PayPal makes good on its threat and cancels expansion in NC

Started by widdershins, April 06, 2016, 11:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: widdershins on April 12, 2016, 11:05:58 AM
That may well be the case.  It really doesn't matter to me.  What matters to me is the fascinating implosion of the religious right right now.  They have spent decades telling people that the way to really help America is for the people to lay down in the dirt and let large corporations march right over them, then thank the corporations for any injuries they suffered as a result and now not only are they turning on themselves, not only has their alarmist propaganda turned a large portion of their constituency and, thus, their party into raving lunatics, but now even their precious corporations are turning on them.  It's not big oil or anything, but PayPal isn't exactly a tiny company.  And while they may have private reasoning influencing their decisions, their public reasons are what's important here, especially when others, like Bruce Springsteen, pile it on too.

I suspect that the Religious Right's ties to corporate rule were just an affiliation with the Republican Party:  "Do whatever you want, and we will support you, as long as you promise to make abortion illegal."

widdershins

Quote from: SGOS on April 12, 2016, 12:42:31 PM
I suspect that the Religious Right's ties to corporate rule were just an affiliation with the Republican Party:  "Do whatever you want, and we will support you, as long as you promise to make abortion illegal."
I remember reading something, I believe within the last year or so, about the Republican party actually starting a courtship with religion at some point for the votes.  The corporate overlords are their real masters for most of them, but religion is an overflowing source of stupidity and bigotry which can easily be tapped with the right rhetoric and fear mongering.  Over the years religion and Republicans have kind of melded.  There are some religions where they believe it is their duty and right to take government office when possible to steer the country toward whatever particular cliff they wish we would all jump off from, so when the Republicans tied that knot they inadvertently laid the groundwork for their own takeover, just like they did with the Tea Party.

Really I don't know how the party has survived in any real sense this long.  They keep finding fringe groups full of stupid and anger and aligning themselves with those groups only to have those groups all but take over the party until now they're this disjointed group of a-holes who are so opinionated and difficult to get along with that they can't even come together sensibly on common goals.  It's like having a party of Rosie O'Donnells, but all with different opinions.

But they have some pretty smart people on their side, holding the party together somehow, and with the goal of winning "by any means necessary".  They have no problem with cheating at every turn.  They rig elections with redistricting, disenfranchise voters who are unlikely to vote Republican, run smear campaigns designed as legal proceedings against Democrats (Bill and Hillary have both seen this in abundance), spread misinformation, outright lie about the purpose of bills they're trying to pass, bitch and whine about how any election they lost wasn't fair, at least try to find a reason to impeach any duly elected Democrat president, offer "compromises" in the form of "You capitulate on this list of partisan demands and we won't burn the country down"...  In short the "religious" right is the slimiest bunch of politicians on the planet, as far as I can tell.
This sentence is a lie...

Hydra009

Update:

McCrory backpedaled a little bit and amended the bill, though it's little changed and done purely to give a false sense of compromise in order to placate detractors.  That didn't work and the opposition continues to mount.

NASCAR came out against it.  Their chairman is allegedly working behind the scenes to change the law.  Obama says the law should be overturnedEven Trump was critical of it.

And what's more, a federal appeals court ruled that a Virginia school that forced a transexual boy to use the men's bathroom violated a federal anti-discrimination law.  Since NC is in the same jurisdiction, this ruling will almost certainly affect our infamous bathroom bill.

I predict this bill will be dead by the end of this year.

AllPurposeAtheist

The NBA just pulled the AllStar game from NC.. That in itself isn't much, but these things are going to add up and NC along with other states with similar agendas are going to pay the piper..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

I hope that all the KKK elements can be concentrated into their home ranges ... so we can more effectively nuke them ;-(  The advent of the automobile allowed them to spread thru all the other states.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Baruch on April 23, 2016, 09:07:15 PM
I hope that all the KKK elements can be concentrated into their home ranges ... so we can more effectively nuke them ;-(  The advent of the automobile allowed them to spread thru all the other states.
I grew up near one of their strongholds, a shitty little shithole on the map called Greenville Ohio..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

widdershins

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 23, 2016, 03:48:44 PM
Update:

McCrory backpedaled a little bit and amended the bill, though it's little changed and done purely to give a false sense of compromise in order to placate detractors.  That didn't work and the opposition continues to mount.

NASCAR came out against it.  Their chairman is allegedly working behind the scenes to change the law.  Obama says the law should be overturnedEven Trump was critical of it.

And what's more, a federal appeals court ruled that a Virginia school that forced a transexual boy to use the men's bathroom violated a federal anti-discrimination law.  Since NC is in the same jurisdiction, this ruling will almost certainly affect our infamous bathroom bill.

I predict this bill will be dead by the end of this year.
I certainly hope so.  One big issue I have with the bill is one nobody is talking about, restricting local governments within the state from raising the minimum wage within their jurisdiction.  Fucking Republicans would like nothing more than to eliminate the minimum wage altogether and return to the system of indentured servitude and slavery (but by a different name) which "made America great" in the first place.  I really wish more people were talking about the rest of this horrible jack-off to Republicans of a bill.

SGOS

I see overturning the bill is being supported by many NC Churches, even by many evangelical sects. 

Jack89

Does this mean that Paypal will be closing their Global Operation Centre in Malaysia?

widdershins

Quote from: Jack89 on April 27, 2016, 11:23:23 AM
Does this mean that Paypal will be closing their Global Operation Centre in Malaysia?
Of course not.  Americans don't care about Malaysia.  If we had to care about what was going on in every little country then cheaply made shit at Wal-Mart would cost twice as much or more!  THEN where are we going to go at 3:00AM when we don't really want anything, but REALLY want to buy something?