Cop: "You're Recording Me? I Will Pull My Gun On You."

Started by Shiranu, March 23, 2016, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

If the man had done anything required the cop stopping and acting the way he did, Pickel the first thing he would do was saying that his to face, esp. while being recorded.

NOT pulling a gun on a man whose hands are busy and focusing to record him. There is nothing in the video indicates that the cop actually was suspicious about the man, other than he started recording him. Why doesn't he say it out loud if there is? It's his first job to inform citizens what is that they are doing requires his intervention. Not to mention it could save his ass if this thing goes bad. Is he that stupid in a climate like this when this is a hot issue?

But an abusive cop who is generally pissed off about people recording cops while abusing and killing innocent people and perfectly know that nothing is actually going to happen here to himself can act like this very easily.

I don't get the general reaction about the civillian. Because forget everything said in the video, watch it mute...he is PULLING A GUN on someone recording him with a cellphone for fuck's sake. How could that be defended as 'we don't know what he did'?

What could have he done in day light in front of his own house that needs A cop PULL A GUN on him when he is busy recording it AFTERWARDS? Seriously?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Simple idea I would like to share.

Do as the officer asks, he has a gun, afterward you can file a compliant and maybe make a shit load of money. Win!
Ignore the officer, get defensive with officer with a pulled gun, get mouthy with officer with pulled gun, make your beneficiaries rich. Win for them!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

widdershins

I'm with Pickled on this one.  The cop did not pull a gun "on him", either.  He drew his weapon, but he never aimed it at him and he only drew it after asking the man to take his hand out of his pocket and the man responded, "No!".  If I were a cop, I would draw my weapon too at that point.  And the only reason we "know" that the cop stopped for no reason other than that the man was filming him is that the man makes that claim in this highly edited video.  Further, the man IMMEDIATELY gets confrontational.  Even from just his voice you can tell he's clearly agitated, a warning sign every officer is trained to watch for, I'm sure.  I can tell you from experience it makes a cop very, very nervous if you reach into your pocket while talking to them.  I did it once on instinct looking for my keys when an officer asked if there was anything illegal in my car.  I was immediately cuffed and searched.  I did not find that unreasonable.  He asked if I had anything illegal, I immediately reach for my pocket.

There are definite problems with our police force today.  That is absolutely undeniable.  But that doesn't mean every cop is dirty or every cop is out to shoot first and ask questions later.  This video is obviously edited to make the cop look absolutely as bad as possible and even with all that editing the man behind the camera still looks like the dick to me.  If that's the worst you could dredge up on the cop, never pointing his gun at you, never verbally threatening you, not even taking you down when you verbally and forcibly refuse to take your hand out of your pocket, instead choosing to become combative then probably nothing really happened.  In fact, at one point in the video the cop starts to raise his gun, but he stops before it's pointed at the guy.  What does that tell you?  Why would he raise is gun at all if he wasn't going to point it at the guy, and knowing that he was being recorded?  He saw something he identified as a possible threat and was getting ready to respond just in case he had to, but since he never identified it as a definite threat and had no desire to hurt the guy, the barrel never pointed at the suspect.

This man CLAIMS that the only reason this cop got out of the car was because he saw that he was being recorded.  Well, what happened to "Prove it or STFU"?  Because I see no proof of that here.  I see a belligerent man working very, very hard to escalate the situation and STILL only mildly succeeding.  A hand in your pocket IS threatening to a cop.  You may think, "What is that pocket going to hide compared to his gun?"  How about meth or some other substance which could be absorbed through the skin?  What about a used needle?  What about a bloody finger infected with Hepatitis?  There are PLENTY of things you could hide in a pocket which aren't weapons but are still a real threat.  Personally, I thought this cop acted with restraint and a damned site more respect than he was getting.
This sentence is a lie...

PickelledEggs

If you also notice. The cop only pulls his gun out of his holster AFTER the guy shouts at him. The guy is suspicious even to a viewer. I don't even like cops, but I have to side with this one in this video.

Hijiri Byakuren

It's pretty clear from the video that the cop only stopped his car in the first place because he noticed he was being recorded. Everything that followed is entirely on him for deciding to pick that confrontation. Could the cameraman have handled it better? Absolutely. Is it ultimately his fault for this confrontation happening? No.

When it comes to people who are given authority over other people, the phrase, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear," absolutely applies.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 24, 2016, 12:29:25 PM
It's pretty clear from the video that the cop only stopped his car in the first place because he noticed he was being recorded.
No it isn't. There isn't enough information in the video to say one way or another. The video "claims" a lot of things, but shows zero information supporting it and conveniently has all the video where something would have happened to trigger something else cut out. Like the little strip of time between where the cop was recording the guy and the cop getting out of his car.

It's all cut out and you do not know that the cop just so happened to be driving around the neighborhood... and in a dead-end street... and decided to harass this guy at the end of the street.

You don't know why the cop was there in the first place. You don't know why the cop was recording the guy. What we DO know is that the cop told the guy to take his hand out of his pocket many times. If the cop was dispatched there because of a disturbance of some sort by a neighbor or something, the cop would have reason to be suspicious off the bat.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 12:40:09 PM
No it isn't. There isn't enough information in the video to say one way or another. The video "claims" a lot of things, but shows zero information supporting it and conveniently has all the video where something would have happened to trigger something else cut out. Like the little strip of time between where the cop was recording the guy and the cop getting out of his car.

It's all cut out and you do not know that the cop just so happened to be driving around the neighborhood... and in a dead-end street... and decided to harass this guy at the end of the street.

You don't know why the cop was there in the first place. You don't know why the cop was recording the guy. What we DO know is that the cop told the guy to take his hand out of his pocket many times. If the cop was dispatched there because of a disturbance of some sort by a neighbor or something, the cop would have reason to be suspicious off the bat.
The full uncut video suggests otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYONo5LeWDs

First of all, we can clearly see the boat he's working on as he backs away from the cop. We can clearly see him empty his pockets out onto the car. The cop knows for a fact that he's not armed. Any claim to the contrary after that part of the video is total horse shit.

Again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the cameraman could have handled it better, he certainly could have. But the fact of the matter is that the cop initiated and escalated an unnecessary confrontation.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

While I agree that everyone has the right to video anybody in the public space, I would have to ask the guy what was the purpose of the video in the first place?

I don't how batshit crazy the rest of you are, but if a cop car comes down my street I welcome it. I wave and if he stopped would go over and talk to him. I can tell you one thing I would NOT do. Stop what I am doing and throw a camera at him. Really? Do you think he is going to pull into someones driveway and rob a house?

Maybe, if a cop was driving down a street and suddenly a guy stops fucking with a boat he might be stealing and starts recording him, he might be thinking this guy is expecting to get arrested and wants make sure he doesn't  get the shit beat outa him. Let's see what the fuck is up to.

If that was not a cop car but a car full of black kids, he would have been accused of racism just by videoing them eh, and everybody would be saying, why that fucker was just stirring up them innocent kids and getting them all excited so they stopped and beat the fuck outa the guy and mother fucker deserved it too.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

"We're at that address" Suggests that he was called there.

Also. If he was called there and there for reasons to be suspicious of this guy (noise complaint/suspicious activity/etc)... the guy approaching his car would be a reasonable possible threat, which seems like the reason the cop got out. Everyone knows you do not approach a cop car when they are pulling someone over or interrogating someone. It's protocol. That doesn't change if it's the guy that is under suspicion or even not under suspicion, but if he was only called over there to check something out. If the guy looks unnecessarily spooked, there is reason to be suspicious and cautious.

PickelledEggs

Oh. And another thing.

The guy is complaining about the cop driving around the area? Isn't that called "patrolling"? And isn't that why another word for "cop car" is "patrol car"? That is the police's JOB... To patrol.

Seems to me like the officer was doing his job and only responding to what seemed like a potentially hostile guy. Even in the full video that you provided, Hijiri it comes off as that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 24, 2016, 12:23:53 PM
If you also notice. The cop only pulls his gun out of his holster AFTER the guy shouts at him. The guy is suspicious even to a viewer. I don't even like cops, but I have to side with this one in this video.

Shouts at him? It doesn't flow that way. The only reason that cop gets out of his car in the first place BECAUSE he is being recorded. And he pulls out of his gun to SCARE him afterwards. Also, in a country where cop brutality is a hot issue it is very normal for someone to panic and raise their voice in that situation.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 24, 2016, 01:16:06 PM
Shouts at him? It doesn't flow that way. The only reason that cop gets out of his car in the first place BECAUSE he is being recorded. And he pulls out of his gun to SCARE him afterwards. Also, in a country where cop brutality is a hot issue it is very normal for someone to panic and raise their voice in that situation.
From the second video, the cop gets out of his car after the guy gets closer. If the guy is suspected of something and then he approaches the cop car, that is plenty reason for the cop to get out.

And then the cop pulls good gun after the guy gets loud with him.

-Sent from your mom

PickelledEggs

And also. The guy says "Oh now he thinks he's funny, recording me back"

Even that's pretty ballsy and seemingly suspicious.

-Sent from your mom

drunkenshoe

Yes I heard the "We are at the address" too. That actually raises suspicion against the cop under this circumstances. By the way who is we? He is alone in the car. And he sounds pretty much like trying to scare the guy with that.

If there was a real dangerous reason, if he got complaint, or a report, he would declare it as soon as he got out of the car or jump with his gun pulled out of the car and inform him not to move. 

But what does he do? He stops because he is annoyed of being recorded, he gets into a squabble with a man about being recorded, trying to scare him and ask him if he was a "Constitutionist". That's not a behaviour of a cop who got a complaint.

That cop is not a rookie. Look at his age.

aitm

Frankly I didn't watch the whole thing. Once the guy started recording I figured he was out to make himself an internet star or just wanting to stir up some shit. Or both.