Opioids from genetically engineered yeast

Started by PopeyesPappy, April 05, 2016, 11:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 27, 2016, 06:52:26 PM
Or we would burn out our ability to have pleasure at all.

Most likely .. the impact of excess, is to require ever greater stimulant, until the subject dies or attends an AA meeting.  Or Jenny Craig if eating is your sin.  Human beings are designed to fulfill needs in an austere environment, like Bushmen seeking water in the Kalahari.  Now that there are no Bushmen leading ancestral lives, the human race has gone completely bad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 27, 2016, 02:00:16 PM
Hmmmm, a major source of hard currency in certain areas of the world is opium. If the demand for that was to dry up...

What do you have against the CIA?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 27, 2016, 12:58:25 PM
If only the tricorder were real.

The Tribbles were the result of crazy bioengineering ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 27, 2016, 01:05:50 PM
The only real breakthrough I'm interested in with opioids is the ability to make them non-addictive.. Opium even in raw state is cheap and easy to produce so this sounds more like a money saving step for the drug manufacturers. The year mentioned doesn't mention that a crop of opium doesn't go bad just sitting on the shelf and can be grown in mass quantities quickly and easily.

A breakthrough like ... food that has no calories ... perfect for diabetics ... can eat all you want and not gain weight or get sick?  Eat sand.  It is cheap and has no calories, and I bet you can't get addicted to it.  Or maybe you can have this in a parallel universe different from ours;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2016, 08:12:44 PM
Drug companies don't like natural sources of drugs.  Also governments like that, because the drug companies can be controlled, but not the natural sources.  There is a weed in the Mohave as good as LSD ...
Share the tin foil, that's a good lad.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 29, 2016, 06:02:00 AM
Peyote?

What about it? It is a psychedelic cactus containing mescaline. It is awesome.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 28, 2016, 08:45:24 PM
Share the tin foil, that's a good lad.

The government also doesn't like free money, unless it is to the buddies, and they don't let you make your own.  Conspiracy theory?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 29, 2016, 06:02:00 AM
Peyote?

Only for certain Native Americans conducting certain religious ceremonies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2016, 07:05:35 PM
Only for certain Native Americans conducting certain religious ceremonies.

Yes, I bet everyone that takes peyote are part of said groups. That's bullshit, everyone should be able to take mescaline/peyote, if Native Americans can take peyote than "Cantheists" should be able to blaze one legally. My new religion Cocainism should allow all followers to snort a line legally, otherwise it'd violate my deeply held religion. People who are religious should be taken as seriously as Flat Earth proponents.

Up in the Great White North the sex education curriculum is pending changes due to some religious parents being offended and thinking that the curriculum might offend their delusions.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2016, 07:04:36 PM
The government also doesn't like free money, unless it is to the buddies, and they don't let you make your own.  Conspiracy theory?
Actually, that's just economics.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2016, 07:09:54 AM
Actually, that's just economics.

Yes, Congressmen never coordinate ... the WH and the Congress never are in secret agreement (watch out when some legislations flies thru without debate, that is the real thing, not the circus they usually show us).

Economics is people making a living, even government people.  Crime is how you get ahead in any society.  Smart criminals work for the government ... then their favorite crimes are legal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Actually it is court decisions, that allow for Native Americans to use peyote.  They are lawyers ... the true master race ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

doorknob

You know any wise guy who interested in drug dealing could be paying attention to this. Don't think there couldn't be a street version of this.

Like crystal meth only biological instead.

AllPurposeAtheist

To me this really sounds like an excuse to be able to jack up the cost of opiate pain medication. It's dirt fucking cheap to produce as is and the only reason it costs as much as it does now is because of the black market that was created by governments..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.