News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rethinking Trump

Started by Hydra009, April 01, 2016, 11:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 01, 2016, 12:01:06 PMOH for fucks sake.

Good april fools joke, Hydra... Fuck you. :lol:
I would've gotten away with it, too - if it wasn't for if it weren't for you and Mike.  You guys picked up on it pretty fast!  I tried so hard to make it sound believable and reasonable enough to not set off any red flags.  The funny thing is, I'll say something completely ridiculous and obviously sarcastic and you guys will sometimes take that at face value.  But I try come up with a clever lie and you guys spot that a mile away.  Argh!

So yeah, I'm not planning on voting for Trump anytime soon.  I wasn't kidding about Trump being overly demonized or him using empty rhetoric to pander to the far right.  But it doesn't matter much whether he's a sincere lunatic or a sly conniver, that sort of rhetoric really burned a lot of bridges with leftists, including me.  I don't hate the guy, at least not like a lot of people in the left hate him, but I could never bring myself to vote for him.  If it comes down to him versus almost anyone, my vote is for almost anyone.

tl;dr April Fools, everybody!

Shiranu

QuoteYou know who I think he'd nominate to the Supreme Court?  The best people.

I lost it there.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 02, 2016, 02:48:28 AM
I would've gotten away with it, too - if it wasn't for if it weren't for you and Mike.  You guys picked up on it pretty fast! 

Well, if it's any consolation, you had me fooled.  It's just that I didn't know what to say to that post.

TomFoolery

I was thinking it was going to be an article about how Trump's candidacy was encouraging more blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims to vote. I skimmed, went to the last sentence expecting some kind of April Fool's reveal, got none, but still dismissed the entire thing as poppycock. I also held out a small sliver that you'd had some sort of neural event like an aneurism that might have drastically altered your thinking, but the spelling was too good. Well done, for ruffling some feathers. :)
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

gentle_dissident

I'm glad to be witnessing the historical campaign of Trump. The Drunken Master is laying waste to the Republican Party. In defending itself, it's having to spell out loud and clear its agenda.

Mermaid

I had a for-real dream that Donald Trump was trying to kill me.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

Quote from: Mermaid on April 02, 2016, 12:09:01 PM
I had a for-real dream that Donald Trump was trying to kill me.
We all did. Its still going on.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 02, 2016, 02:48:28 AM
I would've gotten away with it, too - if it wasn't for if it weren't for you and Mike.  You guys picked up on it pretty fast!  I tried so hard to make it sound believable and reasonable enough to not set off any red flags.  The funny thing is, I'll say something completely ridiculous and obviously sarcastic and you guys will sometimes take that at face value.  But I try come up with a clever lie and you guys spot that a mile away.  Argh!

So yeah, I'm not planning on voting for Trump anytime soon.  I wasn't kidding about Trump being overly demonized or him using empty rhetoric to pander to the far right.  But it doesn't matter much whether he's a sincere lunatic or a sly conniver, that sort of rhetoric really burned a lot of bridges with leftists, including me.  I don't hate the guy, at least not like a lot of people in the left hate him, but I could never bring myself to vote for him.  If it comes down to him versus almost anyone, my vote is for almost anyone.

tl;dr April Fools, everybody!
I realized what day it was. You had me for a second though lol

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mermaid on April 02, 2016, 12:09:01 PM
I had a for-real dream that Donald Drumpf was trying to kill me.

I am had that with Putin. But he wasn't trying to kill me. He was trying to kill everyone.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mermaid

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 02, 2016, 12:53:06 PM
I am had that with Putin. But he wasn't trying to kill me. He was trying to kill everyone.
I don't think that was a dream.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

SGOS

Quote from: gentle_dissident on April 02, 2016, 12:06:03 PM
I'm glad to be witnessing the historical campaign of Trump. The Drunken Master is laying waste to the Republican Party. In defending itself, it's having to spell out loud and clear its agenda.
A couple of years ago, the Republicans were all about, "Marriage is between a man and a woman," and that approach to gay marriage was played over and over.  A conservative friend used that argument as well, and I pointed out that this was just another form of discrimination.  He denied it, although he offered no support for his denial.  "No, no.  It's not discrimination," is all he said! 

Today (talk about spelling out the Republican agenda loud and clear), the party is actively attempting to pass state laws allowing discrimination against gay people.  And sometimes they even openly use the word "discriminate."  I never thought I see the day they openly admit that's what the ban on gay marriage was.  It seems to me it might be the last anti-gay tactic available. 

They would have preferred to ban gay marriage and appear all "goody-goody" about it, while walking around with shiny halos dancing above their heads , but now they are willing to pull out the stops and be openly unsavory.  It's petty, mean spirited, and pathetic.  Unfortunately, being petty, mean spirited, and pathetic appeals to much of the conservative base.

Baruch

So, we need to vote on the basis of people's nightmares?  I am sympathetic, but I thought y'all were free of hocus pocus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on April 02, 2016, 05:05:11 PM
So, we need to vote on the basis of people's nightmares?  I am sympathetic, but I thought y'all were free of hocus pocus.
What?