Doing the wrong thing just because....

Started by mykcob4, March 25, 2013, 12:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhilly

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "billhilly"My response to your OP didn't have anything to do with you using guns as one of your examples.  It had everything to do with your statement here:

QuoteThis is a real problem and is the core with what is wrong with this nation. If we could medically address the psychological phenomenon we could actually cure some deep seat social ills.
What causes people to act completely against their best interest? What allows seemingly well educated people to succumb to propaganda and efforts by the morally socially corrupt? Is there anything that can cure this problem? What is the cause and root of this problem?

The root cause of your "problem" is that some people disagree with you.  I'm sorry you got your little feelers hurt but your statement assumes this as fact and only questions the cause and what to do about it.

QuoteBack to the issue: I think that we as a nation have a situation not unlike the 1930s Germany where by a small minority was controlled by propaganda and the rest of that country just went along with it to their detrement.

Nice Godwin BTW............
What an utter lie. Here's your post and it has everything to do with your opposition to my view on guns:"Medically address the psychological phenomenon? So you want to medically "treat" people who disagree with you eh? I'm not surprised after reading some of your other posts. I actually agree with you on some issues and not on others. Do I get a half dose? Seriously, you're not helping you side of any argument with calls for doping people. I'm still not sure you're not a POE. If you're not, you're a good reason for your neighbors to own weapons."
So it is YOUR interjection of the gun issue and your assumption about what I mean about medically addressing the proplem that YOU made an issue here, not the issue of the thread at all.

Oh please.  Your reading comprehension is on par with your logic apparently.  My little jab about your neighbors having weapons was about having to live next door to a fool who thinks people who don't share his opinions have a medical issue that needs treatment.  My whole point was and is that you don't get to decide what is in other people's best interest, whether or not they've come to their opinions rationally or via propaganda, and you sure as hell don't get to label opposing opinions as a medical issue in need of treatment.  If I lived next door to a nut like that, I'd keep a wary eye on him too.

mykcob4

Oh please.  Your reading comprehension is on par with your logic apparently.  My little jab about your neighbors having weapons was about having to live next door to a fool who thinks people who don't share his opinions have a medical issue that needs treatment.  My whole point was and is that you don't get to decide what is in other people's best interest, whether or not they've come to their opinions rationally or via propaganda, and you sure as hell don't get to label opposing opinions as a medical issue in need of treatment.  If I lived next door to a nut like that, I'd keep a wary eye on him too.[/quote]
No you just don't like people whose views differ from YOURS so YOU call them all nut cases. You wanted to make this thread about ME instead of what it was intended and that is the fact of the matter. My thread was about the problem of reacting to propaganda to the point that one acts not in their own interest. I asked if it was a medical condition like Stockholm Syndrom or mass hysteria. From that you went into an exageration mode and started claiming that I wanted to drug people that didn't agree with me. It is you that is going overboard and acting irrational. The one you should be keeping an eye on is yourself, for it is YOU that is ranting!

billhilly

Dude, I'm fine with views that differ from my own.  I don't feel the need to make assumptions on how people come to them and I don't think they're a medical problem.

You didn't "ask" if it was a medical condition, you stated as much as I and others have pointed out by reposting your statements.  You only asked how to go about treating it.  

Yes, I made this about you.  People who make such statements should be called out on them.  There were and still are people who think being gay is a medical issue that needs to be treated for example.  Those assholes make the same arguments you are making complete with the propaganda/own best interest shtick.  It's bullshit when they do it and it's bullshit when you do it.  

There is plenty of information flying around from all points of view.  We don't need some self appointed arbitrator of the truth deciding who has and who hasn't been propagandized and how to "treat" the problem.  Make you arguments on the merits.  Some people are just going to believe some crazy shit regardless.  Don't be one of them by proclaiming them to be propagandized and in need of treatment.

Johan

Quote from: "mykcob4"You're right, you aren't worth it!
Nice.  :roll:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"Dude, I'm fine with views that differ from my own.  I don't feel the need to make assumptions on how people come to them and I don't think they're a medical problem.

You didn't "ask" if it was a medical condition, you stated as much as I and others have pointed out by reposting your statements.  You only asked how to go about treating it.  

Yes, I made this about you.  People who make such statements should be called out on them.  There were and still are people who think being gay is a medical issue that needs to be treated for example.  Those assholes make the same arguments you are making complete with the propaganda/own best interest shtick.  It's bullshit when they do it and it's bullshit when you do it.  

There is plenty of information flying around from all points of view.  We don't need some self appointed arbitrator of the truth deciding who has and who hasn't been propagandized and how to "treat" the problem.  Make you arguments on the merits.  Some people are just going to believe some crazy shit regardless.  Don't be one of them by proclaiming them to be propagandized and in need of treatment.
Sure hillbilly that is exactly what you did....NOT!

Smartmarzipan

Quick question.....why does owning a gun go against a person's self interest? I mean, forget the reason why they bought one. People buy things for stupid reasons all the time. And sometimes they made the decision after careful thought. Why are we talking about guns as if the purchase of one is bad for a person?
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Sal1981

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Quick question.....why does owning a gun go against a person's self interest? I mean, forget the reason why they bought one. People buy things for stupid reasons all the time. And sometimes they made the decision after careful thought. Why are we talking about guns as if the purchase of one is bad for a person?
Depends.

If they know how to handle it, go ahead. if not, then I'm skeptical.

Rejak

I can remember back in the early nineties when the Clinton administration was pushing for a ban on "assault rifles. I was browsing gun stores in search of pistol ( at the time I lived in a rather rough neighborhood and thought I should probably have one.) At the time AK-47s were about $300. I would have bought several of them but I just didn't have the money at the time A year later the legislation had passed and I could have sold them for $1300. If I had loaded an SUV down with them I'd have made enough money to buy a house. In a decent neighborhood yet!   On the other hand guns pretty much hold their value. If you pay a decent price for it to begin with and it doesn't get stolen it's pretty easy to get your money back out of it. Its a pretty low risk and in the face of a gun ban can be a high return investment

mykcob4

Quote from: "Rejak"I can remember back in the early nineties when the Clinton administration was pushing for a ban on "assault rifles. I was browsing gun stores in search of pistol ( at the time I lived in a rather rough neighborhood and thought I should probably have one.) At the time AK-47s were about $300. I would have bought several of them but I just didn't have the money at the time A year later the legislation had passed and I could have sold them for $1300. If I had loaded an SUV down with them I'd have made enough money to buy a house. In a decent neighborhood yet! On the other hand guns pretty much hold their value. If you pay a decent price for it to begin with and it doesn't get stolen it's pretty easy to get your money back out of it. Its a pretty low risk and in the face of a gun ban can be a high return investment
The problem guns are not and should not be an "investment"!