Main Menu

Well, look at that

Started by GurrenLagann, March 25, 2013, 05:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GurrenLagann

I opened up yesterday's Dallas Morning News, and I, of course found this:

[edit]

Continue laughing at my state.... :X
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Plu

There is no attachment.

NitzWalsh

It's sideways...

"Enjoy the beauty of a sunset, and then convince me that it all started with a big bang."

The "Hey look, pretty, therefore God." argument.

Should tell him, "Enjoy the beauty of a refugee camp with starving orphans and former child soldiers with missing limbs, and then convince me there is a god."
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

GurrenLagann

Damn phone. xD I'll type out what she said since the pocture quality there is crap.

I'm thinking of responding (it's in the Op-ed section), though if I actually want it published, I'll have to keep it clean (word-wise anyway). :)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

NitzWalsh

Yes, be insulting.

I need to start replying to stuff in my city paper, they have religious wackos writing articles on stuff all the time here.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"Yes, be insulting.

I need to start replying to stuff in my city paper, they have religious wackos writing articles on stuff all the time here.

You misunderstand me. I mean I can't be cursing like a sailor. I certainly will go mock them for what they said, just I'd like it to actually get published so they can (hopefully) see it.
[...]
-Christopher Hitchens

AllPurposeAtheist

Ironically Dallas County has a great indigent health care plan, Parkland Plus funded by...get this..... TAX PAYERS!

Those fucking bastards, huh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ApostateLois

Enjoy the beauty of a volcano blowing up and destroying entire towns and the people who lived in them.

Enjoy the beauty of floods and droughts destroying crops, causing people to starve to death.

Enjoy the beauty of tsunamis leaving millions dead, injured, or homeless.

Yeah, God gets all the credit for the pretty things, like flowers and mountains and sunsets, but none of the blame for other things that are scary and destructive. Whether good or bad, they are all part of the same planet. If God created nature, then he is responsible for all of it, not just the parts that Christians find beautiful.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

wolf39us

my eyes!!

I'm BLIND!

Solitary

Quote"A Creator started it all."
I've always known the Creator was the invisible Pink Unicorn that started it all from the invisible Tea Pot circling the sun speaking to me it out of its spout after he whistled to me.  8-)  Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote"A Creator started it all."
I've always known the Creator was the invisible Pink Unicorn that started it all from the invisible Tea Pot circling the sun speaking to me it out of its spout after he whistled to me.  8-)  Bill

That got me thinking:  

invisible Pink Unicorn + invisible Tea Pot + invisible Flying Spaghetti Monster = Holy Trinity

:P

RaptorRed

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Enjoy the beauty of a volcano blowing up and destroying entire towns and the people who lived in them.

Enjoy the beauty of floods and droughts destroying crops, causing people to starve to death.

Enjoy the beauty of tsunamis leaving millions dead, injured, or homeless.

Yeah, God gets all the credit for the pretty things, like flowers and mountains and sunsets, but none of the blame for other things that are scary and destructive. Whether good or bad, they are all part of the same planet. If God created nature, then he is responsible for all of it, not just the parts that Christians find beautiful.

Enjoy all the parasites, viruses, and harmful bacteria he created! Enjoy the beauty of those flies (bot flies?) that lay eggs in babies eyes and make them blind! Enjoy watching wild animals eat each other while they are still breathing and can feel pain!
\"There\'s only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that\'s your own self.\" ~ Aldous Huxley

\"It will be the proud boast of woman that she never contributed a line to the Bible.\" ~ George Foote

Savior2006

Quote from: "NitzWalsh"It's sideways...

"Enjoy the beauty of a sunset, and then convince me that it all started with a big bang."

The "Hey look, pretty, therefore God." argument.

Should tell him, "Enjoy the beauty of a refugee camp with starving orphans and former child soldiers with missing limbs, and then convince me there is a god."

Then the person says "that's the fault of human sin, and God can't be blamed for that" and then when you slap that argument around they scurry off to the next poorly thought out argument.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

WitchSabrina

My step-dad was the kindest, most soft spoken, quietly reverent man you'd ever meet.  After he served in the Navy he worked a pretty awful job from 5am to 2pm for over 40 years.  He made a schedule to visit new people moving into the neighborhood on behalf of his church.  He did that for over 40 yrs.  Served on every church committee there was.  Did the grounds cleanup for his church and wouldn't take a dime.  Had his tithing envelope in his hand every Sunday at 9am.  When he retired he worked with homeless shelters, built houses for humanity, gave his home grown vegetables to charity and taught the illiterate to read twice a week at a shelter.  He was faithfully at church every single Sunday of his life - right up to a week before cancer ate a hole in him from the inside out....so.............
Yes.............  enjoy the cancer you perfect soldier of Christ......... you complete selfless do-gooder.  It's Cancer for Yooou!

seriously?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

stromboli

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"My step-dad was the kindest, most soft spoken, quietly reverent man you'd ever meet.  After he served in the Navy he worked a pretty awful job from 5am to 2pm for over 40 years.  He made a schedule to visit new people moving into the neighborhood on behalf of his church.  He did that for over 40 yrs.  Served on every church committee there was.  Did the grounds cleanup for his church and wouldn't take a dime.  Had his tithing envelope in his hand every Sunday at 9am.  When he retired he worked with homeless shelters, built houses for humanity, gave his home grown vegetables to charity and taught the illiterate to read twice a week at a shelter.  He was faithfully at church every single Sunday of his life - right up to a week before cancer ate a hole in him from the inside out....so.............
Yes.............  enjoy the cancer you perfect soldier of Christ......... you complete selfless do-gooder.  It's Cancer for Yooou!

seriously?

Yeah. Echo the same story for my brother. School teacher, assistant principal, EMT for the town of Eureka- Bishop, counselor, carpenter who participated in building of countless homes, gave of himself when he couldn't afford it- died of liver failure at the age 45. This, a man who never drank, smoked, imbibed caffeine or ate anything but the healthiest food. The town of Eureka shut down for his funeral.