Archbishop Said He Didn't Know It Was Criminal To Have Sex With Children

Started by stromboli, February 01, 2016, 10:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

Quote from: stromboli on February 01, 2016, 10:04:37 AM
Good thing I'm not running things. Right now I'd be stuffing high explosives into the basement of every Catholic cathedral on the planet.
Why is that a "good thing"?  I wish you were running things.

Quote from: stromboli on February 01, 2016, 11:31:22 AM
You would have to be very far gone to not understand that basic morality.
Or Muslim, or in some Christian cult.

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 01, 2016, 11:57:19 AM
That's not relevant to this situation. This archbishop doesn't know having sex with children is wrong??? According to the church, even consenting sex between adults out of wedlock is wrong. Come on, this is pure lying.
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from a brain dead Catholic.  She was a teen girl at the time and had just found out my idiot cousin had gotten her pregnant.  The quote is, "I can't use birth control because I'm Catholic."  Well, yeah, but being Catholic means you also can't fuck some guy you're not married to, but it didn't stop you doing that!
This sentence is a lie...

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 01, 2016, 12:09:44 PM
I believe it is relevant because Shoe made it a point to say the guy was claiming an Alzheimer's (like) defense because he said he couldn't remember shit that happened 30 years ago. I say most people remember very few details for events that far back. Even important events.

I see your point. Just for clarifications: there's nothing in the article pointing he has any form of a mental disease - why this was brought up, I don't know, and Shoe is arguing he is being coached by the the lawyer to play stupid. You're arguing that it's easy to forget, even important events. The archbishop was assigned to investigate abuse cases, and he didn't know at the time that having sex with a child is wrong??? Well, if that is credible, then I have a bridge to nowhere to sell you...

drunkenshoe

Quote from: josephpalazzo on February 01, 2016, 12:25:58 PM
The archbishop was assigned to investigate abuse cases, and he didn't know at the time that having sex with a child is wrong??? Well, if that is credible, then I have a bridge to nowhere to sell you...

I even missed that point and treated him as just a perpetrator. (Which is not far off in his position) But yeah, selling a bridge phrase is pretty suitable for this situation.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Isn't authoritarianism wonderful?  One has to be very careful dealing fair with children, the mentally incompetent, and subordinates at work.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

If he really didn't know, he could have asked literally anyone. He didn't even need to consult a lawyer. He could have asked some random guy on the street.

What a load of shit. What a PIECE of shit. He knew it was illegal.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: SGOS on February 01, 2016, 10:56:48 AM
"I kind of knew it was wrong for adults, but I thought for priests it was one of the job perks.

You're probably onto something here - the Roman Catholic church seems to have a great deal more of a problem with kiddie-fiddling than other Christian denominations. 

Johan

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 01, 2016, 11:28:33 AM
I'm not defending this guy in any shape form or fashion, but I don't have a problem believing someone can't remember details from an event or conversation that took place 20 plus years ago. Even important events and conversations. Not necessarily due to age or dementia either.

Case in point. Sometime in the early 80s I witnessed (was involved in) a fatal automobile accident. I was sitting at the stoplight on a major intersection waiting to make a right hand turn. Our light was red, and I was looking left waiting on an opening in the traffic. Somebody on the same street I was didn't stop at got T-boned by someone coming from my left. One of the cars hit mine and did some minor damage. Once the cops got there I filled out an accident report, and told them what I saw.

Almost two years later to the day (the time limit for civil suit) I got a call from the lawyer for the estate of someone that died in the accident. He wanted me to testify in court that a specific car was the one that ran the light. I told him I would testify that the car traveling on Weatherly Road ran the light, but wouldn't say which car it was because I didn't remember those details. Asshole was pissed because I wouldn't because I wouldn't say what he wanted me to say, but I basically told him that was too fucking bad. He should have got in touch before that penguin got pushed off the iceberg.
Even though you couldn't recall for sure two years later exactly which car ran the red light, I'm pretty sure you could easily testify today that at the time of the accident, you knew full well that it was illegal to proceed on a red light. Mother fuck that guy and John Wayne!
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

A John Wayne hater? Avoid Utah. People here have effigies of him and still worship him. I always thought he was a poser.

Johan

Quote from: stromboli on February 01, 2016, 07:24:43 PM
A John Wayne hater? Avoid Utah. People here have effigies of him and still worship him. I always thought he was a poser.
Old Public Enemy lyric.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

trdsf

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on February 01, 2016, 06:03:49 PM
You're probably onto something here - the Roman Catholic church seems to have a great deal more of a problem with kiddie-fiddling than other Christian denominations.
True fact: the local Catholic Social Services office is at the intersection of Young and Gay.  I sometimes wonder if they chose that address deliberately...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

drunkenshoe

Quote from: trdsf on March 27, 2016, 02:01:45 AM
True fact: the local Catholic Social Services office is at the intersection of Young and Gay.  I sometimes wonder if they chose that address deliberately...

But then it has nothing to do with 'Young and Gay'. Not even remotely close.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

ApostateLois

It always amazes me that people who can remember pages of long, boring, repetitive prayers and magic spells in Latin, accompanied by every movement and detail of a multitude of equally long rituals, suddenly can't remember some crime they committed--or, in this case, even whether the crime was illegal. Funny how selective memory works that way.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"