Study: People With Higher IQs Don't Require A Large Social Circle

Started by stromboli, March 24, 2016, 04:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on March 28, 2016, 09:35:35 PM
I was going to look it up, but I was alway under the assumption that Ravens were the european version of crows…is that not right?  dammit, now I have to google….crap…..
Well, dammit, I was waiting for the answer, but you did not say.  So, I had to google it.  They apparently, originated from Asia and/or possibly Australia.  But now they are all over the world.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on March 24, 2016, 06:07:56 PM
There may be some overlap between "not the life of the party" and "oddball".

Oh, I'm an oddball, all right - but I can still be the life of the party with the proper social lubrication.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

DeltaEpsilon

Lots of people with high intelligence also have insomnia.
The fireworks in my head don't ever seem to stop

drunkenshoe

I move my right leg slightly up to itch the right side of my ass when sitting. I read an article on that habit suggesting I am smarter and certainly more intelligent than most people. And considering I'm always alone doing that and yawning from sleep deprivation, I am in awe of how special I am. 

:kiss:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

My social circle consists mostly of people that want me to build something, fix something or lend them money. Apparently I am one of those rare people that knows how to fix stuff, how to build stuff and has money. I'm popular!  :2thumbs:

Baruch

Quote from: DeltaEpsilon on August 29, 2016, 08:06:09 AM
Lots of people with high intelligence also have insomnia.

Thinking too much is bad for you.  In proper medication, you temporarily stop all that shit.  If there is no thought, then intelligence is transcended, because it becomes irrelevant.  At that point, if you have a rose nearby, you can actually smell that rose.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2016, 07:08:51 PM
Thinking too much is bad for you.  In proper medication, you temporarily stop all that shit.  If there is no thought, then intelligence is transcended, because it becomes irrelevant.  At that point, if you have a rose nearby, you can actually smell that rose.

Ya, like a wonderful concoction of benzodiazepenes, barbiturates, alcohol and pain killers, it'll stop you from thinking. Withdrawing from benzodiazepenes and GABA-ergic drugs can be very unpleasant, long term GABA-ergic drug users can develop seizures which lead to brain damage.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2016, 07:08:51 PM

The accumulation of knowledge and any relevant thought built on it in our time has been irrelavant to us -the people- for a long time now.

We are constantly given different popular aspects of what has passed roughly a 100 years ago and chewing the same gum in telephone game style. (I don't mean a conspiracy. Just a result of the net of relationships.)

*Goes straight to the rose.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Youssuf Ramadan

I'd say that smarted people interact on their own terms rather than needing to be in a herd and 'entertained' en masse....

Solomon Zorn

I started life with a higher than average intelligence, but I don't think I'm all that smart anymore.

My cousin likes to tell the story of the first time she saw me as a baby. She was a teenager, and I was in a crib. She came into my room, and my bottle was on the floor, so she picked it up and put it in my crib. I said, "It's probably sour," and she screamed, and ran out of the room. My mom said, "Oh! I forgot to tell you: he talks."

I was always near the top of my class in school. One shining moment I remember, in high-school, was when I showed a drafting teacher how to solve a problem the class was having with a series of arcs not matching up the way they should. It didn't seem to make any sense, because some students had them offset about 1/32 to one side, and others had them offset to the other side. She worked on it for about 20 minutes, and was starting to try trigonometry. I realized what she was doing and showed her the solution, which she then showed to the class: when measuring and drawing the arcs, you have to take into account the thickness of the pencil line, and measure from the appropriate side of the line, otherwise your results will be inconsistent.

I made a good impression on my teachers at Bible-college, as well, where I was regarded as an intellectual, right from the start, when I solved a logic-puzzle for a teacher, that none of his students had been able to solve previously.

Now though, I see so many people who have accomplished so much more, with or without a lot of intelligence, and I wonder if I really am all that smart. I feel that I've gained a lot of knowledge and wisdom, but applying it to the world sometimes eludes me.

As for friends, I used to have a lot of friends as a child. In fact, my yard was a play zone for a lot of the neighborhood kids(I attribute that to my well-loved parents, more than my own charm though). But now I'm much more of an introvert, and rarely socialize with more that two or three people at once.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

I don't think talking early has anything to do with superior intelligence though. It's a different thing about the child's environment and interaction.

My mother and father don't have the habit of talking about this kind of stuff and so I have learned it much later from adults and life time friends in the family mentioning specifically that I was 'talking like an adult' as a baby and that is something everyone remembers because apparently I creeped out people and made them uncomfortable. But on the other hand, I walked late compared to my peers. I also talked too fast when young, I am better now.

It's very explainable in my case and has nothing to do with any intelligence or gift. I was a planned but late came child, first child and first girl at my father's side, which wanted a baby girl. I had a granny -mom's- and two young intellectual men with no kids -uncles- two gone over the moon parents talking to me and, playing with me and paying attention to me FULL TIME. That's it.

I don't consider myself as someone with superior intelligence; or over average intelligence, because first of all I'm able to estimate the limits of my intelligence. I'm not special. I don't give any credit to IQ tests either. Considering my education and the private culture I grew up in, it is very normal that I wouldn't suffer low scores -which wouldn't affect me if I did pffft- and all of those tests are designed from western prototypes anyway. Rest is bullshit.

Real intelligence that is worth to talk about has nothing to do with the intelligence we have, guys. It's something in another league. It's something completely different.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 30, 2016, 07:56:40 AM
I started life with a higher than average intelligence, but I don't think I'm all that smart anymore.

My cousin likes to tell the story of the first time she saw me as a baby. She was a teenager, and I was in a crib. She came into my room, and my bottle was on the floor, so she picked it up and put it in my crib. I said, "It's probably sour," and she screamed, and ran out of the room. My mom said, "Oh! I forgot to tell you: he talks."

I was always near the top of my class in school. One shining moment I remember, in high-school, was when I showed a drafting teacher how to solve a problem the class was having with a series of arcs not matching up the way they should. It didn't seem to make any sense, because some students had them offset about 1/32 to one side, and others had them offset to the other side. She worked on it for about 20 minutes, and was starting to try trigonometry. I realized what she was doing and showed her the solution, which she then showed to the class: when measuring and drawing the arcs, you have to take into account the thickness of the pencil line, and measure from the appropriate side of the line, otherwise your results will be inconsistent.

I made a good impression on my teachers at Bible-college, as well, where I was regarded as an intellectual, right from the start, when I solved a logic-puzzle for a teacher, that none of his students had been able to solve previously.

Now though, I see so many people who have accomplished so much more, with or without a lot of intelligence, and I wonder if I really am all that smart. I feel that I've gained a lot of knowledge and wisdom, but applying it to the world sometimes eludes me.

As for friends, I used to have a lot of friends as a child. In fact, my yard was a play zone for a lot of the neighborhood kids(I attribute that to my well-loved parents, more than my own charm though). But now I'm much more of an introvert, and rarely socialize with more that two or three people at once.

It's not too late though.

Baruch

I am constantly reading, across multiple subjects.  I have always done that.  That improved my language development, because I liked to read good writers ... mostly non-fiction too.  Skill is practice, practice, practice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

I think most people would like to think they are smarter than the average Joe but I find most are just as mentally challenged as every one else.

I wouldn't wish to be normal, I'd wish to be exceptional.

DeltaEpsilon

Quote from: doorknob on August 30, 2016, 07:56:20 PM
I think most people would like to think they are smarter than the average Joe but I find most are just as mentally challenged as every one else.

I wouldn't wish to be normal, I'd wish to be exceptional.

Intelligent people, more than anyone, understand how little they know. It's often people that know little that think they know everything.