Study: People With Higher IQs Don't Require A Large Social Circle

Started by stromboli, March 24, 2016, 04:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gentle_dissident

Being an atheist, I have become aware of the consumerism that guides and controls the citizenry. I feel like it's my duty to get together with other atheists to build a new way of life that is about reality and not the rails of big biz/government. I find it difficult to work by myself to create and promote original art and music that promotes reality. I need other creative people who are gung ho about waking up the public. They can theoretically be retrained.

I also have practical ideas that need intelligent people to collaborate on. I see nothing wrong with getting people together into large groups working to save the planet. How else is it supposed to be done?

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 25, 2016, 12:40:38 AM
I attribute my preference for limited social interaction to my introverted brain, not intelligence. I'm not exceptionally intelligent.

http://www.quietrev.com/6-illustrations-that-show-what-its-like-in-an-introverts-head/#.VsXKpDXXbj4.facebook
Loved the link!  Once upon a time I was delving deeply into astrology.  I even had purchased the resources that allowed me to cast horoscopes.  Anyway, those introvert illustration points are often used to describe what a Libra (which is what I am--with a Libra rising, as well) is like.  :))))  Libra's are not noted for quick decisions--too much to weigh on each side.  Anyway, I can now let that last vestige of astrology thinking slide away to be be replaced by those more scientific explanations of how I process the world around me.  Thanks, GSO. :)) 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

These 'study' topics starting with "People With Higher IQs do/are..." are the reiki tiki fikiki of the nonreligious. And every one of them has a high IQ of course. I mean come on, they know there is no magic man in the sky, how genius is that?

With one dig you can get 9875667 articles why your IQ is probably higher than average. Everyone has a high IQ ffs.   

Are you depressed? You have a high IQ. You are itching your butt with your left hand? You are exceptional. You are drinking tea with no sugar? Oh you are super gifted. Are you an asshole? Ooo you are god damn genius.

I hate being an introvert. It sucks. And I am not shy or with low esteem or special or this or that. I'm just a fucking introvert.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 25, 2016, 09:16:32 PM
These 'study' topics starting with "People With Higher IQs do/are..." are the reiki tiki fikiki of the nonreligious. And every one of them has a high IQ of course. I mean come on, they know there is no magic man in the sky, how genius is that?

With one dig you can get 9875667 articles why your IQ is probably higher than average. Everyone has a high IQ ffs.   

Are you depressed? You have a high IQ. You are itching your butt with your left hand? You are exceptional. You are drinking tea with no sugar? Oh you are super gifted. Are you an asshole? Ooo you are god damn genius.

I hate being an introvert. It sucks. And I am not shy or with low esteem or special or this or that. I'm just a fucking introvert.

We see eye to eye on this..
The thing is it seems there are studies upon studies to tell us all how smart we are.  If you ask 1000 people at random if they think they're smarter than the average person they will almost always say they are. I think most of these studies are for the purpose of stroking egos and not much else.
Do you ever see a study that says that if you do things that everyone does it means you're dumber than a bag of dog shit? Of course not. Nobody wants to find out that they're considered fucking stupid by the rest of society.
We're all fucking geniuses and everyone gets a trophy.  Congratulations. You participated.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nonsensei

It strikes me that high and low iq are never defined in the article.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

gentle_dissident

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 25, 2016, 09:32:25 PM
If you ask 1000 people at random if they think they're smarter than the average person they will almost always say they are.
"Smart as" is all I've been able to muster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d5eP0wWLQY

AllRight

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2016, 08:58:52 AM
Libra's are not noted for quick decisions--too much to weigh on each side. 
Used to be really into it years ago, and I haven't thought through my beliefs on astrology yet, but that would explain a lot!  My sister is a Libra and it is painful to how long she takes sometimes to make even day to day decisions. I on the other hand go off half cocked most of the time and make decisions too hastily.

AllRight

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 25, 2016, 09:16:32 PM

I don't necessarily hate being an introvert, but it seems to me that society in general label people who don't always want to be around others as weird at best and at worst potential serial killers. My son was always happier as a young child playing by himself even on playgrounds when other kids were around.  I don't think that's good or bad, just different from the majority and I never wanted to force him to change who he is just to conform.

drunkenshoe

IQ score doesn't make people exceptional, genius or gifted. What people DO, what they CONTRIBUTE does. But today it has become and identity, a desired trait in a manner almost that counters physical attarctiveness. :lol: It is funny when you think, actually from an angle this gross high IQ culture is a reaction to the value soicety automatically gives to physical attractiveness.

Being seen as an highly intelligent, gifted individual is today very different than being physically attractive or rich as the 'winner' conditions go. You can get rich, you can get handsome or beautiful or sexy...and you can improve your intelligence of course, BUT you cannot become 'gifted' or a 'genius'. The basic idea is that you are either born 'gifted' or a 'genius' or you just don't have what it takes.

So this is actually not so much different than our Japense friend's sentiments of entitlement(s) of his 'superior' race in a way in its root. Having a personal trait that cannot be gained by hard work or cannot be bought by others doesn't matter how rich they are, but just can be possessed by birth; by being; having it naturally.

But of course again reality is very different. For someone -even wth a high or a monstorus IQ score- to make a real contribution, there are so many other factors involved...basically from just dumb luck to what kind of an environment they were born into or raised -again pretty much luck- to extreme hard work. That's what makes people a genius. Not having a high IQ.

There is literally a very little amount of people with exceptional potentials of intelligence in the world. And that is not limited with being good at math and natural sciences either. The most famous one, Albert Einstein is a genius because of what he accomplished, not because he had a high IQ. He was also born in to the 'right' place at the 'right' time. Had the 'right' gender. And most importantly had the will and the drive for that hard work; solving what is in front o fhim. Also he highly likely developed that genius on the way when he is splitting his brain with that potential.

Through out human history, tons of people with exceptional potentials died in mud doing something very stupid, a duty they were put by their soveriegn. Or sometimes had the wrong gender, was born in the wrong place.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllRight on March 26, 2016, 07:09:42 AM
I don't necessarily hate being an introvert, but it seems to me that society in general label people who don't always want to be around others as weird at best and at worst potential serial killers. My son was always happier as a young child playing by himself even on playgrounds when other kids were around.  I don't think that's good or bad, just different from the majority and I never wanted to force him to change who he is just to conform.

I hate it being an introvert now -as I reached 40- because I want to get away and get out from that general life style -which seems VERY difficult btw- and experience a different aspects of life. I'm changing constantly and that's what me is telling me to do but we alltogether fail at it miserably. I think I need it. I know I need it. Down side is here bombs are going off every where around me...and it is not practically safe. :lol: 

Other than that I don't think have a problem with what society labels me. At least I am not conscious of it and doesn't affect my life. I have tons of friends. I am a very out going person at the same time as an introvert. I am also accepted as myself among people around me according to their behaviours. But I don't know what would happen in deep waters of course,lol.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllRight on March 26, 2016, 07:00:21 AM
Used to be really into it years ago, and I haven't thought through my beliefs on astrology yet, but that would explain a lot!  My sister is a Libra and it is painful to how long she takes sometimes to make even day to day decisions. I on the other hand go off half cocked most of the time and make decisions too hastily.
Believe me, I can relate to your sister.  Much to the dismay of my wife.  :))  All I can say is that there are so many sides to every decision; even to things like--do I want those Hot Tamales?  Or the creme egg???????  So many sides...............I can even irritate myself, at times. 

So, what are you, sign wise??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllRight on March 26, 2016, 09:14:36 AM
Double Taurus
Bull headed---yep.  Decisions not too hard to make.  Hope you didn't marry a Libra, did you?

AllRight

nope an Aquarius.  I appreciate that he thinks through decisions and he appreciates my ability to make on the spot decisions when needed.  I think we complement one another pretty well.

My first husband was a Libra.  It was a disaster.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllRight on March 26, 2016, 10:24:32 AM
nope an Aquarius.  I appreciate that he thinks through decisions and he appreciates my ability to make on the spot decisions when needed.  I think we complement one another pretty well.

My first husband was a Libra.  It was a disaster.
Well, that was misdirected. :)))) Hmm.......I guess not misdirected--get your pug (cute dog) mixed up with aitm's--and I shouldn't, but I am.)   I am married to an Aquarius right now.  We get along just fine.  My first wife was an Aries (and so was Hitler :))))) and that was a disaster.  But it took me over 20 years to reach that realization and decision to end it. :))