Xeroism - A Religion For Atheists

Started by Xerographica, March 30, 2016, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

As you can tell from the title... I created a religion for atheists.  You can read about it here... Xeroism.

Unbeliever

I guess everything is absurd - at first glance.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

I can't take any written position seriously if it has emoticon within it...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

DeltaEpsilon

A religion for atheists is a contradiction in terms.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Baruch

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on March 30, 2016, 09:00:38 PM
A religion for atheists is a contradiction in terms.

Then it must be a form of zen ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SkyChief

Xeroism seems to have some of the crazy notions and ridiculous beliefs that other religions have. So that's a plus.

On the other hand, a religion for atheists makes about as much sense as a barber offering free haircuts to bald men.

Its an exercise in futility.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Xerographica

Quote from: SkyChief on March 30, 2016, 11:53:17 PM
Xeroism seems to have some of the crazy notions and ridiculous beliefs that other religions have. So that's a plus.
Are you capable of elaborating? 

Quote from: SkyChief on March 30, 2016, 11:53:17 PMOn the other hand, a religion for atheists makes about as much sense as a barber offering free haircuts to bald men.

Because... atheists aren't interested in immortality? 

drunkenshoe

I have serious problems with pre-determined political notions and religious beliefs being defined as positions and presented as 'options'.

Here is a realistic and a better option. Would you like fries with that?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: SkyChief on March 30, 2016, 11:53:17 PM

On the other hand, a religion for atheists makes about as much sense as a barber offering free haircuts to bald men.

Free is always good, especially if you can use additional coupons to get additional free haircuts for your baldness.  Are you against consumerism?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I'm afraid to participate in the poll.  It might be a trick.

SkyChief

Quote from: Xerographica on March 31, 2016, 03:21:37 AM
Are you capable of elaborating? 
Because... atheists aren't interested in immortality?

I will accept that some are. Some are are content living this life the best they can and then pass the torch to the new life.

The secondary reason I became atheist is because it requires zero effort on my part.  Its not a belief system, so it requires no thought or energy. It requires no faith in things that may or may not exist. Atheism is a world-view which is supported with Critical Thinking. Any faith-based religion does not meet the criteria of Critical Thinking.

Xeroism, at some level, requires a certain degree of faith in stuff that doesn't (yet) exist. That's why it is unappealing to me.
"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Feral Atheist

I can't take it serious until it achieves tax exempt status, then I'll look to see if there is a easy way to make a buck, tax free of course.
In dog beers I've only had one.

stromboli

Quote from: Feral Atheist on June 01, 2016, 05:24:57 PM
I can't take it serious until it achieves tax exempt status, then I'll look to see if there is a easy way to make a buck, tax free of course.

Everybody can become a minister. One or two people on the forum are already. I have considered it. If everyone was a minister in a religion and everybody applied for tax exemptions on that basis, the IRS might be forced into reexamining the free pass they give religion if everyone was avoiding taxes because of it.

http://www.themonastery.org/landing/get-ordained?gclid=CKi3zde-ic0CFQERaQodt5IPJQ

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on June 02, 2016, 09:52:55 AM
Everybody can become a minister. One or two people on the forum are already. I have considered it. If everyone was a minister in a religion and everybody applied for tax exemptions on that basis, the IRS might be forced into reexamining the free pass they give religion if everyone was avoiding taxes because of it.

http://www.themonastery.org/landing/get-ordained?gclid=CKi3zde-ic0CFQERaQodt5IPJQ
That started a little piece down the road from me in Modesto, CA.  I considered becoming a Doctor of Theology--but at the time, the $20 bucks was earmarked for something else. :)  Actually, my wife did join ($5) I think just to be able to marry people.  She likes to do that sort of thing and has performed 10ish weddings so far--including her  daughter's and step-daughter's (my daughter) weddings.  It is legal--so, for $5 (it was last time I looked) you too can become a minister.  :)))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 02, 2016, 01:12:00 PM
That started a little piece down the road from me in Modesto, CA.  I considered becoming a Doctor of Theology--but at the time, the $20 bucks was earmarked for something else. :)  Actually, my wife did join ($5) I think just to be able to marry people.  She likes to do that sort of thing and has performed 10ish weddings so far--including her  daughter's and step-daughter's (my daughter) weddings.  It is legal--so, for $5 (it was last time I looked) you too can become a minister.  :)))
Yup!  I stumbled into being ordained quite accidentally about fifteen years ago; I clicked on a button on their website and the next page congratulated me for becoming a new ULC minister.  I almost sent in the money a couple times, and always decided against it eventually.

I think technically I'm defrocked now since the last I read their terms, you are expected to profess a belief in some sort of higher power, even if they don't define who or how many.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan