News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My friend.

Started by AspiringParagon, March 24, 2013, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AspiringParagon

***WARNING: This is me venting personal frustration with a friend, whom I do consider to still be one regardless of his obstinate behavior. If this does not interest you, turn back now and know that I hold no ill-will towards you for doing so. I merely wish to relate the issue for advice.***

My friend and I occasionally (might be understating here...) argue back and forth over opinions of his that I find irrational. What about them do I find irrational? Well, let's first start by saying that his opinions aren't usually religion-related, but they are nonetheless ridiculous. One such example is the argument I had with him today. He plays a MMORPG that he says he enjoys...even though he thinks the company purposely nerfs his favorite class again and again for no real reason (he honestly thinks it is a company motive against his favorite class...). He argues that many other players agree with his opinion (even stating that disagreeing with his opinion must mean "that all of this game's players must be wrong then"). This is silly, as he doesn't even KNOW the mere HANDFUL of people he is actually acquainted with.
 After some simple research on the game's forum, I find plenty of opinions from people that clash with my friend's. They go on to say that the game changed how things work with updates and one merely needs to adapt (as I have said many times...). They explain how they managed to make the class work for them and that it indeed doesn't suck. I point this out to him and he brushes it off saying that "they must be number one on their server than and are just that good", which completely contradicts what he is saying about his "favorite" class sucking. I then point THIS out to him and, after arguing a bit, I tell him he is being irrational and he says "just cause I am irrational, doesn't mean I am wrong".
 There are other topics where he is incredibly stubborn on and he just won't give ground despite the evidence and his lack thereof (this he denies outright). Another time (though seemingly religious but I think he was just trying to offer what he thought to be a point) he tried to say that there are people who say that a god isn't real because there is no viewable evidence on said god but they believe in air without seeing it. I tried to explain the fallacy behind this way of thinking and that we can indeed see air with the proper tools. We have evidence through the use of these tools. In arguments where he can't refute it, he simply chooses to be silent and, I assume, ignores what I say on the subject after that. Completely opting out of further conversation on the topic. He says he admits when he is wrong, but I can't recall where he has done that with me. He sometimes admits it to his wife when he is wrong, but not me (his friend) or nothing that I can currently recall (I may have forgotten such instances). I used to be bull-headed like he is being, but as I grew older and began to research things (Google is an awesome tool!) I learned that I can't believe things based on personal frustration or cause it seems to make sense to me. To me, this is what he is doing. He let's his emotions control his personal decision making. When it is challenged, he claims "oh your right, I am always wrong" (sarcastically) or "you guys never believe what I say" (which is incredibly wrong, because I have learned from him through social interaction on certain subjects as I have done so with many others).

In short, sometimes he makes generalizations, baseless assumptions, and states these things as fact (without any real reason to) based on his personal frustrations. This is, by definition, irrational. I know, nothing new with many beings of our species, but it nonetheless irritates me that people do stuff like this. I try to be civil and have a abundance of patience with people like this but it gets tested. Thoughts? Criticisms? Give me what you've got and I'll take it. Just please be respectful about it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Punch him in the face as hard as possible and tell him I influenced you to resort to violence and if he kicks the shit out of you blame some other guy.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Punch him in the face as hard as possible and tell him I influenced you to resort to violence and if he kicks the shit out of you blame some other guy.

It seems to me that this is a rather counter-productive idea.  [-X

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "AspiringParagon"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Punch him in the face as hard as possible and tell him I influenced you to resort to violence and if he kicks the shit out of you blame some other guy.

It seems to me that this is a rather counter-productive idea.  [-X
Productive Schmoductive.. Do it anyway. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Non Prophet

Advice? get better friends :)

Atheon

Quotenerfs his favorite class
Could you translate that into non-gamer English, please?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Thumpalumpacus

He probably needs to get laid.
<insert witty aphorism here>

stromboli

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"He probably needs to get laid.

This. Sage advice, my friend.  =D>

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "Atheon"

To nerf something is to make it weaker.

AspiringParagon

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"He probably needs to get laid.

This. Sage advice, my friend.  =D>

:/

Hydra009

It's an mmo term for when the devs failstick a particular class (usually by altering dps or proc rates or cooldowns).  Can ruin builds or even whole classes.  When that happens, either adapt or reroll.

Atheon

OK, now I guess I know what nerfing is. What's a class?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hydra009"
It's an mmo term for when the devs failstick a particular class (usually by altering dps or proc rates or cooldowns).  Can ruin builds or even whole classes.  When that happens, either adapt or reroll.

There were a few words in there ^ that I recognized.  
 :rollin:

As for the OP - I'm going with the get-laid idea.  In my experience (of the non-gaming sort)  getting laid solves a multitude of problems and helps the general outlook.
just sayin.......
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

BarkAtTheMoon

ELI5: A class is basically your character's combat job or specialty, eg. fighter, mage, thief, etc. if we're talking fantasy realm. Balance between classes is important in these type of games, and developers don't always get it right, particularly in MMO's with predicting how people will play the characters, so they nerf, or lower the strength of some abilities and stats, to try and bring an overpowered class in line with everyone else. They tend to swing it back and forth with it a lot of times with patches trying to keep the game balanced based on how the game's being played.

Regarding the OP, my advice is this and I'm assuming here you're fairly young: Most of your current friends are going to drop by the wayside at each phase change in your life and new ones will replace, whether you argue about stupid shit or get along great. It sucks to lose friends, but it will happen. No ifs ands or buts.

When you graduate from high school, when you graduate college, each time you change jobs, when you get married and/or have kids, when you or friends move. You will lose touch with a lot of people, outside of Facebook, with each event whether you think you will or not. The best you can do is have a core group of loyal friends that you can always count on no matter the state lines. Fringe friends will come and go. Enjoy the time you have, but don't sweat it hard if they drive you up a wall too often and you drift apart.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Hydra009

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"There were a few words in there ^ that I recognized.  
 :rollin:
You should hear the Teamspeak channel sometimes.  It's like listening to the police band with all the technical terms they use.   :-?

And what makes it worse is that individual mmos often have their own unique lingo, to say nothing of separate gaming genres (RTS, FPS, Fighting).  It can be a bit daunting for new players - let alone non-gamers - but it's really just a small list of basic terms incrementally built on throughout the years as new games come to the fore and add to it.  You're supposed to ease into it, not take it all in at once.