I also found it hypocritical (not wrong) that Christian themed tattoos are very popular and usually well received even though they are in direct opposition of the bible.

PS: I'm in the southern US right in the bible belt in a very Christian town with far too many super Christians, but f*** um and feed um dry beans. I'm getting my ink and bring on the bible pelting ;)

PickelledEggs

If anyone tells you "tattoos are a commitment" just look them dead in the eye and say "Yeah, well even more of a commitment is the act of having a baby"

I personally wouldn't worry about if you will like it later on in life. I mean do a bit of thought about it, but don't obsess about it. As long as you aren't getting a heart with your girlfriend, you should be fine. You can always get a cover-up tattoo. Even if your view changes, and you get a tattoo now that is later on no longer describes you, it's a part of your life that had to do with you. It was a building block of who you are in your future self... your past is important and tattoos are like a history book of yourself.

I say do it up and fill your skin with ink. Post a picture in "Member Pictures" when you get it.

SGOS

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AM
If you had the option right now to get a permanent mark on your body (easily hidden spot or very public area) showing that you are an Atheist, Agnostic, Humanist, or other type of non-theist, would you do it?

Nope, not going to happen... ever, not even something neutral.  I'm not into tats of any sort.  I don't think they are attractive, and if they display some personal message that says who you are, I wouldn't give a shit anyway.

Hydra009

Quote from: Bluewind on April 13, 2016, 02:05:35 AMBefore you think about the pain and such, in this hypothetical situation the tattoo would be painless, instant, well designed to your taste, free, and can never be removed for the rest of your life.
The semi-permanence is the main drawback.  It'd have to be not only something that you like right now, but would enjoy having on you for years to come.  And if it's conspicuously placed, you have to take other people's reactions into account as well.  A lot of trouble for not much of a payoff, imo.

doorknob

Sorry but I never liked the idea of a permanent mark on your body. I change my taste a lot so that just would not do for me. Besides that's the first easiest way to identify you in case you ever decide to turn criminal. Not that I recommend that, But I'm just saying.

To each his own though.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 13, 2016, 10:22:52 AM
I have "666" tattooed on my butt.
That could be dangerous!  Read the wrong way, it would read 999.  Which would mean you are a Herman Cain fan. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Bluewind

Quote from: stromboli on April 13, 2016, 12:17:42 PM
To ward off Christian rapists?
Oh my god! This is just perfect. Made me laugh my ass off XD

Siberia

i've known Agnostics with religious tattoos (virgins, angels and cherubs, mostly) and 99% of those cases they are done as a sign of love to someone who actually was religious (a deceased family member, grandparent, generally)

Also there is the case of non theist that choose religious famous sculptures or paintings for the beauty of the image, without any meaning behind it.

BTW i've never seen "atheist tattoos", quite a bunch of devils, demons and inverted crosses (even some hot devil possessed nuns) but nothing "atheist" per se.

At least that's my experience as a tattooist

no one expects the spanish inquisition