News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Apology for thread

Started by DeltaEpsilon, March 28, 2016, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaEpsilon

I posted a thread titled "Anti-creationism is just arrational as creationism". I would like to apologize because that is not the case. I seem to have forgot one of the most fundamental arguments against creationism. The argument from improbability. The universe if vastly complex therefore it is improbable, but a god with the capacity to create such a universe is far more improbable, the two events are not equiprobable.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

Hydra009

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on March 28, 2016, 12:06:29 PMI posted a thread titled "Anti-creationism is just arrational as creationism". I would like to apologize because that is not the case.
Correct, though I'm not certain you're presenting the right reason why creationism is more irrational than evolution.  The theory of evolution is a scientific model regarding genetic change over time within a population/species.  Creationism is an article of faith.  These two operate on very different methodologies.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 28, 2016, 12:19:57 PM
Correct, though I'm not certain you're presenting the right reason why creationism is more irrational than evolution.  The theory of evolution is a scientific model regarding genetic change over time within a population/species.  Creationism is an article of faith.  These are two operate on very different methodologies.

Oh no. There is empirical evidence for evolution and none for creationism other than facile, a priori arguments. Some religious individuals believe a creator was the start of the evolution chain. Voltaire was a deist and believed that a god created the universe and "left us". Of course I accept that evolution is more rational than creationism, I am merely arguing against all forms of creationism including deism.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

aitm

When ancient man sat on the side of the hill and watched the sun and moon and stars slowly pass, it was certainly feasible to him that if he had the strength, he could hit one of them with a stone. The sun looks no further off than that hill over there.

As we now understand the breadth of the universe, we still cannot fully grasp the enormity of it. But those of us who believe we can truly understand that we cannot grasp it because of its enormity, realize the concept of a god that could create it, is so absurd that to even grant it a minuscule of possibility, but even less probability, is to force a conclusion that it is false, and should be considered a fact as it cannot possibly be granted any more probability nor possibility without something that would render enough evidence to completely verify the existence of a god.

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust