Opioids from genetically engineered yeast

Started by PopeyesPappy, April 05, 2016, 11:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

If we can get away from 270 mg. of oxycontin a day to something that doesn't constantly threaten full respiratory arrest, that would be nice.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

If they could develop pain medication with the ability of opiaiates to block pain without the near orgasmic feeling it offers to many people that would be huge.. I doubt many of you have ever shot heroin or morphine, but during withdrawal which is probably the worse feeling the body can feel without actually dying if you 'reup' it's almost instantaneous when injected and you go from feeling absolutely horrible to feeling great within seconds and that feeling is almost impossible to put into words so the average person can understand.. if they could ever eliminate that aspect of pain killers it would change medicine as we know it.
I think everyone should have to go through that at least once in their lives, but if they did 99% of the population would be hopeless addicts.. Probably not such a good idea after all..
To almost every addict I've ever known that feeling is better than sex.. People wonder why anyone would want to shoot heroin, but that's probably the biggest reason I can think of..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 31, 2016, 07:40:58 AM
If they could develop pain medication with the ability of opiaiates to block pain without the near orgasmic feeling it offers to many people that would be huge.. I doubt many of you have ever shot heroin or morphine, but during withdrawal which is probably the worse feeling the body can feel without actually dying if you 'reup' it's almost instantaneous when injected and you go from feeling absolutely horrible to feeling great within seconds and that feeling is almost impossible to put into words so the average person can understand.. if they could ever eliminate that aspect of pain killers it would change medicine as we know it.
I think everyone should have to go through that at least once in their lives, but if they did 99% of the population would be hopeless addicts.. Probably not such a good idea after all..
To almost every addict I've ever known that feeling is better than sex.. People wonder why anyone would want to shoot heroin, but that's probably the biggest reason I can think of..

In the hospital they put me on a morphine drip when I broke my leg.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop