Cop: "You're Recording Me? I Will Pull My Gun On You."

Started by Shiranu, March 23, 2016, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 01:25:22 PM
And also. The guy says "Oh now he thinks he's funny, recording me back"

Even that's pretty ballsy and seemingly suspicious.

-Sent from your mom

How is that suspicious? He is recording and describing his actions. He probbaly doesn't thear him.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

The most alarming thing is that how a bullying abusive reaction of a cop to a very simple thing is normalised here with 'what if he has done something?'.

The man made an official complaint about this, Pickel. Do you think he could do that if the cop was there for a report about him?  Bullshit.

But it seems like most people have already got used to and accepted this cop behaviour as a normal behaviour of an armed authority.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 24, 2016, 01:38:49 PM
The most alarming thing.....

Not to me. The most alarming thing to me is when some cop patrols the neighborhood some jackass throws a camera on him hoping to make himself an internet hero. If that had been anyone OTHER than a cop the guy probably would have got his ass pummeled.

Want to know why that would never happen to me?

Cause I am not a jack-ass moron looking to piss off the police so I can get my 15 minutes of fame.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 24, 2016, 01:32:54 PM
How is that suspicious? He is recording and describing his actions. He probbaly doesn't thear him.
It's suspicious because it's confrontational.

-Sent from your mom

drunkenshoe

Quote from: widdershins on March 24, 2016, 11:36:44 AM
I'm with Pickled on this one.  The cop did not pull a gun "on him", either.  He drew his weapon, but he never aimed it at him and he only drew it after asking the man to take his hand out of his pocket and the man responded, "No!".  If I were a cop, I would draw my weapon too at that point.  And the only reason we "know" that the cop stopped for no reason other than that the man was filming him is that the man makes that claim in this highly edited video.  Further, the man IMMEDIATELY gets confrontational.  Even from just his voice you can tell he's clearly agitated, a warning sign every officer is trained to watch for, I'm sure.  I can tell you from experience it makes a cop very, very nervous if you reach into your pocket while talking to them.  I did it once on instinct looking for my keys when an officer asked if there was anything illegal in my car.  I was immediately cuffed and searched.  I did not find that unreasonable.  He asked if I had anything illegal, I immediately reach for my pocket.

There are definite problems with our police force today.  That is absolutely undeniable.  But that doesn't mean every cop is dirty or every cop is out to shoot first and ask questions later.  This video is obviously edited to make the cop look absolutely as bad as possible and even with all that editing the man behind the camera still looks like the dick to me.  If that's the worst you could dredge up on the cop, never pointing his gun at you, never verbally threatening you, not even taking you down when you verbally and forcibly refuse to take your hand out of your pocket, instead choosing to become combative then probably nothing really happened.  In fact, at one point in the video the cop starts to raise his gun, but he stops before it's pointed at the guy.  What does that tell you?  Why would he raise is gun at all if he wasn't going to point it at the guy, and knowing that he was being recorded?  He saw something he identified as a possible threat and was getting ready to respond just in case he had to, but since he never identified it as a definite threat and had no desire to hurt the guy, the barrel never pointed at the suspect.

This man CLAIMS that the only reason this cop got out of the car was because he saw that he was being recorded.  Well, what happened to "Prove it or STFU"?  Because I see no proof of that here.  I see a belligerent man working very, very hard to escalate the situation and STILL only mildly succeeding.  A hand in your pocket IS threatening to a cop.  You may think, "What is that pocket going to hide compared to his gun?"  How about meth or some other substance which could be absorbed through the skin?  What about a used needle?  What about a bloody finger infected with Hepatitis?  There are PLENTY of things you could hide in a pocket which aren't weapons but are still a real threat.  Personally, I thought this cop acted with restraint and a damned site more respect than he was getting.

Nobody claimed every cop is dirty....strawman. We are talking about one cop here.

I wish you could read what you wrote up there from the perspective of a person who didn't grow up in a crazy gun culture, who wasn't programmed to think 'pulling a gun' is the first instinctive thing to do for a cop -or any person for that matter- because his hand is in his pocket when there is a simple situation of 'recording'  in broad day light, in suburbs. And we are talking about a man holding a cellphone with probably two hands looking to the scene from a camera and he emptied his pockets, but let's say he was with one hand for your sake.

A man followed by a cop with a pulled gun gets agitated. Really? Unfathomable.

Basically, most of the people here can't even think about a situation that a cop SHOULDN'T pull a gun. It's always a MUST 'because pockets are deep', 'they can never know' blah blah... because the average Joe from the suburban US could be the 'reincarnation' of Billy the Kid for all we know. Because most Americans are armed 'monsters' ready to shoot around everything that moves. Esp. cops ffs.

The learned paranoia, the programmed reaction; the fear instilled in most people looks unbelievable. I wish you could see it from outside. I reiterate, I live in a country where people drop dead like flies from two different terrorist groups AND we don't have this bullshit.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 02:14:16 PM

-Sent from your mom

That's not confrontation, Pickel. It's obvious that he is pissed off about being recorded and the man gets agitated -perfectly understandable- when he starts following him with a gun, instead of saying anything that makes sense. There are a tons of things for an offiicial to say in that situation. All the cop bummed about is "Are you a constitutionist?"

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on March 24, 2016, 01:50:06 PM
Not to me. The most alarming thing to me is when some cop patrols the neighborhood some jackass throws a camera on him hoping to make himself an internet hero. If that had been anyone OTHER than a cop the guy probably would have got his ass pummeled.

Want to know why that would never happen to me?

Cause I am not a jack-ass moron looking to piss off the police so I can get my 15 minutes of fame.

Yeah that's the issue here, aitm. A man -who actually made an offical complaint by the way- looking for a 15 mins fame in youtube. That's what is wrong here.

Sometimes you are talking exactly like a Turk. Not Turkish. A TURK.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 02:14:16 PM

-Sent from your mom
Yeah, in a country where it has been repeatedly demonstrated that we can't trust our own police force not to abuse their power just for shits and giggles, you're damn right people who are being closely watched by the cops are gonna get confrontational.  This cop was looking for trouble, and he found it. Real big surprise right there.

I know enough about police procedure to know that this cop was not doing things even close to the correct way. Taking out your gun and just holding it at your side? There is no police academy in America that will tell you to do that; hell, there's no firearm instructor period who will tell you to do that, and in fact most of them would say it's the worst thing you can do to diffuse a situation. Keep a hand on your holster ready to draw, sure, but holding it like some cheap thug is an act of intimidation. If the cop had properly drawn his weapon, pointed it forward, and ordered the guy to remove his hand from his pocket, you could at least say he was following proper protocol. The fact that he didn't tells me he knew he had no legal basis to detain this guy, and was only interested in intimidating him.

The fact that you're still defending this cop in spite of his blatant disregard for police protocol and proper handling of a firearm is, quite frankly, frightening.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

It doesn't matter if the cop was dispatched there or patrolling the area.

If the guy started recording him without anything even happening yet, it's suspicious. If he's under suspicion and he approaches the cop car with his hand in his pocket, it's not only suspicious, but also confrontational. (Not to mention that verbally harassing the cop about recording him back is confrontational in it's self.) Once it's confrontational, the cop needs to be ready to respond and be ready for the worst. Keep in mind, for a good part of this video (at least, maybe more and maybe the whole video) the cop was asking the guy to take his hands out of his pocket and at one point the guy even refused to.  That's even more suspicious and reason for caution.

PickelledEggs

I didn't know you went to police academy, Hijiri. Tell us more about your experience.

PickelledEggs

You guys seem to be ignoring the fact that he only pulled his gun after the boat guy started getting more confrontational with his words and started shouting at him. That is police protocol. To be ready to defend yourself.

Did I mention the guy had his hands in his pocket and the cop wasn't sure if it was a weapon? Oh. only about 4 or 5 times now? oh right. Ignore that too.

PickelledEggs

The events in order that they happened:

*guy with boat approaches cop car with hand in pocket*
*cop gets out of car and tells guy to take hand out of pocket*
guy with boat says "I have done absolutely nothing. No."
*cop takes gun out of holster and holds to the side*
*guy with boat tries ordering cop to put gun away*

Yeah. Smooth move, boat-guy...
What kind of IDIOT tells a cop "no" when the cop asks them to take their hand out of their pocket?

Atheon

If a cop tells you to take your hand out of your pocket, you take your hand out of your pocket.

The guy is lucky he's not black, or he would be dead.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Atheon on March 24, 2016, 03:23:17 PM
If a cop tells you to take your hand out of your pocket, you take your hand out of your pocket.

The guy is lucky he's not black, or he would be dead.

Indeed, he is lucky he is white.

He does. He empties his pocket to on a car. And he clearly declares himself unarmed.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 02:52:46 PM
You guys seem to be ignoring the fact that he only pulled his gun after the boat guy started getting more confrontational with his words and started shouting at him. That is police protocol. To be ready to defend yourself.

Did I mention the guy had his hands in his pocket and the cop wasn't sure if it was a weapon? Oh. only about 4 or 5 times now? oh right. Ignore that too.

Since you ignore the whole thing going down there bending backwards building an 'argument' on the word 'confrontation' and nothing more to defend an abusive, bullying cop, it is pretty much useless to discuss.