News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Silencing the voices of reason

Started by reasonist, April 07, 2016, 10:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reasonist

Another secular blogger, Nazimuddin Samad, has been slaughtered in the open street last year. One of many atheist writers and bloggers to be chopped to death with machetes. On CNN today. A secular blogger has been sentenced to 1,000 (!) lashes and 10 years in prison in Saudi Arabia for having an opinion. Many more examples of religious intolerance are available on the internet. Fundamentalists of all faiths of course hate us; we tell them that they are wrong. But Muslims take it to a more sinister level.  Are we lucky to be able to write what we want? Can we ever take it for granted?
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

stromboli

Quote from: reasonist on April 07, 2016, 10:32:35 AM
Another secular blogger, Nazimuddin Samad, has been slaughtered in the open street last year. One of many atheist writers and bloggers to be chopped to death with machetes. On CNN today. A secular blogger has been sentenced to 1,000 (!) lashes and 10 years in prison in Saudi Arabia for having an opinion. Many more examples of religious intolerance are available on the internet. Fundamentalists of all faiths of course hate us; we tell them that they are wrong. But Muslims take it to a more sinister level.  Are we lucky to be able to write what we want? Can we ever take it for granted?

Funny how threatening someone can be by not believing in something. Lack of belief might be rampant in those countries, but expressing your opinion gets you killed.

MOO

Never take freedom of speech for granted. Say what you want when you want and challenge attitudes and ideas at your leisure.

Shukhov

Quote from: reasonist on April 07, 2016, 10:32:35 AM
Are we lucky to be able to write what we want? Can we ever take it for granted?

Yes, we are lucky. As for second question I don't think so. If nobody will stand for freedom then it could be taken away, most likely in name of security.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

George Santayana.

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth".

Mikhail Bakunin.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: reasonist on April 07, 2016, 10:32:35 AMMuslims
QuoteAtheistforums.com » Extraordinary Claims » Religion General Discussion » Christianity » Silencing the voices of reason
Pick one.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: MOO on April 08, 2016, 06:29:01 AM
Never take freedom of speech for granted. Say what you want when you want and challenge attitudes and ideas at your leisure.
Your avatar is amazing lol

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 12, 2016, 04:11:36 PM
Pick one.
I'll move it to the "general" religious discussion. It's sort of talking about Islamic censorship, but I can see how this conversation can also include christians.

It's not that big of a deal that this particular thread was in "christianity" but I'm feeling OCD today, so I'll make it nice and tidy.