Xeroism - A Religion For Atheists

Started by Xerographica, March 30, 2016, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Just going to buck the trend and say there is nothing contradictory about being an atheist and religious; religious does not necessarily entail belief in a deity but rather just following the lifestyle guidelines of a religion. You can be culturally religious while not believing in the theology of it, and there is nothing illogical or wrong with that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Really?  I had not thought about that angle.  How would that work?  Seems to me it would simply be empty ritual.  But that could just be me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

Quote from: Shiranu on June 02, 2016, 02:03:16 PM
there is nothing illogical or wrong with that.
That is correct, because the amount of women a guy can hang out with increases. I've schmoozed churches. I'm not ashamed of it.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 02, 2016, 04:22:57 PM
Really?  I had not thought about that angle.  How would that work?  Seems to me it would simply be empty ritual.  But that could just be me.

I think it's all a perspective thing. What is or isn't "empty" ritual is completely subjective; they might find it brings them closer to their community, to their ancestors or heritage... or perhaps it gives them a sense of moral or "spiritual" satisfaction. Or it is just a routine they don't want to stop, even if the real reason to do it is something they don't believe in anymore.

QuoteThat is correct, because the amount of women a guy can hang out with increases. I've schmoozed churches. I'm not ashamed of it.
This guy knows what's up :P.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 02, 2016, 02:03:16 PM
Just going to buck the trend and say there is nothing contradictory about being an atheist and religious; religious does not necessarily entail belief in a deity but rather just following the lifestyle guidelines of a religion. You can be culturally religious while not believing in the theology of it, and there is nothing illogical or wrong with that.

Most Jews are secular in just that fashion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: stromboli on June 02, 2016, 09:52:55 AM
Everybody can become a minister. One or two people on the forum are already. I have considered it. If everyone was a minister in a religion and everybody applied for tax exemptions on that basis, the IRS might be forced into reexamining the free pass they give religion if everyone was avoiding taxes because of it.

http://www.themonastery.org/landing/get-ordained?gclid=CKi3zde-ic0CFQERaQodt5IPJQ

That is exactly why the Tang dynasty emperor, shut Buddhism and all other non-Chinese religions down, in 845 CE.  The monasteries had been granted tax exemption, and more and more peasants were becoming monks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

You schmooze a synagogue ... you debauch a church ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: stromboli on June 02, 2016, 09:52:55 AM
Everybody can become a minister. One or two people on the forum are already. I have considered it. If everyone was a minister in a religion and everybody applied for tax exemptions on that basis, the IRS might be forced into reexamining the free pass they give religion if everyone was avoiding taxes because of it.

http://www.themonastery.org/landing/get-ordained?gclid=CKi3zde-ic0CFQERaQodt5IPJQ
Aaaaaand now I'm a minister with an Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree. That's Dr. Hijiri, to y'all. :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

marom1963

I suppose that the drive for immortality is incessant and will lead someday to some sort of AI version of it. I do not like the idea of that. I believe that death gives meaning to life, not in the least way by cutting an individual off from the power that he/she enjoyed while alive ... Eventually, all power would wind up in the possession of a very few minds! - as money is already in the possession of a very few hands ...

Anyway, there would be no need to create a religion around this sort of new nightmare - but, of course, being stupid people quite possibly would.
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 03, 2016, 12:48:49 AM
Aaaaaand now I'm a minister with an Honorary Doctor of Divinity degree. That's Dr. Hijiri, to y'all. :lol:
Hey Doc--you can now communicate with God.  So, what is He up to these days?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 03, 2016, 08:59:22 AM
Hey Doc--you can now communicate with God.  So, what is He up to these days?????
Apparently he's just been jerking off this whole time. Who knew?

Fair and balanced (like Fox News).
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: Baruch on June 02, 2016, 11:19:28 PM

Lol. True. Were I of a less savory nature, I could advise how unscrupulous single men could get access to desperate women seeking husbands and take huge advantage of them. Mormonism is full of men who victimize women, and women who were raised to be victimized. And Christianity has their version of Mormon single's wards.

Flanker1Six

With all the bad stuff I've done at one time or another.............................I've never quite been able to lower myself to televangalism; though I wanted to.    :uchicken:

Baruch

Quote from: marom1963 on June 03, 2016, 12:58:10 AM
I suppose that the drive for immortality is incessant and will lead someday to some sort of AI version of it. I do not like the idea of that. I believe that death gives meaning to life, not in the least way by cutting an individual off from the power that he/she enjoyed while alive ... Eventually, all power would wind up in the possession of a very few minds! - as money is already in the possession of a very few hands ...

Anyway, there would be no need to create a religion around this sort of new nightmare - but, of course, being stupid people quite possibly would.

Brains in jars will spend their time betting quatloos on drill thralls in the arena.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Baruch on June 02, 2016, 11:19:28 PM
It would take a lot of effort to make the Catholic church more debauched than it already is... sorry, I have some morals.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan