News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wanna live for ever?

Started by doorknob, April 06, 2016, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yz__iHcDz0

I like the idea of not aging. I probably want to die some day though.

PickelledEggs

I agree that I probably would just want to die eventually... I like the body I have now though I would like that not to decay. Lately I've started to appreciate people's decisions to live fast and self-destructively... Not to the point where I actually want to be self-destructive myself, but I definitely see where they come from.
In the words of one of my friends that he said in response to someone that asked him to stop smoking and drinking so much "Why would I want to give up the things that make me happy so I can live a longer, more miserable life?"

I don't really like the idea of freezing myself to be "saved" for later though.... I don't really like the idea of being asleep for a prolonged period of time like that... I like experiencing things.

Unbeliever

Even if I lived for a billion years, my life would be only a tiny slice of time between two eternities of oblivion.

But still, I could enjoy it anyway. Just think what kinds of cool projects could be accomplished with that much time to play with?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

If you already are every person who has ever lived or ever will live ... you got your hands full already.  People are so hung up on their current individuality or jiva!  Atman is the incarnation of Brahman, the cosmic self.  One must not overly identify with the part you play, in the play.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

I wouldn't mind pouring my brain into a computer, if that's the sort of immortality we're talking about.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on April 06, 2016, 07:16:10 PM
If you already are every person who has ever lived or ever will live ... you got your hands full already.  People are so hung up on their current individuality or jiva!  Atman is the incarnation of Brahman, the cosmic self.  One must not overly identify with the part you play, in the play.

I thought Atman and Brahman were superheros...
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 07, 2016, 11:35:45 AM
I wouldn't mind pouring my brain into a computer, if that's the sort of immortality we're talking about.

I don't think there can be any true immortality (despite Tipler's Omega Point theory), because sooner or later some freak accident is bound to end it. Given "medical immortality" it's hard to see how the body (or other container of mind) can be perfectly protected, indefinitely. Especially given the likely far future state of the universe.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on April 07, 2016, 11:35:45 AM

So which will you be in Westworld ... the heartless gunslinger or the tart with a heart (literally) of gold?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Nonsensei

I definitely want the ability to decide when I die. I want that power. Without it, free will truly is an illusion.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 07, 2016, 05:48:57 PM
I don't think there can be any true immortality (despite Tipler's Omega Point theory), because sooner or later some freak accident is bound to end it. Given "medical immortality" it's hard to see how the body (or other container of mind) can be perfectly protected, indefinitely. Especially given the likely far future state of the universe.

Tupperware people ... still fresh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9H0qJzE_kU
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't have the least bit of interest in living forever. I look forward to dying someday although I'm in no hurry.  I'm already sick of having the same fucking stupid assed arguments with people and I don't see the human race as getting one iota smarter to stop having the same stupid arguments. Just let me die and be done with it.
There have been days, many in fact where I was tired of living. Those days will return sooner or later,  probably sooner than later.

This thread is already depressing me. I'm off to something less depressing.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 06, 2016, 06:34:31 PM
Even if I lived for a billion years, my life would be only a tiny slice of time between two eternities of oblivion.

I wonder if they would let you collect social security when you were 62?

AllPurposeAtheist

This is why suicide should be free and easy to buy at Walmart.. Knowing my shitty luck if you could just go buy a suicide kit guaranteed to work or your money back I'd always be broke when I wanted to buy one.  That's actually one of the reasons I never shot myself. Whenever I was suicidal and was thinking about buying a gun to do myself in I was always too broke to afford it.. I think that depression might have been related to my financial condition at the time..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 07, 2016, 09:51:27 PM
This is why suicide should be free and easy to buy at Walmart.. Knowing my shitty luck if you could just go buy a suicide kit guaranteed to work or your money back I'd always be broke when I wanted to buy one.  That's actually one of the reasons I never shot myself. Whenever I was suicidal and was thinking about buying a gun to do myself in I was always too broke to afford it.. I think that depression might have been related to my financial condition at the time..

My problem as I envision the scenario, is that by the time I need a gun to shoot myself (I'm thinking the onset of dementia, or a lingering terminal illness), I'll be too old and mentally incompetent to buy one.