News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is the pope atheist?

Started by AdAstra95, March 27, 2016, 01:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I don't believe that any pope has ever believed in God - but that myth of Christ has served them well, it's been very lucrative.

How could a pope be considered the successor to Peter, who denied Jesus 3 times? I bet they have a ceremony for every new pope in which he ritually does just that.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I don't believe that any pope has ever believed in God - but that myth of Christ has served them well, it's been very lucrative.

How could a pope be considered the successor to Peter, who denied Jesus 3 times? I bet they have a ceremony for every new pope in which he ritually does just that.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 30, 2016, 07:59:15 PM

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 30, 2016, 08:03:11 PM

Holy quintuple post, Batman!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jack89

It would surprise me if the Pope has an anthropomorphic view of God since Catholic doctrine teaches otherwise. 

AllRight

It's a business... if they truly believed in the doctrine of Christ they would sell all their belongings an use the massive amounts of money to feed the hungry people in the world.

Mike Cl

Quote from: gentle_dissident on March 27, 2016, 12:25:09 PM
Does a bear wear a funny hat?
Nooo.......................but he shits in the woods. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: AdAstra95 on March 27, 2016, 01:52:08 AM
If the Pope can convince people he can "talk to god" when he knows he hasn't, does that mean he's atheist? Or just lying on god's behalf in the meantime? Or is he actually convinced he can talk to God?
Lying for god is not a bad thing--it's a christian thing and it is a tradition that goes all the way to prior to the beginning of that religion.  Of course the popes know they are lying--but they are doing it for you own good!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Pious lies are no problem at all for Christians:

Quote from: Eusebius of NicomediaIt will sometimes be necessary to use falsehood for the benefit of those who need such a mode of treatment.

Quote from: Catholic Encyclical X, 195We [Catholics] are also under an obligation to keep secrets faithfully. And sometimes the easiest way to fulfill that duty is to say what is false, or to tell a lie.

Quote from: Edwin F. Healy, S. J., Moral Guidance, 1960At times one is obliged in concience to veil the truth, for there are secrets to be guarded and detractions to be avoided. Sometimes silence will not suffice to maintain the secret which one is trying to guard. In fact, it may happen that silence would betray the secret. Hence there must be some licit means of concealing the truth when necessary. This licit means is the broad mental reservation....One way of putting the question is to ask if a false statement is always a lie. Some theologians answer in the negative....Sometimes it is necessary to make a false statement in order to protect secret knowledge. Silence or the use of mental reservation is not sufficient; the only way to protect the secret is to make a statement contrary to what....you know to be true.

Quote from: Beausobre (theologian)Christians not only do not say what they think, but they do say the direct contrary of what they think. Philosophers in their cabinets; out of them they are content with fables, though they well know they are fables. Nay, more: they deliver honest men to the executioner, for having uttered what they themselves know to be true. How many atheists and pagans have burned holy men under the pretext of heresy? Every day do hypocrites consecrate, and make people adore the host, though as well convinced as I am, that it is nothing but a bit of bread.

Quote from: Augustine, On Lying, c. 19It is lawful then, to him that discusses, disputes and preaches of things eternal, or to him that narrates of things temporal pertaining to religion or piety, to conceal at fitting times whatever seems fit to be concealed.

Quote from: Gregory of Nanzianus (in a letter to St. Jerome)A little jargon is all that is necessary to impose upon the people. The less they comprehend, the more they admire. Our forefathers and doctors have often said, not what they thought, but what circumstances and necessity dictated.

Quote from: Hermas, Visions of Hermas, vol. 2, ch. 3Oh Lord, I never spoke a true word in my life, I have always affirmed a lie as truth to all men, and no man contradicted me; instead, they all gave credit to my works.

Quote from: Martin LutherWhat would it matter if, for the sake of the Christian Church, one were to tell a big lie?

Quote from: Martin LutherWhat harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church...a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 01, 2016, 12:28:32 PM
Lying for god is not a bad thing--it's a christian thing and it is a tradition that goes all the way to prior to the beginning of that religion.  Of course the popes know they are lying--but they are doing it for you own good!
When I say that lying for god is not a bad thing, I mean in their own eyes.  It is simply a means to an end and that is all that matters to them.  So, if the pope is lying (and he is) it is because god allows it (so they tell themselves.)

widdershins

Are you kidding?  To right wingers he's something much, much worse.  He's a "liberal".
This sentence is a lie...

Jack89

Quote from: AllRight on April 01, 2016, 07:38:29 AM
It's a business... if they truly believed in the doctrine of Christ they would sell all their belongings an use the massive amounts of money to feed the hungry people in the world.
That would throw a monkey wrench into the marketing.  I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church is the largest single charitable organization in the world and they need the fancy churches, cathedrals, hospitals, schools, etc to keep the money coming in. 

Baruch

Quote from: Jack89 on April 01, 2016, 07:35:16 PM
That would throw a monkey wrench into the marketing.  I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church is the largest single charitable organization in the world and they need the fancy churches, cathedrals, hospitals, schools, etc to keep the money coming in.

Except it does matter how much a contribution for the poor, is eaten up with administrative expenses.  It is very expensive to run the largest, oldest organization on Earth.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.