News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Obligation to Respond

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, October 07, 2016, 02:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

The non-maniacally active graphic is more than sufficient.  Now that I actually can see what you write without extreme visual difficulty, I hope we can communicate.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 07, 2016, 02:39:19 PM
Do we have an obligation to respond to posts and comments directed at us on internet forums? I don't just mean this site, either: Reddit, YouTube comments, anywhere that people are likely to engage in discussions.

I ask this because there seems to be a trend in these places I frequent where people, upon voicing an unpopular opinion, become indignant at having to explain themselves: whether it's politics, religion, or discussing which Godzilla films are the best, I see this crop up everywhere. In those cases, wouldn't it be better to just be silent and move on?

Sometimes I refrain from responding to posts on this forum for various reasons, and one of those reasons is if I don't think I can respond without sounding childish. However, many people (myself included, I'm not perfect) will instead choose to dig a deeper hole for themselves, or say things like, "I don't have to justify my views." Even if you're correct, it comes off sounding like you're too thin-skinned to handle criticism. Eventually people start turning on you, not because what you say is necessarily incorrect, but simply because "fuck you."

Is there an obligation to respond in these situations, or are there times when a "down-vote and move on" approach is more warranted?

Hi, Hijiri - I don't think there is any OBLIGATION to respond to any post unless it is a question directed at you about a previous one from you.  I think we all should answer questions we have caused by our posts, and full answers are a responsibility. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 15, 2016, 09:43:06 AMI hate to ask, being new and all, but is there a way to block a particular poster.  Its not that I disagree with the opinions, but the very animated graphic is just too annoying while I am trying to make a considered reply in general.
I selectively block images that are obtrusive or annoying.  Chrome and Firefox have addons that allow you to do that easily.

One guy here used to have a huge animated sig that was hilarious for a full 5 minutes.  But after seeing it hundreds of times, it got pretty old and I ended up blocking his sig.  It was pretty funny, though.

Cavebear

You understand why your previous graphic was disturbing then.  I'm pleased to be able to read your posts focussing on the words now.